UK visit in October?

Docwagon

This probably got buried in the Madrid Airport thread and should be a topic on it's own.

We'll start planning fall break as soon as we get back from Spain.  I note that there are very cheap tickets to London (right at $300 round trip from Chicago) and while I've been to London it was a short stay some 14 years ago.  Let's say one had 7-10 days to spend, where other than London should we also venture to?  Stonehenge would have to be on the list.  Is it foolish to rent a car and tour the countryside a bit?  I've driven in Cyprus, so I can do the wrong-side-of-the-road thing and navigate roundabouts.

Is Brexit going to have any impact on visa requirements for American visitors?

I’d definitely go for hiring a motor. You’ll move around a lot easier and under your own speed. Trains in this country are overpriced.

As you’ve mentioned Stonehenge a couple of times, I’d suggest visiting there and branching out, as there’s lots in that part of the country to visit. It’s also very beautiful around there.

You have the New Forest national park to the south, plus the Isle of Wight.

To the north west of Stonehenge you have Bath, with its famous natural spring waters and Roman architecture/baths.

Close to Bath you can drive to Bristol and then on to Cardiff, which is worth visiting. Has a nice castle and is in Wales.

Or you could go south west to Cornwall from there, which is probably the prettiest part of the country, in my opinion. There’s lot of lovely little fishing villages to visit.

@Stretch616  likes to move around the country a lot and can probably add a few things to consider.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Doc, can I recommend this site for route planning..

www.theaa.com

It’s one of the two major motor breakdown companies in the UK. They have a route planning section that’s very good and gives you an idea of journey time rather than just distance. Avoid the M25 if possible!!

I’m sure there’s a few of us on here who would like to meet up with you and your wife if you’d like that as well. Surprisingly, we do scrub up quite well and can behave ourselves in mixed company 😂😂😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

13 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Doc, can I recommend this site for route planning..

www.theaa.com

It’s one of the two major motor breakdown companies in the UK. They have a route planning section that’s very good and gives you an idea of journey time rather than just distance. Avoid the M25 if possible!!

I’m sure there’s a few of us on here who would like to meet up with you and your wife if you’d like that as well. Surprisingly, we do scrub up quite well and can behave ourselves in mixed company 😂😂😂

Sure, I'd like that as well. 

My only thought is wherever we all meet up, which is usually @Diddums house 😎

I'm not the best cultural person to follow for places to visit but I think its always worth a day out at the National History Museum. Also, do you or/and your kids like Harry Potter? Even if not, the Studios isn't far away from London and its incredible. Such a great day out.

This is off the table.  My Spain trip is now going to have to be the October trip due to the Kung Flu outbreak.

I'm flying home from New Mexico today.  I came out here to hike the Bataan Memorial but it was cancelled.  I did get to do some gorgeous hiking on my own and some with a buddy in Albuquerque.

Iberia Airlines issued us vouchers today.  I think we're going to increase the length of our stay in Spain a bit and fly out of Lisbon, so now we can do everything we wanted to the first go-round.  The tickets will be a bit more, but we're upgrading a class in order to take a checked bag.  $900 more then our original outlay, but since we're not taking a Spring trip that's NBD.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:18 PM, Docwagon said:

Iberia Airlines issued us vouchers today.  I think we're going to increase the length of our stay in Spain a bit and fly out of Lisbon, so now we can do everything we wanted to the first go-round.  The tickets will be a bit more, but we're upgrading a class in order to take a checked bag.  $900 more then our original outlay, but since we're not taking a Spring trip that's NBD.

Will you relook into a UK trip once this all hopefully dies down soon Doc?

On 3/20/2020 at 6:37 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Will you relook into a UK trip once this all hopefully dies down soon Doc?

Oh, absolutely.  We're not going to give up on traveling.  Just can't do two trips at once. 🙂

I want to take the family out to deserts of the southwest next spring, so maybe October 2021?