Mafia: Definitive Edition(s)

Just wow! This looks to be an astonishing remaster of the classic 2002 masterpiece. It is due for release in August and if the gameplay is anything like Mafia 2 it will be a remarkable experience. 

DZiTaQroPqQp9x6gWBeF8S-2560-80.jpg

RJVem5eARYSXxZ8pJ8em3S-2560-80.jpg

rLAqpHamLMjbuHWsHmKsrR-2560-80.jpg

dqsdUFupUATojegQaQTtdR-2560-80.jpg

Mafia 2 and 3 will also be releasing at some stage although with these games being from 2010 and 2016, they aren't expected to have a significant overhaul. Mafia 2 could still pass as a game from just a few years ago. The big one in the package is definitely the first title and the story is just incredible as are the characters and writing. 

Looks great but as @BO7H B4RRELS  Tommy says, Ive never played them and never seen the pull - but I dont like gangster films so maybe it comes from that.

I only played Mafia 2 last year and am not generally a fan of gangster movies either but to my surprise I found it to be one of the best games I have ever played and one of the most incredible stories ever told in gaming. The cast was absolutely stellar as was the writing and the world was just amazing and so immersive. I really hope they can pull it off and the original game was way ahead of its time too back in the day so if they can get the Mafia 2 framework with the narrative and characters of the first then it should be a very good game indeed. 

Not that I'm easily influenced or anything, cough cough, I went back on it today. Before doing so I had to check how to fix a particularly serious bug. I also found another bug I hadn't encountered before.

New bug first, in the first mission killing fash in Italy, you have to wait by a closed double door for a fellow soldier to kick it open. But he didn't come. Re-started the mission (i'll never tire of shooting those fucks so all good)  but same thing again, waiting by the door, another soldier next to me does nothing. Weird. So I look down the hallway and there's one soldier running on the spot. I move to his position, walk behind him and give him a nudge. He then proceeds to walk down the hallway and kick the door open for me. lol.

The big bug, however, is a fucker. The first time back in America you steal a car and get chased by the cops, the game goes into slow motion, and stays there.  The music plays normally but everything else is slowed down to a crawl. It only happens when played on a 1440p monitor apparently. This was game breaking for me.  However, I found that by setting the affinity up so that only one CPU is ticked, then playing the game for a few seconds until it stops being slow but has an FPS of 25, then going back to task manager and resetting the affinity so all CPUs are again ticked, fixes the issue. Pain in the arse.

However, I'm glad I did. It's a lovely game and I'll be playing it a lot I think. When it came out back in the day I only ever tried the demo on Xbox360 but never picked it up, funny. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

9 hours ago, phil bottle said:

However, I found that by setting the affinity up so that only one CPU is ticked, then playing the game for a few seconds until it stops being slow but has an FPS of 25, then going back to task manager and resetting the affinity so all CPUs are again ticked, fixes the issue. Pain in the arse.

That's some seriously tricky quest steps there Philly 😬

Shame that theres that many bugs, have they remade them for console? You usually find less bugs on there.

Mafia 2 (and 3) Definitive edition went live on the PS4 in Australia last night and it seems they've made no real improvements. I also noticed a glitch on on video where the 'saving' logo got stuck in the entire time on the users screen and more severely on a Stream I saw from the 4:05 mark, you'll notice that a big fucking '2K Account Not Linked' logo appears on the top right. This is a disgrace if they don't patch this out - we shouldn't need to be baited into creating an account on a 10 year old single player game that is paid for. Why do publishers always do dumb scummy things like this? Mafia 3 seems untouched too.  They better not screw up the original remake as that's the big one that people are interested in. Here's the stream showing the logo after 4 hours or so:-

Just done a cheeky move: bought Mafia 3 vanilla base game on CDKeys for £6.99, added it to my Steam library and it converted to the £24.99 Definitive version saving me £18 for nothing😎

Phil, your game has been renamed Mafia 2 (Classic) now. Not sure how the definitive edition will impact the original but they appear to be separate games so just stick with what you're playing as in the classic version. 

32 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Just done a cheeky move: bought Mafia 3 vanilla base game on CDKeys for £6.99, added it to my Steam library and it converted to the £24.99 Definitive version saving me £18 for nothing😎

Phil, your game has been renamed Mafia 2 (Classic) now. Not sure how the definitive edition will impact the original but they appear to be separate games so just stick with what you're playing as in the classic version. 

Great move James, that's a top idea!

Just done a cheeky move: bought Mafia 3 vanilla base game on CDKeys for £6.99, added it to my Steam library and it converted to the £24.99 Definitive version saving me £18 for nothing[emoji41]

Yeah I watched it update and change name right before my eyes without any warning. Cheeky fucks [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I started watching the show but the presentation was driving me mad, so thanks, as I would have missed this 🙂

I deliberately swerved most of it and tuned in at 8pm just to see this. They were running a bit late and from what I saw, it looked as boring as hell and the format was dreadful!