E3 On Its Last Legs?

J4MES OX4D

E3 has been struggling in recent years with many big names doing their own show or just skipping it altogether. Now the face of it for the past 25 years wont be attending either.

I've not enjoyed the show for a long time and it started going wrong when companies like Activision and Microsoft started buying up large exclusivity stage slots - they'd have too much time and not enough material to fill the spaces so the presentation and show as a whole would turn into an absolute bore. Other games who's owners didn't pay an exposure premium then had limited time to showcase which left people annoyed and wanting more. 

Another thing is event being so corporate and journalist-heavy that real gamers were just left alienated. Sites would do a bad job of conveying information or not ask the burning questions which left people feeling screwed or frustrated. The likes of EA play are no better but it just makes sense if publishers do their own thing especially with all the media available to them and most having a major presence in the industry. 

E3 has been great over the years but I really think it's run its course in the current format especially with big names missing. Ideally I would like to see smaller games get visibility and done in a fair, unbiased way but if the event doesn't make much money then I think they'll pull the plug altogether.  Gamescom and PAX seem to be thriving still so maybe E3 needs to take a hard look at itself.  

Back in the day E3 mattered a whole lot more without social media to where it is right now.

The format doesnt work unfortunately because companies have much more control on when they want to announce and how it impacts them.

I do miss one big build up to a time where we'd start to understand more about what is being launched. Maybe it's more we have to embrace smaller focused reveal shows that give consumers more access to more shows?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Cancelled anyway

gNHzGXjkC8JoThWPNrL9V6-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The ESA is now looking into putting together an 'online experience' instead.

Unfortunately loads of things will be cancelled because of this virus. Glad they're doing refunds though, unlike some events.

23 hours ago, tronic44 said:

Unfortunately loads of things will be cancelled because of this virus. Glad they're doing refunds though, unlike some events.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. I think this could work in E3 organisation's favour. I don't think we'll see another E3 now that the style of how companies show their reveals is more in their hands, they should take the time out to really review how they could change the format and call it a new name. I'd even think about making them into a roadshow series which allows small companies to hook into easier ways to sell their games/products whilst still allowing for big companies to attend.

On 3/12/2020 at 6:44 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Sometimes things happen for a reason. I think this could work in E3 organisation's favour. I don't think we'll see another E3 now that the style of how companies show their reveals is more in their hands, they should take the time out to really review how they could change the format and call it a new name. I'd even think about making them into a roadshow series which allows small companies to hook into easier ways to sell their games/products whilst still allowing for big companies to attend.

It'll always be the same, cod this, fifa that, heres another assasins creed bullshit nonsense. Also E3 is a massive chance for Ubisoft to show you a game you'll never play.

8 hours ago, tronic44 said:

It'll always be the same, cod this, fifa that, heres another assasins creed bullshit nonsense. Also E3 is a massive chance for Ubisoft to show you a game you'll never play.

Thats why i'd propose like 6 show series, 1 every 2 months. It'll help smaller indie developers show off their games and find an alternative way to help breeding new game creators. We don't want the world eventually left with the big corporates just spinning those titles every year that get boring.

11 hours ago, tronic44 said:

What annoys me is when Microsoft or Activision buy up the premium slots and then have jack shit to fill them with along with the big publishers stringing out their premium presentations to also fill up the time.

E3 was only interested in taking the money that way rather than strategically designing their show to make it as appealing as possible and maximising exposure to games and developers. I used to get bored even watching the highlights because they were still riddled with painful filler. 

Despite opening to the general public for the first time ever either last year or the one before, the event was always built for the mainstream media rather than gamers. IGN would never get that many clicks on a promising indie game over yet another AAA franchise release and E3 was always about the money even if they were showcasing crap and thin air.