Final Fantasy 7 Remake - my conclusions

Well, this is a sad thread to make but....I didn't even come close to finishing FF7R. It went from amazing to bad real fast.

The thing that killed it for me was the constant deviation away form the story line and the constant 'stretch' of the most insignificant parts of the game. Some of it was interesting like the character development of Jesse but to be completely honest they've 'modernised' the game rather than just making an excellent game look and move better. It's just 'cut scene' - little bit of combat - 'cut scene' - pointless running around - 'cut scene'

I really don't like that style of game and they became more and more popular in the late 2000's with games like Knights of the old republic etc. I'm going to finish it at some point but I think the problem is that the Midgar portion of the game is the most dull. It's not exciting and plays no baring on the outcome of the game. 

I'm super disappointed that I'm not mad in love with it. 

signatures small.jpg

That's devastating @Middle Class Caveman . I was always worried that the change up from full ATB wouldnt work but I think what confuses me is how they've made a whole game from just the Midgar part. The open world element is possibly the bit of the original game where everything opened up and started to get interesting. I hope we have got 7 or 8 installments of that to come.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That's devastating @Middle Class Caveman . I was always worried that the change up from full ATB wouldnt work but I think what confuses me is how they've made a whole game from just the Midgar part. The open world element is possibly the bit of the original game where everything opened up and started to get interesting. I hope we have got 7 or 8 installments of that to come.

I’m not gonna lie, I don’t think I can get invested in the new run of games. If they’re gonna drag everything out like they have midgar.

signatures small.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 8:55 AM, Middle Class Caveman said:

I’m not gonna lie, I don’t think I can get invested in the new run of games. If they’re gonna drag everything out like they have midgar.

Depends on how many further games they make in the series. 2 would be enough imo. I want to farm and race god damn chocobos!

As someone who hasn't played FF before now, which are the best? I've recently taken up XIV Online and today I started the only SP game I own of FF on my Vita, which is V.  Which other games are worth playing?

I hear VII is one of the best and with what you say, I' think I'll get the original when I start playing this.

43 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:

As someone who hasn't played FF before now, which are the best? I've recently taken up XIV Online and today I started the only SP game I own of FF on my Vita, which is V.  Which other games are worth playing?

I hear VII is one of the best and with what you say, I' think I'll get the original when I start playing this.

7, 8 and 9 are probably the best of the bunch but the core gameplay hasn't aged very well especially for non-veterans IMO. 

28 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

When you say best @Spacedeck , do you mean of the latest era or the original previous gen era?

If you've never played any of the previous final fantasies you might actually not enjoy as much as they were intended. The old style of FF games were long hard grinds with difficult puzzles and intricate story lines. FF7 and FF8 are particularly difficult story lines to digest - it might be worth starting with FFX as it's great graphics, it's the first one with voice actors and is relatively short (although the story is quite convoluted lol)

signatures small.jpg

@GazzaGarratt @Middle Class Caveman  well graphics come second for me.  But if say 1-3 are considered the worst then I'll probably skip them.  I doubt I'll get around to completing all of them, but I can try! So if I concentrate on the ones people recommend for a newcomer, it would shorten the list of games I look at.  Do the FF games follow on from each other story wise? or are they all like their own separate stories?

As I mentioned in the above post, I'm currently playing FF V because it's currently the only one I own (I don't know if or how FF XIV Online ties into the universe).  I'm still in the very early stages of the game though and my characters are around level 11/12.  I'm still getting my head around the abilities / jobs and what I should go with for each character.  I've met Harpy and Shiva but I was really under leveled at the time and don't think I'm ready even now, I'm now at the point I need to defeat LiqudFlame but he's a bugger.

One thing that did surprise me with FF is I thought the combat was turn-based.  So after learning it's actually active turn-based, it makes it a little more difficult.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, Spacedeck said:

One thing that did surprise me with FF is I thought the combat was turn-based.  So after learning it's actually active turn-based, it makes it a little more difficult.

I think this is one of those things to get your head around the most. FF games create amazing worlds to go and run around in, no matter the era or graphics. ATB was just the ticket when FF7 came out on the Playstation way back then. For kids like me growing up it got you thinking a little like playing chess but in a more intense gaming arena. Unfortunately for me, I enjoyed this way so much that when i picked up a few later in the series ( it was 13 i believe) I just couldn't get on with the Unique Battle System. It is the one thing i'm overly notlooking forward to when i play the FF7 remake even if you have ATB options rolled into it.

I'd also say that the Summons were the most amazing things ever back in 7 and 8. Create a mini movie scene with each fight, even if its a weak chocobo was just hilarious to use and the animations on how each Summon worked were very unique.

I've never played anything before 7 but I probably should try. The only thing to realise is that FF games are usually on the grindy side, especially early ones because Japan were heavily into that way of gaming in those days - so you need to put some time aside to get through them. I'm shamed to admit that I have played FF7 and FF8 for hours on end, yet i never completed them. Never say never though.