Superhero culture is embarrassing

phil bottle

Agree and disagree.

He says the following quote which I can understand from my own experiences - 'The writer claims adults enjoy superhero films because they don't wish to leave their "relatively reassuring childhoods" behind, or move into the 21st century.'

I do enjoy feeling like a kid most days and Superheroes make you feel that way. However, I also do not think that's a bad thing, arguably people could say the same thing about gaming. Just because you want to feel like a kid doesn't mean you'll act like one after the movie. Also, I do believe Superheroes can you give you feelings of hope, when sometimes in life you feel like you haven't got any. That 'Feel Good' factor is what arguably can drive people to do other good things in life - just more within the realms of realism, not saving a family from a burning house every day.

33 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Agree and disagree.

He says the following quote which I can understand from my own experiences - 'The writer claims adults enjoy superhero films because they don't wish to leave their "relatively reassuring childhoods" behind, or move into the 21st century.'

I do enjoy feeling like a kid most days and Superheroes make you feel that way. However, I also do not think that's a bad thing, arguably people could say the same thing about gaming. Just because you want to feel like a kid doesn't mean you'll act like one after the movie. Also, I do believe Superheroes can you give you feelings of hope, when sometimes in life you feel like you haven't got any. That 'Feel Good' factor is what arguably can drive people to do other good things in life - just more within the realms of realism, not saving a family from a burning house every day.

That's a nice, well considered reply Lee.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's one of those things that if you're a fan of the genre, you may like it for decades to come just like gaming. There is no age cut-off point with things like that unlike some toys for instance or 50 year old men still playing the likes of COD. A lot of this superhero stuff is quite mature actually, plus there is an appreciation for how production quality has evolved from decade to decade. What becomes embarrassing about it is when grown adults squabble about such things but all in all, I don't think you're ever too old to keep enjoying such material.  

There is certainly a lot more embarrassing things in this industry right now like all these woke reboots for instance. 

I’m not sure that I’d agree about the white supremacy part.  Any content created by a culture for that culture is heavily focused on the same.  American comics written primarily for Americans are going to sell best when featuring mostly Americans - who are mostly white.  It’s like moaning that Chinese movies made for China star mostly Chinese actors - like duh!

As for them being for adults not wanting to leave their childhood.  Potentially accurate, I’ve seen it mentioned several times that comic book popularity correlates well to depressing and troubling times.  The ‘golden age’ of comics was the great depression and WW2.  It isn’t so surprising that with some of the shit going on in the world today people take solace and comfort in comic books.

Though take out the ‘super’ part and the stories are basically action and thriller stories.  With the Marvel movies adding a a hefty dose of comedy in there too.  Or are all those genre’s also embarrassing?

And finally, who TF cares? What you do in your free time is up to you.  As long as it isn’t illegal....well some illegal is maybe ok but nothing too heinous... then that’s none of my or his business.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

As for them being for adults not wanting to leave their childhood.  Potentially accurate, I’ve seen it mentioned several times that comic book popularity correlates well to depressing and troubling times.  The ‘golden age’ of comics was the great depression and WW2.  It isn’t so surprising that with some of the shit going on in the world today people take solace and comfort in comic books.

This was the interesting buit of the article for me, plus this bit:

“He says superheroes are written and drawn by people who've never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them - saying they appear "to be largely employed as cowardice compensators".

Which might be a dig referring to the comic making business, which has been historically pretty shitty for artists and writers, at least in the UK.

I don’t know if old Alan is feeling a bit sad about the state of the world and the fact that – in his eyes – adults are more likely to know the ins and out of the Marvel universe than how their own country or society works. Maybe that’s my prejudice coming in too though, as it rings true to me.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, Middle Class Caveman said:

So, does he consider V for Vendetta and Watchmen ok for children to read?

Not sure the rape scene in watchmen is good watching/reading for a 13 year old!

I would say he does, he's never been in favour of censorship, or cotton wool.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

6 hours ago, MrUtagawaAkiii said:

disagree - i don't see why adults need to be embarrassed if they like superheroes even if they are old. I mean why should they be ashamed if it makes them happy, right? also, i don't think that it is an age requirement to enjoy things. I even know old people who play new games. they're not embarrassed. 

You're disagreeing with yourself there sunshine, no-one was saying that, there's some context to the statement. Try reading the article 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg