Best Mobo for an i5-4570 ?

BO7H B4RRELS

What's the best (most affordable) motherboard for an i5-4570? 

Right now I'm looking at the ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intell Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel   

It seems a little pricey though.  Any other recommendations?  I was under the impression that it needed to have Z77 in the name for the correct socket.  Is that right?  Someone else online had mentioned the ASRock H370M PRO4 LGA1151/Intel H370  It's a lot cheaper but I'm not 100% sure on the socket type.  

I would really like it to have 4 RAM slots and room for an R9 290 GPU.  

Oh, and one other quick question... are CPU coolers brand specific?  I bought a Hyper 212 Evo for my A10-5800K.  Could I just swap it over to the i5?  

Thanks!  

@Diddums  @phil bottle @Plumbers Crack @Greboth @tronic44 @J4MES OX4D @GazzaGarratt 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

A general answer for now as without reading some reviews I can't recommend a specific one.

The Z77 boards won't work as they're socket 1155 but your CPU is 1150.  Socket 1150 needs a B87, H87, Z87 or H97 or Z97.  The 97 boards were a refresh over the 87 board so have a few extra features.  As a general rule the Z boards are the top tier come with everything and have a price to match, B boards are the low spec sacrifice areas to keep them as cheap as possible and H boards are somewhere in the middle.  Some of the cheaper / smaller boards will only have 2 RAM slots so something to keep an eye on though I can't think of any consumer board that doesn't have a PCI-E lane so your GPU will fit whichever one you get.

As for the cooler - they're not brand specific per se but they are socket specific.  Most coolers come with an AMD bracket and Intel - though which intel depends.  Some manufacturers will give / sell you other socket brackets which is easier and cheaper than buying a new cooler.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

That mother board looks alright 🙂

As for a cpu mother board combo, I’d say no.

If you’re going to upgrade then it’s worth doing a proper upgrade.  The problem is any more recent cpu’s worth upgrading to are all going to be ddr4 (whereas you’re ddr3).  Which you aren’t going to do in your current budget.  Any combo you could get in your budget would be a small upgrade and still on a dead upgrade path as it will also be ddr3.

I'd only say to make a decision on what's best long term. If you're likely to move onto a faster cpu in the next couple of years you might want to look at the newer mobos. Older mobos may not be compatible with a lot of new hardware. If you're likely to stick to the i5 for a considerable amount of time then maybe you dont need to worry about that.

[emoji847]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I don't have the money for a whole new system at this point and I doubt I will anytime soon. I'll probably be riding this one out for quite a while. I'm good with spending 100 on a mobo and use this system for another 3 or 4 years. Then, I'll end up building a whole new, current PC.

If I go with anything newer right now, I'd need new RAM and CPU. I've got 16 GB of DDR3 already and I got the i5 for free.

Here's my build if I include the mobo and the i5 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

4 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

The i5 was free. So, is the $100 bucks for the mobo gonna make it worth it? The i5 is significantly faster than my A10-5800k, right?

I appreciate your help dude.

Via the FG App

Yes, the i5 is an all round faster and better cpu than your A10.

If you’re not looking to do a full upgrade for a while then I’d say yes it’s worth getting a motherboard for.  It will be hard to find stock due to the age but if you’re on a budget constraint I’d go for the cheapest you can find from one of the main brands (Asus, msi, asrock, gigabyte) that meet you requirements for sata ports for harddrives, sound output etc.

Thanks, dude. I appreciate all of your help. [emoji108]

Yes, the i5 is an all round faster and better cpu than your A10.

If you’re not looking to do a full upgrade for a while then I’d say yes it’s worth getting a motherboard for.  It will be hard to find stock due to the age but if you’re on a budget constraint I’d go for the cheapest you can find from one of the main brands (Asus, msi, asrock, gigabyte) that meet you requirements for sata ports for harddrives, sound output etc.

Via the FG App

Sorry Tommy, I saw your message and then forgot about it. 

Nothing here for me to add that isn't already said tbh, that is a great little chip and when plonked in a decent motherboard will be a significant upgrade for you. 

banlol.png