Advice for a young gamer - Wireless Headset

GazzaGarratt

Hi everyone.

A senior boss asked me for advice so I thought I'd share and get your input ASAP.

His lad for his first headset had Sony Golds after my recommendation. Best value for money and great sound. There were just prone to breaking after a few years.

His lad has asked for Corsair Void Pro Wireless ones. There around same price - £60. I need to know if these are any good and if theres some alternative ones.

I think he would go up to 100 or slightly over if there was some long lasting and better ones but I'm not sure if there is after a quick look.

They seem pretty reasonable and have good reviews so far.

Any help/recommendations is a massive help! Thanks!

This headset is a good choice for pc but not for console. On console it will will only be used as a stereo headset and lose the dynamic range provided with the firmware on pc so in the cash spent would be a waste. 

4 minutes ago, Nutcuttlit said:

This headset is a good choice for pc but not for console. On console it will will only be used as a stereo headset and lose the dynamic range provided with the firmware on pc so in the cash spent would be a waste. 

Thanks Nutstar. Would a Steel Series 7 be better?

3 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Thanks Nutstar. Would a Steel Series 7 be better?

Most usb wireless headsets withoit a mixamp or exclusive to ps4 are overpriced stereo headsets bud. Look at ones that are licensed 

4 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I love my astro a20's.  Basically a stereo A50. Occasionally on offer.  

Are they wireless mate?

To beat the Golds, he's looking at £200+

The simple fact is that none of these "gaming" headsets have the R&D budget, nor the history in audio development, nor the licencing freedom that Sony has. 

We're talking about a company which is pretty much the father of portable audio, worth billions and billions of dorra, and the same people responsible for the PS4 themselves. 

And they have one hell of a reputation to uphold. 

banlol.png

On 5/11/2020 at 9:51 PM, Diddums said:

To beat the Golds, he's looking at £200+

The simple fact is that none of these "gaming" headsets have the R&D budget, nor the history in audio development, nor the licencing freedom that Sony has. 

We're talking about a company which is pretty much the father of portable audio, worth billions and billions of dorra, and the same people responsible for the PS4 themselves. 

And they have one hell of a reputation to uphold. 

So are we saying the Steel Series are out too?

Also the Astro A20s that @crispymorgan  picked out are wireless and at least 120 online so they sound a decent alternative?

You're not beating build quality of Astros. For example my A50s lasted 5 years and were able to convert to PC through the use of a dongle. Outside of the Sony Golds (Which I don't know if the quality is still good) Astro is specifically focused on the console market and has amazing customer service. We're giving away some Astro headsets during our charity event, perhaps leave your account on AFK during the show to win one?

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

15 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

You're not beating build quality of Astros. For example my A50s lasted 5 years and were able to convert to PC through the use of a dongle. Outside of the Sony Golds (Which I don't know if the quality is still good) Astro is specifically focused on the console market and has amazing customer service. We're giving away some Astro headsets during our charity event, perhaps leave your account on AFK during the show to win one?

Oh nice mate, might do that! I'm still wanting to know if A20's are a decent alternative?

£99 from Argos. At that price you're not beating the quality. Same A50 comfort and clarity, just stereo.

Oh nice mate, might do that! I'm still wanting to know if A20's are a decent alternative?

Via the FG App

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

On 5/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, crispymorgan said:

£99 from Argos. At that price you're not beating the quality. Same A50 comfort and clarity, just stereo.

Via the FG App

Have you read some of the reviews @crispymorgan  - a lot of people saying the sound quality isn't very good or very loud. Can you confirm or deny this please, I want to get a new headset this week and i'd like wireless so I can use it with my mac to listen to music and deliver lessons online - can you plug the A20's in a machine that isn't a console? I need to 'feel' the footsteps in COD!

@LordBaguette  You've got them and have played COD with them, what do you think?

signatures small.jpg

They are loud enough for me. Also very comfy and can hear footsteps pretty well. Although you need to play around with sound settings in game and on the dashboard until you get it just right (i suspect most people saying its bad quality or too quiet havent done this) They are PC/PS4 compatible would assume mac compatible also as its just USB to micro USB. Youd need to constantly unplug the wireless adapter from the ps4 and into the PC though each time

I listened to spotify with them but only had quiet music on in background. Not sure hoe well designed they are for listening to music?

18 minutes ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

Have you read some of the reviews @crispymorgan  - a lot of people saying the sound quality isn't very good or very loud. Can you confirm or deny this please, I want to get a new headset this week and i'd like wireless so I can use it with my mac to listen to music and deliver lessons online - can you plug the A20's in a machine that isn't a console? I need to 'feel' the footsteps in COD!

@LordBaguette  You've got them and have played COD with them, what do you think?

cba

2 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

They are loud enough for me. Also very comfy and can hear footsteps pretty well. Although you need to play around with sound settings in game and on the dashboard until you get it just right (i suspect most people saying its bad quality or too quiet havent done this) They are PC/PS4 compatible would assume mac compatible also as its just USB to micro USB. Youd need to constantly unplug the wireless adapter from the ps4 and into the PC though each time

I listened to spotify with them but only had quiet music on in background. Not sure hoe well designed they are for listening to music?

That's exactly what I wanted to hear 🙂

My mac is right next to my PS4 at the moment so swapping the cable isn't an issue. And I listen to metal so the quality of the music isn't important - it's mostly just noise.

Can you tell me what settings you have used for cod footsteps etc?

signatures small.jpg

3 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

listened to spotify with them but only had quiet music on in background. Not sure hoe well designed they are for listening to music?

I find A50s to be immense at listening to whatever it is, music, films, etc so I dont expect A20s to be much different. I'd love to get my son some for later in the year for his bday.

I've passed on the messages on this thread so I'll see what he ends up getting 

18 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I find A50s to be immense at listening to whatever it is, music, films, etc so I dont expect A20s to be much different. I'd love to get my son some for later in the year for his bday.

I've passed on the messages on this thread so I'll see what he ends up getting 

300 bones for a pair of headphones is a bit much if i'm honest.

signatures small.jpg