Console Carbon Footprint

phil bottle

Interesting article and gives food for thought.  I know for me, as well as others have expressed a similar opinion, that I’d go digital more often if prices were competitive.  Digital copies at their full RRP of £50-£60 stand no chance when physical copies are sold for around £40.

Also the figures at the bottom seem off.  I know they’re only estimates but surely the xbox series x can’t be over 3x worse than the PS5?

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Interesting article and gives food for thought.  I know for me, as well as others have expressed a similar opinion, that I’d go digital more often if prices were competitive.  Digital copies at their full RRP of £50-£60 stand no chance when physical copies are sold for around £40.

Also the figures at the bottom seem off.  I know they’re only estimates but surely the xbox series x can’t be over 3x worse than the PS5?
The fact that it's cheaper to buy a manufactured product, and all that entails, its baffling digital is so expensive. Well I say baffling, it's not really is it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

The fact that it's cheaper to buy a manufactured product, and all that entails, its baffling digital is so expensive. Well I say baffling, it's not really is it.

Except it is slightly baffling.

The infrastructure is already there for digital games so it can’t be more expensive to distribute digitally.

So it’s purely a profit thing? But that doesn’t make sense either as disc based media is so easily available.  Some people will pay for the convenience but I can’t imagine many do.

As far as I know digital isn’t any cheaper on xbox than PS so it isn’t like Song charge a fee or take a percentage for publishers using their network.  Well unless Sony and M$ take roughly the same amount.  But then that doesn’t make sense as the marketing advantage of being able to offer cheaper digital games would be massive.

So all in all, I can’t work out why they don’t sell digital at the same price as physical.  It costs less to distribute, loads if people would do it so more profit.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Except it is slightly baffling.

The infrastructure is already there for digital games so it can’t be more expensive to distribute digitally.

So it’s purely a profit thing? But that doesn’t make sense either as disc based media is so easily available.  Some people will pay for the convenience but I can’t imagine many do.

As far as I know digital isn’t any cheaper on xbox than PS so it isn’t like Song charge a fee or take a percentage for publishers using their network.  Well unless Sony and M$ take roughly the same amount.  But then that doesn’t make sense as the marketing advantage of being able to offer cheaper digital games would be massive.

So all in all, I can’t work out why they don’t sell digital at the same price as physical.  It costs less to distribute, loads if people would do it so more profit.
I imagine it's some kind of deal they've made with retailers to ensure the games get onto the shelves, as it were.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 2/14/2020 at 1:58 PM, phil bottle said:

The following is an interesting look at the carbon footprint of gaming.

WWW.SLOTSONLINECANADA.COM

Philly, I came late to this I want to understand it abit more but the link has gone. Can you find it again please?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Philly, I came late to this I want to understand it abit more but the link has gone. Can you find it again please?
The link is in the word Captcha in the OP and it still works [emoji846]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg