Alright fatty, let's get fitty!

Diddums

I was chatting to the caveman about this last night, but the tl;dr is that I've got an epic gym at work and have free unlimited use as often and as long as I want. Not using it is a waste. The problem is mine, which is quite simple. I've no idea where to start or what to do. 

When I worked nights at BT I used to go to the gym on nights for a few months but I had no clue what I was doing. I would literally just hop on whatever machine looked good that day, and go until I was knackered. I had no goals, no plan, nothing. Just go. This of course made me lose interest as I was just wasting time effectively. 

That needs to change. I don't want to pay for a personal trainer, but I want all the benefits of a personal trainer. 

We have 2x Peloton bikes, 2x regular training bikes, 2x Crossfits, 2x Treadmills, 2x Rowing machines, shitloads of weights, punching bag, medicine balls, kettlebells, you name it, we have it. This gym is seriously kitted out.

Now I want to be fit, and I want to bulk up a bit. I've done some googling and I might as well have googled "what's your favourite colour" as everyone has different opinions and approaches, almost as if everyone has different bodies and different strokes work for different folks or something, it's weird.

So, halp! Where do I begin?

banlol.png

So here's the problem that Did's is having - there are many ways to reach the goals he wants - it's finding out what he will stick to, that will ensure his goal. 

Getting fit and trimming down and all that jazz can be accomplished in many ways, it's finding a routine he can stick too.

So here is something that everyone can do if they're looking to make a change and I promise I will do a proper post on this for the new year, new me people. Identify all of the activities you find fun and enjoyable that get your heart rate up.

Simple as that. 

Answers on a post card!

signatures small.jpg

As Tom said diet, stop drinking and smoking.

We have a fully stocked free gym at work too, I'd been bugged by my workmate to go so I thought I'd give it a go and while he admits he's no expert the routine we do that fits into our lunch break has had an effect. 

Now while this isn't an ideal situation I've seen a benefit and that in itself motivates me in other ways especially this time of year when the hibernation sets in. 

Good luck with it, it's something I wish I'd turned to sooner.

Definitely be an interesting thread look forward to reading @Middle Class Caveman post.

3 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

Identify all of the activities you find fun and enjoyable that get your heart rate up

He lives in London Elliott, he can't keep get pounded in the ass by me every weekend as I can't make it down there. Quite literally.

Looking forward to your post in the new year though Elliott!

I think one of things you must do is break down all your objectives within that. As Elliott is saying, its literally starting with one thing and once you've nailed that move to the next action or thought. Loads of us have grand and amazing ideas but never fully realise them as they sound fun as hell but when you start out you end up trying to do 15 things at once.

You have to find something you enjoy and then do it long enough to make it a routine.  If you make it punishment, you'll lose long term.  Find something you like, then set short term goals, mid term goals, and long term goals.

Hiking/walking/backpacking is my "thing" but when I was younger it was weights.  Now I can't really lift weights like I used to without risking of literally crippling myself due to nerve damage and joint issues.  I can still carry a ruck and walk forever, though, and I like to do that.  I'm up to 15 miles of hilly terrain with a light pack without ill effect, 20 miles if I don't mind being pretty sore after.  I'm doing the 26.2 mile Bataan Memorial Death March next Spring, which is a big motivator for me.  https://bataanmarch.com/

I put on nearly 60 pounds after I slipped the disks in my back.  Using a combination of diet, goal setting, and exercise I've lost 41 of it this year.  I hope to do another 30 next year.  I've found Garmin Connect to be a big help.  You can get some semi-personalized workout plans there for cardio, but not so much for strength training.

Seriously start by doing classes if they’re available. More fun than working out alone and it teaches you all the basics. Plus other people there motivate you to do more. That’s how I got back Into it after I stopped going. Spin class is a good start. I do boxing, spin and circuit training. Perfect mix of cardio and strength training 

cba

@Docwagon also makes a good point find something to aim towards maybe as motivation, I did running a while back to do a 10 k I'd signed for, a workmate is working towards his first marathon, maybe a tough mudder or something you might want to do you've thought of yourself.

You see, I also agree with @Docwagon  @LordBaguette  and @techno  nut they all centre around running/walking. I cba with those specific activities because it isnt enticing enough for me. I have been trying to go football though 1 hour a week with my old football mates which has been helpful. I find if there are some sport activities that mask that its fitness anyway then it's way more enjoyable.

Is there anyone that lives near you Didds that you could join up with for an activity?

I'll walk through what I do as it's not very complicated, but gives you a full range of things to do that keep you going to the gym multiple times a week while also giving muscle groups the appropriate time to heal and recover.

With weights, the most important thing to do is focus on certain muscle groups that don't overlap on the same day.  The next session, focus on entirely different muscle groups.  Don't try and do a full workout of all muscle groups in the same day.  It takes too long, you'll burn yourself out, and most importantly you won't give enough attention to each muscle group individually because many of the exercises overlap in the muscle groups they use.  Just as an example, if you do lots of push-ups and then try to do tricep work like lat pulls or whatever, you won't get anywhere because your triceps are already burnt out because of the pushups.  I'm not an expert by any stretch and just to keep things simple, on one day I'll do chest and triceps, and the next session I'll do back and biceps.  That separates muscle groups out well for me and if I lift every other day I get plenty of rest.  I'll only do 20-30 minutes of weights and then do cardio for 30 minutes and call it a day.  I don't do any leg weights because I get all of that from the cardio work.

To find the right weights to use, start off with a weight where you can do multiple (3 to 5) comfortable sets of 10-12 reps.  First set should be easy, and go up 5 lbs at a time until you can get maybe 6-8 reps on your final set where the last few reps are  tough to finish.  Go easy for the first 2-3 weeks and when those last sets become too easy - start increasing your first set weight by 5lbs and keep the same cycle.  Eventually you'll find something that works but you need lots of reps, and you need a good starting weight.  Once you get a lot stronger you can lower the reps and up the weight, but just keep it simple.  The main thing is to focus on certain muscle groups at a time, give yourself 2 good days to recover, and then get back to those muscle groups again.

My best advice is to only do 20-30 minutes of weights when you're starting out for the first few weeks, and do some cardio each time you go.  That mixes things up to keep it fun and cardio is really good for overall health and fitness.  

Also take L-Arginine immediately after your workout.  Can't stress that enough.  Starting out you'll be sore as shit, and L-Arginine is the best thing you can take to prevent soreness.  It's crazy how well it works.  Being sore and working out sucks.