Nutrition for gamers

Nutcuttlit

Are you tired of looking like the beanbag your sitting on. . . . . Need some help in getting back in shape for that Christmas party so you can pack it all on again!!!! Look no further. . . . For just £85 . . . . . . Just fuckin with you. Seriously though if any of you guys have a question about anything nutritional or fitness based slap it in here, myself and Strongman Elliott will help out the best we can.

Via the FG App

Ok Folks, here is a comprehensive guide to improving your nutrition and feeling better/potentially helping you trim a bit of fat if that's your thing.

I'm going to present it as a series of suggestions, @Nutcuttlit will add to this list also as he has expertise here too.

1) The best way to feel good is to get the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals. These come from good quality food and a varied diet (more on this later), my first suggestion is really simple. Go to amazon and buy yourself a Vitamin D and a Vitamin B tablet - these are two essential vitamins that EVERYONE lacks in their diet. Here is a link to the ones I would suggest: Vitamin D Vitamin B These pills have exactly the correct amount you need per day.

2) Changing your eating habits is hard, it takes 21 days for something to form as concrete habit. My second suggestion is to make 1 change a week, this will make it easier to sustain and turn into a new habit. My biggest suggestion for a change right off the bat is to take a healthy lunch with you to work, I have grown very fond of my Thermos Compartment Flask as it allows me to take a hot lunch in one side and some carrots, cherry toms, cucumber in the other. It also has a spoon in it, it's all encompassing. This way I know I have a tasty lunch I WANT to eat and my obligatory veggies that will keep me full.

3) Losing weight is rather easy, its just the application that difficult. My final suggestion is to keep a food diary. Download MyFitnessPal (it's free) and scan/log EVERYTHING you eat. Once you know how many calories you're eating daily (just be honest when you track, no one is gonna know except you), all you have to do is remove some of the calories to start losing weight. A good deficit is about 500kcal a day, however this doesn't have to be from just your food. You could try and burn 300kcals exercising (walk up and down the stairs for 20mins - that's the easiest 300kcals you will ever burn) and then ditch 200kcals from your diet.

This should be enough to get you started, I'm going to add a meal planner thing later today!

signatures small.jpg

So post number 2: What the hell should I be eating?

well that is a very difficult question to answer as it depends on the person, their size, movement throughout the day etc.

However, I can give you some basic guidelines.

1) Eat foods that aren’t calorically dense foods in abundance. Examples? Fruits, vegetables, potatoes, rice etc. Foods that have a lot of volume but not a lot of calories. These should make up a massive part of your diet because they keep you full and are usually full of vitamins.

2) Eat foods you enjoy regularly. This might sound counter-intuitive but if you try and cut out foods you like, you will crave them and binge. Feel free to have a biscuit or bag of crisps once or twice a day but factor that in with your other food choices and track them (see post 1).

3) Don’t get too hung up on certain foods etc. There are no such things as super foods, protein isn’t magic and being a vegan isn’t gonna make you a super athlete. Eat a wholesome, balanced diet.

Here is a typical day of eating for me, I currently weigh 101kg (229lb or 16st 5lb) and I’ve dropped 9kg in the last 4 weeks following these eating patterns:

BREAKFAST - Overnight Oats

1/2 Cup rolled oats

1 Scoop whey protein isolate (chocolate orange!)

1 tsp Chia seeds

1/2 Cup Almond milk (I’m lactose intolerant hence the isolate)

1 Cup blueberries 

to drink: 2 cups Beetroot juice with my Vit D and B

MORNING SNACK 

1 Pink Lady Apple

5-10 Pecans

Coffee with sugar free syrup (I buy skinny strips and put the salted caramel in my coffee)

LUNCH - this depends on what we cook in Sunday’s so I will just put the titles here:

Lentil and Sweet Potato coconut curry

or

Chick Pea and Butternut squash stew

or

Chicken Thigh Stew

or

Chicken Biriyani 

or

Homemade Burgers with Rice

AFTERNOON SNACK - this is my pre-workout meal 

1 Seeded thin bagel

1 tbsp peanut butter

1 banana

drizzle of maple syrup

glass of orange juice

DINNER

This varies day to day however it’s usually some type of meat or salmon with potatoes and a green veg like broccoli or snap peas. This meal all depends on my wife and what she is craving.

EVENING SNACK - just before bed

3 Chocolate cookies

or

some cake

that works out to roughly 2500 calories most days. I’m a creature of habit so I like to eat the same foods regularly.

I hope this helps

Elliott

signatures small.jpg

Just to add a wee bit of what I do to the pot. . . . Fat is not the enemy it's sugar so my morning pick me up is a double shot of coffee with butter and coconut oil. I've been doing this for years and it's a straight blast of energy as the oil is a MCT hence why it's a staple in a keto diet. Also to speed up the bodies metabolic rate try cayenne pepper with any meal it will pair with. I have tried some insane shit over the years and now know what works for me but I can pass on said experiences if need be.

Via the FG App

So @Middle Class Caveman , genuine question....do you have to pop pills everyday for the rest of your life? I've never been a fan of it because I've always been worried your body gets used to that is the only way but just wanted to understand if there are any other foods with B and D vitamins?

