Problem with my PC

Plumbers Crack

Hi Guys,

I get a WhatsApp from Diddums about a week ago saying "How's the PC? Still working OK?"..a few days later,,,no. it's not!!! Jinx Bunny!!

I need some help please...I'm getting an intermittent fault where everything starts up but I get the message "No Signal" on the monitor when using Displayport and "No cable connected" when I switch to HDMI.

During one bad episode I re-seated the video card, moved the video card to another PCIe 16 slot, tried a different video card..nothing. Put the card back in it's original slot - it worked!

It's not the monitor, that consistently works with the PS4 and also with a laptop.

I've now reached the stage where I don't take the side off, I just power on and off until it works. In three sessions today it's been first time, first time, fifth time

There's no speaker on the board so I can't tell if there are any POST codes and no diagnostic display on the MOBO

Greboth spent time suggesting things yesterday but to no avail....I'm starting to think faulty mobo but have any of you got any other suggestions?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Any chance of the monitor cable being loose? If not, it could be a number of things..

That it works intermittently is weird. Could be the card, or the CMOS and more from what I see online... but I'd say you may need to get someone to look at it and not use it for the time being just in case. Hope someone on here can be of more help.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

.....and not use it for the time being just in case.

Really? 😞 I’d just made this my main computer. In all seriousness Phil, I can understand your caution but what is the worst that can happen if I try to use it?

I hate intermittent faults 😡

33 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

This is a long shot but is your monitor set to hdmi or auto? Sometimes they get confused when it’s set to auto.

Unfortunately, like Phil says, it can be a number of things. Hopefully it’s nothing serious 🤞🏻

It’s auto Rich. It has the PC on the display port connection and the PS4 on the HDMI and connects to whichever is on. When it’s on the blink it cycles through the ports showing the port ID in the screen corner then gives the “no signal” message before going into standby 

Really? [emoji20] I’d just made this my main computer. In all seriousness Phil, I can understand your caution but what is the worst that can happen if I try to use it?
 I hate intermittent faults [emoji35]
Only because I had a bad experience but I'm probably being over cautious as a result...

Did you try it with another monitor? If your tv has the right connection, try it on that and see if you get the same result.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's the Displayport input on the monitor. I had exactly the same monitor and exactly the same problem. Don't forget that this monitor was a couple of years old when you got it too. And yes, your motherboard does have a little speaker on it, it's just not beeping because there's nothing to beep about, as far as it's concerned your PC is in tip-top condition. See if you can find another monitor with displayport to use for a few days just to be sure, but that's 99% the cause. 

EDIT: Also, try using HDMI on the graphics card, should work fine then. 

banlol.png

52 minutes ago, Diddums said:

And yes, your motherboard does have a little speaker on it,

My last (at least 3) mobos haven’t come with a speaker and I don’t remember one at Dave’s.  Also Dave said he doesn’t hear a beep which usually there’s one to signify handing off to windows. 

Dave said on whatsap he tried a hdmi cable and that didn’t work either so a speaker would allow us to maybe have a better idea if whats going on.

@Diddums can you remember if we set the pre oc ram settings?

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

No, we didn't touch the RAM timings, we left it stock because Dave isn't exactly the kind of person to start fucking about with that when it goes tits up.

I could've sworn that the motherboard had one of those dumpy little things with the two wires on it. Is there one in the case maybe? 

@Plumbers Crack try another monitor first and go from there. I'd be very, very surprised if it isn't the monitor.

banlol.png

I found a solution which I have used in a similar situation from a previous experience;- next time you start up with the problematic monitor, open up a window, throw the monitor out of said window (preferably upstairs) and then the issue should be resolved. Fair do's the monitor is now permanently broken but at least the issue wont happen again. 

Hope this helps Dave! 

Update: After few hours under Didd’s guidance of trying stuff, checking cable connections,etc we determined the monitor is ok and the spotlight of suspicion has shifted to the video card or motherboard. Didds is very kindly sending me one of his spare cards to try which may narrow it down a bit. I hope it is the card but my gut is saying it’s the mobo

It's too early to tell Dave. 

There are a few possibilities here:

GPU knackered: Not under warranty, replace with the 980 I'm sending you, gain an extra 7% FPS. 

Motherboard knackered: I have the receipts and stuff, send it back, win the internet.

I've got that 980 in my bag here, post office opens at 9. I haven't had time to clean it unfortunately so it's a bit dusty but it'll be with you tomorrow. 

banlol.png

Quick lil' update, I arranged an RMA for Dave on and he sent his PC off on Monday. They checked the mobo with various CPUs and had the same issue consistently, so they replaced the motherboard, reinstalled the CPU, applied the overclock again and sent it out yesterday. They tried to deliver it today but Dave's off to see some family so he's going to try pick it up tomorrow from his local depot.

Happy endings and all that 🙂 

banlol.png

Quick lil' update, I arranged an RMA for Dave on and he sent his PC off on Monday. They checked the mobo with various CPUs and had the same issue consistently, so they replaced the motherboard, reinstalled the CPU, applied the overclock again and sent it out yesterday. They tried to deliver it today but Dave's off to see some family so he's going to try pick it up tomorrow from his local depot.

Happy endings and all that [emoji846] 
Acceptable [emoji106]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

But seriously, good going @Diddums, the plumber would have been up shit creek otherwise. I know he's used to that but you have saved a lot of hassle. Had it been my PC that happened to, I would have been raging.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Yep nice one Didds and also for Greb early hand holding during fault finding. Hopefully I'll get back home early enough to pick it up tomorrow

Via the FG App

Well the mobo arrived today which is a great turnaround time. Re-install was reasonably easy (they ought to make motherboard designers remove mobos from cases, that part was a PITA) and, as I type this, everything seems to be running OK

One interesting development was that I had to send the board and CPU back together as it was a pre-installed bundle. The board I sent back had a Ryzen 5 2600x 6 core processor...the one it came back with is a Ryzen 7 3700x 8 core processor. Hopefully that's a win 😊 but, if not, at least it works!

Thanks again guys for all your help