FG Film Club - Wk3 2020 - Fury

GazzaGarratt

Week 3 2020, Mon 20th Jan - Sun 26th Jan

IMDb Score - 7.6/10

Trailer

A gritty war film this week. Let's try and watch this and share your thoughts below! Remember, spoilers are fine in this thread so beware if you dont want to know!

Try and watch between now and Sunday folks 👍

Have been meaning to get round to this. Last good WW2 film I watched was Kelly's Heroes and that was kind of a black comedy. And before that it was the Tarantino epic, another comedy though. This isn't a comedy is it?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Have been meaning to get round to this. Last good WW2 film I watched was Kelly's Heroes and that was kind of a black comedy. And before that it was the Tarantino epic, another comedy though. This isn't a comedy is it?

No, its not a comedy, i'd say its a little more raw and rough around the edges as opposed to something like Saving Private Ryan. I think when you see Brad Pitt in a war outfit it usually gives that comedy impression but its a damn good powerful film.

1 hour ago, techno said:

Been thinking of watching this again but it's not long since I watched it so parts are still fresh especially the ending. 

Big fan of ww2 stuff.....done right 

This one feels right. Its like @Middle Class Caveman  says though, it really is an intense/hard watch at certain points.

58 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

No, its not a comedy, i'd say its a little more raw and rough around the edges as opposed to something like Saving Private Ryan. I think when you see Brad Pitt in a war outfit it usually gives that comedy impression but its a damn good powerful film.

This one feels right. Its like @Middle Class Caveman  says though, it really is an intense/hard watch at certain points.

Not sure what he means by that tbh

1 hour ago, TigerBurge said:

It’s not on the US Netflix. 

oh man, i need to search somewhere which tells me if its on in both countries next time. Sorry.

52 minutes ago, techno said:

Not sure what he means by that tbh

I think its difficult and abit gut-wrenching at certain points, if you get emotional at films that is.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think its difficult and abit gut-wrenching at certain points, if you get emotional at films that is.

No, not really and thought that's what he meant rather than like the camera work in Bourne.

I agree, just finished watching and the film overall is great. The ending is a little too far fetched. It makes for some entertaining viewing but I'd prefer something that feels realistic. The ending made me think of a typical CoD single player campaign situation. 

I watched Fury last night, it's a strange one for me as I actually love all of the actors in it, especially considering that most of them are miles away from what we know them as.

The mexican guy playing a serious role/bully when we know him as the funny guy from ant man

The dumb hick who we know as the punisher

Shai labour who we know is completely out of his mind...

and to be honest Brad Pitt, he is low key one of my favourite actors and doesn't get enough hype for his acting skills in my opinion. Yes he's pretty, yes he has amazing abs but he always suckers me in to what character he is playing.

That being said, despite the star studded line up, I find this film difficult to watch in the sense that it is so intense! The bit with the girls at the dinner table is so hard to watch and just the general swing in emotions throughout the whole film makes for a very uncomfortable experience.

I agree with people about the ending though, it's all very intense and uncomfortable throughout the whole film and then suddenly it turns into a typical american action film where the yank's save the day!

All in all I would score this film 8/10, great acting, amazing scenery etc - the ending spoils it.

signatures small.jpg

I managed to fit this is last night but too late to post anything about it.  I can’t really add anything to Elliott’s comments above.

The ending does detract from the movie which is a shame.  I wonder if a better, more fitting ending, would have been that everybody dies at the crossroads.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

It's funny as I usually enjoyed these type of endings, although now reading your views I can totally see where you're all coming from. Its exactly what I hoped for from the film club stuff as i've now pushed myself to see the film in a different viewpoint as i can be easily swept up by americanised glorious endings.

I still think it was a gritty decent film. Brad Pitt does play his role very well for me and i'd recommend the film to be watched by anyone that loves a war film. 7.5/10