Doom Eternal

J4MES OX4D

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

So I decided to give Doom Eternal another chance - I refunded it when it first came out and then didn't have a good time with it on game pass when trying it again, but I decided to take yet another punt - this time with the Deluxe version at £14.49 on Steam and I'm having a much more enjoyable time with it. I still don't like the design format all that much - it's a pretty significant departure from all the Doom games especially 2016 and the first few hours still make this game very hard to get into. That's what really put me off the first two times. It's a total slog with limited ammo and health, but in contrast the game early on actually teaches you how to move, approach battles and manage your ammo/health and then when you get going and find the rhythm, you unlock power-ups which make these issues less of a consideration as @Stretch616  mentioned. The platforming also starts off rather basic but in the later stages there are plenty of challenging movement and momentum platforming situations which are pretty fun to pull off. I just wish the game showcased more of these early on because it doesn't sell itself very well until you reach the Cultist Base IMO. 

I also think this is one of the best optimised games ever made - literally 150fps+ at 21:9/1440p with every setting turned up to extreme along with full ray tracing which is absolutely insane. I couldn't even maintain 60fps with Portal RTX! Eternal also looks absolutely astounding

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I definitely recommend giving this a try or another shot. I know quite a few people who pulled the plug early like me because they couldn't adjust to the game's core design or get past the extremely mediocre first few hours but for less than £15 complete, it's an absolute steal! 

It's installed ready for a play and has been for ages, as I had the urge a few months ago.

Totally agree re optimisation and shows just what can be achieved when publishers feel like it.

Such a beautiful game and runs like a dream on a 1080ti.

It's just in a very long queue 😅

jeffersonclasswar.jpg