Community Calendar: Sunday 21st June Call of Cthulhu FG Taster Session

Event Title: Sunday 21st June Call of Cthulhu FG Taster Session
Event Author: Middle Class Caveman
Calendar: Community Calendar
Event Date: 06/21/2020 03:00 PM

Hi folks, 

I have been commissioned by @Diddums to lead a taster session for a different type of game. As you all probably know I play a bit of D&D on a Wednesday, I absolutely love it and it's really immersive and fun. So we are going to try the table top role playing game style here at FG. 

Using Discord and a little bit of preparation we will be able to go on an amazing journey of the mind! Call of Cthulhu is a HP Lovecraft inspired adventure game (think Scientology.....yeh that guy!) which is based on mystery solving, the occult and mythos. Games are generally story driven (rather than battle driven like D&D) which allow players to be more immersive in their characters and skills. 

To give you an 'idiots guide' what will happen is that I will lead a group of you on a 'mission' to solve a mystery (kind of like scooby do!) based around a certain time period, event or creature. An example of a previous campaign i've run is that of the Mary Celeste and some spontaneous murders that have occurred. My group of characters had to work out what was causing the murders (ghosts of the Mary Celeste) and how to stop that (spectral mirror to let the ghosts know they were dead and to fuck off to the after life). 

The big 'fun' of CoC is that the more you learn about the occult and mythos, the more sanity you lose....this creates a unique challenge because the more you know, the less you can do (as a character) so you have to become creative. 

All we are going to need is 4 - 6 players, you have some a choice from there which I'd like to comment on below. You can either create your own character or use one of my pre-made ones, let me know below if you intend to play and what you'd like to do visa-vi character. 

You can either buy some cheap dice from amazon or use an app on your phone, i'm not really too worried about that.

We are tentatively going to say next Sunday 21st June with a 3pm kick off time, the session will last 3-4 hours as i'd like to get you through a full short campaign.

Peace and love

Elliott

Sunday 21st June Call of Cthulhu FG Taster Session

N.B. If viewing this via the FG App, please visit the Calendar event via browser to RSVP. Thanks.

signatures small.jpg

Event Title: Sunday 21st June Call of Cthulhu FG Taster Session
Event Author: Middle Class Caveman
Calendar: Community Calendar
Event Date: 06/21/2020 03:00 PM

Hi folks, 

I have been commissioned by [mention=1]Diddums[/mention] to lead a taster session for a different type of game. As you all probably know I play a bit of D&D on a Wednesday, I absolutely love it and it's really immersive and fun. So we are going to try the table top role playing game style here at FG. 

Using Discord and a little bit of preparation we will be able to go on an amazing journey of the mind! Call of Cthulhu is a HP Lovecraft inspired adventure game (think Scientology.....yeh that guy!) which is based on mystery solving, the occult and mythos. Games are generally story driven (rather than battle driven like D&D) which allow players to be more immersive in their characters and skills. 

To give you an 'idiots guide' what will happen is that I will lead a group of you on a 'mission' to solve a mystery (kind of like scooby do!) based around a certain time period, event or creature. An example of a previous campaign i've run is that of the Mary Celeste and some spontaneous murders that have occurred. My group of characters had to work out what was causing the murders (ghosts of the Mary Celeste) and how to stop that (spectral mirror to let the ghosts know they were dead and to fuck off to the after life). 

The big 'fun' of CoC is that the more you learn about the occult and mythos, the more sanity you lose....this creates a unique challenge because the more you know, the less you can do (as a character) so you have to become creative. 

All we are going to need is 4 - 6 players, you have some a choice from there which I'd like to comment on below. You can either create your own character or use one of my pre-made ones, let me know below if you intend to play and what you'd like to do visa-vi character. 

You can either buy some cheap dice from amazon or use an app on your phone, i'm not really too worried about that.

We are tentatively going to say next Sunday 21st June with a 3pm kick off time, the session will last 3-4 hours as i'd like to get you through a full short campaign.

