THE FG HEALTH CHALLENGE

The topic we started the other day about nutrition has brought up some really good questions about health etc. Rather than focus on food I want to challenge people to a 7 day task to see if they 'feel' any better by changing a few simple protocols in their day.

Attached is a word document I want you to print and use as guidance, you simply tick the box if you completed the task by the end of the day and then add a statement about something you are thankful for or proud of (this is a mental wellbeing task).

The challenges are:

1. Drink at least 1/2 litre of water for every 'foot' you are tall. So if you're 6 foot tall you would drink 3 litres of water throughout the day
  2. Eat 2 different colour vegetables of fruits with every meal
  3. Be in bed ready to sleep at least 6 hours before your alarm is set to go off
  4. Add extra rock, sea or pink Himalayan to at least 1 meal throughout the day
  5. Stop drinking caffeine at midday

These are 5 very easy things everyone can achieve that will improve your general health and wellbeing over a relatively short period of time.

Who is up for the challenge???

The FG Health Challenge.docx

signatures small.jpg

Do all of this except adding salt, I eat enough salt to maintain my fluids in the food I eat normally. I mean I add salt as seasoning etc but don’t make a note to add more than necessary 

cba

10 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

Do all of this except adding salt, I eat enough salt to maintain my fluids in the food I eat normally. I mean I add salt as seasoning etc but don’t make a note to add more than necessary 

if you already salt your food you’re all good, some people don’t and it’s just a really good way to get sodium and potassium in your diet with the extra fluid! 

signatures small.jpg

Fahkin Stella and a satsuma, Friday night staple.

Impossible for me on the caffeine, I only drink tea and lager. Occasionally orange Tropicana.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Via the FG App

Also on the sleep topic, is it normal for people to have less than 6 hours sleep? I’m usually at least 7   
Yup I sometimes only get about 3 depends on what time I start and how much I escape from reality (ps4) that night

Via the FG App

26 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

Also on the sleep topic, is it normal for people to have less than 6 hours sleep? I’m usually at least 7   

normal? Maybe. Is it recommended? 100% not. 8 hours of good quality sleep really is key to living a long and healthy life. 

I started at 6 because I thought that was an easy bench mark for people to meet. 

signatures small.jpg

I want to try this but maybe in the new year as I'm not sure I want to lose my playtime and extra time to wrap all the presents late at night! 😂

Also, cant believe Salt is on here. Wife's mother put copius amounts of salt on every. Single. Meal. For that reason I only season chips with salt cos I dont want it to become an addiction for my family like it has for my MIL.

6 hours? So when you say 6 hours does that mean really 8 hours because how long it takes to start REM sleep?

I went to bed at just after 1am last night (granted doing FG stuff) and woke up around 6.15am-ish. I'm normally in bed by midnight so just trying to work out if I need extra time to get the sleep pattern right.

Great thread and totally want to do this. Nice one @Middle Class Caveman

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I want to try this but maybe in the new year as I'm not sure I want to lose my playtime and extra time to wrap all the presents late at night! 😂

Also, cant believe Salt is on here. Wife's mother put copius amounts of salt on every. Single. Meal. For that reason I only season chips with salt cos I dont want it to become an addiction for my family like it has for my MIL.

6 hours? So when you say 6 hours does that mean really 8 hours because how long it takes to start REM sleep?

I went to bed at just after 1am last night (granted doing FG stuff) and woke up around 6.15am-ish. I'm normally in bed by midnight so just trying to work out if I need extra time to get the sleep pattern right.

Great thread and totally want to do this. Nice one @Middle Class Caveman

ideally you want to get at least 8 hours of actual sleep, you won’t get 8 hours REM sleep in that time but it increases the chances that you will. That means you need to be in bed with enough time to doze off and actually sleep. I go to bed at 9.30pm but I don’t actually ‘doze’ until 10 as I let my brain calm down first. Playing PlayStation is stimulating to the brain so don’t expect to get in bed and fall asleep straight away, if you do your brain will still be active and this will delay the REM cycle kicking in.

Salt is only appropriate if you’re drinking the water I suggested too! Rock salt, not table salt.

signatures small.jpg

19 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

Well it is for me, I try to get 5 hours through the week but only 2 on a friday, I can generally get 6 on a weekend but i work nights so my sleep and eating patterns are all over. I also should drink more water especially on a weekend. The food thing im pretty good with these days. Also people who say they can't afford to eat healthy are just lazy imo, if you can afford crap you can eat healthy.

My sleeping patterns have been all over the place lately, currenty not sleeping until around 4AM 😑.  Yesterday I was out all day, feeling tired in the afternoon but once I get home I'm wide awake again.  This sleeping pattern is messing with my running at the moment ☹️.

8 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

My sleeping patterns have been all over the place lately, currenty not sleeping until around 4AM 😑.  Yesterday I was out all day, feeling tired in the afternoon but once I get home I'm wide awake again.  This sleeping pattern is messing with my running at the moment ☹️.

You have to kind of set the mood for sleep, if you know what I mean? That’s why I get off PlayStation etc half hour at least before I’m expecting to actually close my eyes!

signatures small.jpg

16 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

You have to kind of set the mood for sleep, if you know what I mean? That’s why I get off PlayStation etc half hour at least before I’m expecting to actually close my eyes!

Yeah I get that.  Came off my PC last night to go have a shave, still couldn't sleep after.  Ended finally sleeping around 3.  Although isn't it supposed to be worse for you just laying in bed without sleeping?

I think I'm going to try reading my books before bed and see how that works.

5 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Yeah I get that.  Came off my PC last night to go have a shave, still couldn't sleep after.  Ended finally sleeping around 3.  Although isn't it supposed to be worse for you just laying in bed without sleeping?

Reading is great, a nice warm glass of milk. I actually take ZMA which is Zinc and Magnesium, plus me down a treat. Something I do regularly is go to Rainy Mood and listen to the rain, it's white noise and helps you stop thinking about stuff so your brain can zone out. Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised.

signatures small.jpg

18 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Smoke a massive spliff before bedtime, sorts me right out emoji846.png

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You know there is a lot of work around CBD and all that kinda stuff at the moment and a lot of my fellow athletes swear by CBD oil and drops to help them sleep. So there is some truth in what you're saying.

signatures small.jpg

22 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Although isn't it supposed to be worse for you just laying in bed without sleeping?

They do say your mind isnt ready to go to bed if you dont doze off within 20 minutes.

Whilst reading is good another way is to 'reset' your body by getting out of bed and re-doing your going to bed routine.

No, not turn on the PC and playstation and play for another 5 hours but just small things like going to the toilet, checking your lunch is done for tomorrow and locking up the house.

You need to free your mind of other things that its thinking of to help it get in the mood to turn off.

I'd also totally do @Middle Class Caveman  idea of listen to rain. We've recently put on Alexa to play calming rainfall forest music and its brilliant. People do pay for a calming app out there but Alexa is cheaper after you buy an Echo Dot for your room.

@Middle Class Caveman @GazzaGarratt I do this sometimes already.  We have a Google Home in the bedroom and that can play ambient sounds.  It can be nice to just have it on in the background. It would be nice if I could set a timer so the sounds will turn off after a certain time but I haven't figured out how to do that.