Also @Nutcuttlit , I've cut alot of sugar out of my life but I struggle needing a kick from a chocolate bar or a couple of sweets sometimes late at night otherwise I start to fall asleep. Any suggestions as a substitute cos I dont drink coffee.

I usually do what @The3rdWalker  does and eat my one batch 😉 at 9.30/10 and then try and go until 5ish to eat. But man, I am so hungry at 2.30/3pm.

Super thread and keep those ideas coming please.

Also [mention=1640]Nutcuttlit [/mention], I've cut alot of sugar out of my life but I struggle needing a kick from a chocolate bar or a couple of sweets sometimes late at night otherwise I start to fall asleep.

That's probably a sign your should go to bed haha.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

So @Middle Class Caveman , genuine question....do you have to pop pills everyday for the rest of your life? I've never been a fan of it because I've always been worried your body gets used to that is the only way but just wanted to understand if there are any other foods with B and D vitamins?

Also @Nutcuttlit , I've cut alot of sugar out of my life but I struggle needing a kick from a chocolate bar or a couple of sweets sometimes late at night otherwise I start to fall asleep. Any suggestions as a substitute cos I dont drink coffee.

I usually do what @The3rdWalker  does and eat my one batch 😉 at 9.30/10 and then try and go until 5ish to eat. But man, I am so hungry at 2.30/3pm.

Super thread and keep those ideas coming please.

Sadly the answer to that question is yes @GazzaGarratt and you can thank the modern day snowflakes for that. Most modern food is so ‘clean’ that vitamin B is absent because it comes from dirt and bacteria that doesn’t exist in our culture anymore.

Vitamin D comes from the sun and we all live indoors now on our machines. 

signatures small.jpg

Sadly the answer to that question is yes [mention=312]GazzaGarratt[/mention] and you can thank the modern day snowflakes for that. Most modern food is so ‘clean’ that vitamin B is absent because it comes from dirt and bacteria that doesn’t exist in our culture anymore.

This purely depends on which vit B tbh, thiamin riboflavin and niacin (B 1,2,3) vit b12 you can get from red meats and 1,2,3 from most dried fruits.
If your looking for a sugar pick-me-up try dates, I used to eat these and a poon full of agave syrup before powerlifting.

Via the FG App

Can you just take something like a Wellman multi vit? I know I benefit from vit d tabs especially at this time of year with working nights.

Also my meals are mixed up Monday to thurs as breakfast is tea and then I eat a sandwich at 10pm hit the gym at 1.30 am and have maybe a wrap or something small at 5am.

Just for a wee bit of perspective here is my normal day of munchies:

Meal 1: bullet proof coffee , 4 eggs scrambled with diced bacon or if I'm in a rush eggs milk cream cheese and truvia blended.

Snack: litre of water with some dried fruit and nuts.

Meal 2: green veg with chicken breast, flavoured with jerk or cayenne.

Snack; homemade protein bar, rolled oats compressed with butter topped with cashew butter.

Meal 3: meat of any kind and leave the fat on, brown rice and any veg I have.

Before bed: a seriously high calorie shake, I use xxxx mutant cookies and cream flavour which is 2458 calories a shake. When I get home I'll take a pic of it just incase my figures are incorrect. I aim for about 4500 - 5000 calories a day which is an absolute breeze when I was used to consuming nearly 8000 eating nine meals a day before my elbows decided to say fuck you.

Via the FG App

5 hours ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

Sadly the answer to that question is yes @GazzaGarratt and you can thank the modern day snowflakes for that. Most modern food is so ‘clean’ that vitamin B is absent because it comes from dirt and bacteria that doesn’t exist in our culture anymore.

That's a real shame. I've never heard that before but makes sense.

3 hours ago, Nutcuttlit said:

Well man products are overpriced pish imo, I just use Holland & Barrett ABC+.

Via the FG App

Would you both suggest any cheap places to get these said vitamins? Is the above the recommended ones?

21 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That's a real shame. I've never heard that before but makes sense.

Would you both suggest any cheap places to get these said vitamins? Is the above the recommended ones?

the ones I linked I would suggest, they are dirt cheap for a large supply and have the appropriate dosage.

signatures small.jpg

On 11/29/2019 at 7:58 PM, Middle Class Caveman said:

Here is a link to the ones I would suggest: Vitamin D Vitamin B 

Missed the actual links whilst on my phone earlier, my bad. Thats not much at all is it for 6 months and a years worth.

When do you think you would start to feel an impact on having these daily?

57 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Missed the actual links whilst on my phone earlier, my bad. Thats not much at all is it for 6 months and a years worth.

When do you think you would start to feel an impact on having these daily?

Unfortunately that’s a loaded question, Lee. Health is a puzzle with many pieces. I’d argue you need to get the following 5 things right before you truly felt a difference:

1. Sleep - a solid 8 hours with 4-6 hours REM sleep in there 

2. Hydration - the right mixture of water, sodium and potassium in your diet

3. Sugar - this has such an impact on your hormones it’s unreal

4. Vitamins and minerals - not just from pills but from a diet that is full of whole foods and variety

5. Stress - cortisol is a killer. Removing unneeded stress will make a big difference 

signatures small.jpg