Peace and love
Elliott
Sunday 21st June Call of Cthulhu FG Taster Session

N.B. If viewing this via the FG App, please visit the Calendar event via browser to RSVP. Thanks.

Scientology is L Ron Hubbard silly[emoji16]

H.P Lovecraft is also in interesting character, I still remember the day I found out he was a massive bellend racist. He created an amazing new genre within horror, cosmic horror, and the mythos has been built upon by subsequent generations of writers. Suffice to say, I highly recommend reading the books and I've heard the rpg is amazeballs, so yes nice one Ellie, I'm well up for it[emoji847]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

25 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Scientology is L Ron Hubbard sillyemoji16.png

H.P Lovecraft is also in interesting character, I still remember the day I found out he was a massive bellend racist. He created an amazing new genre within horror, cosmic horror, and the mythos has been built upon by subsequent generations of writers. Suffice to say, I highly recommend reading the books and I've heard the rpg is amazeballs, so yes nice one Ellie, I'm well up for itemoji847.png

I can’t believe I thought they were the same person! In my bones I believed that.....and I’ve been wrong all this time! 

I know you play TTRPG’s already so you will be a great person to have playing with us!

signatures small.jpg

36 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I might have an early edition of the it somewhere in hardback, I'll have a look but I suppose theres a specific edition you use?

mom just using the 5th edition book as it’s the one I’ve played the whole time, the book isn’t all that important to be honest, that’s what is great about Cthulhu - it’s very loose!

EE1C0A66-666B-4531-878E-B20FCF8610D8.jpeg

signatures small.jpg

mom just using the 5th edition book as it’s the one I’ve played the whole time, the book isn’t all that important to be honest, that’s what is great about Cthulhu - it’s very loose!
EE1C0A66-666B-4531-878E-B20FCF8610D8.jpeg.eed8b372a200c3a8b99124153fc2f011.jpeg
Nice one, I feel the emergence of a slow creeping madness has entered this realm from another dimension of time and space, unfamothable to my frail human consciousness.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Nice one, I feel the emergence of a slow creeping madness has entered this realm from another dimension of time and space, unfamothable to my frail human consciousness.

If it’s accompanied by ‘the munchies’ I think that’s called - coming down.....I could be wrong though 🙈

signatures small.jpg

Other than DnD and WFRP the only other RPG I've played is Paranoia, so I'm very happy we're doing this.

I bought Call of Cthulhu RPG as a 14 year old in the late 80s but I didn't get a chance to ever try it out.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'll stick maybe too as I would love to be there, just very difficult to get 3-4 hours free on a weekend around the kids and family. Definitely worth trying out though for sure as we've never done this kind of thing before.

@slamminbones  @GazzaGarratt Ok what I will do is make your characters for you so that if you can come they are ready to go but if you can't commit to the full session I can play your characters as NPC's instead! Just make sure you get a dice rolling app! I will find one and link it here

signatures small.jpg

12 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Other than DnD and WFRP the only other RPG I've played is Paranoia, so I'm very happy we're doing this.

I bought Call of Cthulhu RPG as a 14 year old in the late 80s but I didn't get a chance to ever try it out.

I knew you'd like this!

For me, Cthulhu is a really easy game to start people off with in terms of playing a character and a DM. Unlike D&D the 'home-brew' stories for Cthulhu are so much easier to put together as it's not super combat heavy at all (and it doesn't have a million books with stats etc to complicate it all). However, there in lies the downfall of it as it's easy for it to be a bit too story driven and not action driven.

I've not run a game in years so will be interesting to see what happens. 

signatures small.jpg

RPG Simple Dice on Google Play is easy to use.

Also, theres a nice guide to the game via pdf here

WWW.CHAOSIUM.COM

The home of Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, Pendragon, 7th Sea, and Questworlds. Your gateway to mythic adventure.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg