Printer Recommendations Please

Plumbers Crack

Can you guys give me a few suggestions for a new printer please. I'm looking for an all in one printer (scan and print, not worried about fax)  with the following if possible...

•  USB or Ethernet connection as well as WiFi
  • Separate colour ink cartridges (not tri-cartridges)
  • Black and white prints as black and white not greyscale
  • Solid build quality and easy setup

I'm not interested in printing photographs. I'm not interested in print plans a la HP. All the reviews appear contradictory, especially on Amazon and  I think I would prefer to trust the experience of people I know.

In short I want to be able to print in B&W, in colour and scan and it mustn't fall apart when you look at it

Thanks all

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I use this one Dave - you can't go wrong with HP and it's only £50. 

8882770_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620
WWW.ARGOS.CO.UK

Buy HP Envy 5010 Wireless Printer & 2 Months Instant Ink at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery £3.95, or fast store...

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I use this one Dave - you can't go wrong with HP and it's only £50. 

8882770_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620
WWW.ARGOS.CO.UK

Buy HP Envy 5010 Wireless Printer & 2 Months Instant Ink at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery £3.95, or fast store...

The only thing that puts me off HP James is they use tri-colour cartridges iirc? Also, will they carry on printing in B&W if the colour cartridge runs out?

4 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Actually, he's right Didds...just printing, mainly letters with bowls club coloured crest on and scanning documents to send by email

Be more specific, where's it gonna live? I have some proper commercial ones at work which we're going to bin. They're in perfect working order, I still don't know why we "upgraded" to these new unreliable, pay-per-print pieces of shit but whatever, they're surplus to requirements. If your bowls club has a couple of square feet to accommodate one, it's all yours. Scans, copies, prints, colour, the lot. Absolutely bulletproof too, never let us down. 

banlol.png

27 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

The only thing that puts me off HP James is they use tri-colour cartridges iirc? Also, will they carry on printing in B&W if the colour cartridge runs out?

I'm pretty sure the cartridges go on until they run out completely. If you use all the colour, it just says something like only black available when printing or colour unavailable. 

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

Be more specific, where's it gonna live? I have some proper commercial ones at work which we're going to bin. They're in perfect working order, I still don't know why we "upgraded" to these new unreliable, pay-per-print pieces of shit but whatever, they're surplus to requirements. If your bowls club has a couple of square feet to accommodate one, it's all yours. Scans, copies, prints, colour, the lot. Absolutely bulletproof too, never let us down. 

Thanks for the offer Dave but it's going into my Dining Room, Thought about offering to charities?

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I'm pretty sure the cartridges go on until they run out completely. If you use all the colour, it just says something like only black available when printing or colour unavailable. 

I'll have to check that out then. Do you use 3rd party cartridges?

On 6/12/2020 at 5:04 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Printing probably😎

I laughed way too hard at this.

Dave @Plumbers Crack  I think the one that James has got is the one I was looking at. For personal home use to print a few letters or even a few home photos it looks like it does the job for £50.

The only thing I've been looking out for is for maybe a slightly smaller one that excels in printing photos at different sizes. The kids and I like making different things with our pics and I especially want different sizes for some memory scrapbooks I want to make. Hard to get close to the HP one's price and quality though.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I got a HP Envy Photo 7134 from John Lewis in the end as, cuz of the 'rona and everyone working from home, there's not a lot of availability in the sub £100 bracket. I was running out of toner on my Brother laser and I wanted a scanner as well as the colour option so I splurged £90.00

I haven't looked into their Ink Plan yet but....you don't get owt fer nowt so I'm a tad wary of it

The "ink plan" basically means "when you're down to about 25% of the cartridge, which is only 50% full to begin with, we'll automatically order a new one for you and you won't be able to print until it arrives".

You don't print all that much I don't think so it shouldn't be an issue but printer cartridges belong in the same category as loot boxes in terms of value for money. 

banlol.png