PS5 - using cartridges?

phil bottle

ps5 cartridges.jpg

150049-games-news-ps5-to-use-ssd-cartrid
WWW.POCKET-LINT.COM

A patent filed in Brazil by Sony Interactive Entertainment suggests that the forthcoming PlayStation 5 will use cartridges in some form or...

A patent filed in Brazil by Sony Interactive Entertainment suggests that the forthcoming PlayStation 5 will use cartridges in some form or another.

That leads some to believe that Sony will make its own, swappable solid state drives (SSD). You want to upgrade your storage capacity? Slot a new cartridge into your PS5.

Either that, or it plans some form of return for games on cartridge or, and this is an even longer shot, smaller-capacity memory cards that work like those released for the original PlayStation in 1994 in Japan and '95 in the US and Europe.

The latter is highly unlikely as we could never see Sony ditching USB ports and external drive support. And, as for game cartridges, Sony's own Mark Cerny has already confirmed that the PS5 will come with a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive.

Instead, the patent found and illustrated by LetsGoDigital could indeed refer to larger storage drives you can replace even more easily than the HDDs in the PlayStation 4 models.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Is it possible the games could still be on cartridges and there's just a disc tray for movies and of the sort? 

I think seeing game cartridges come back would actually be super neat. Disc's get scratched and if you're a child they can easily be snapped on accident. Cartridges were durable and you just had to worry about blowing the dust out every once in awhile. 

The ssd inserts sound pretty neat though. The next generation of consoles regardless should opt to using ssds to begin with. Hdds are quite outdated at this point. 

I think the system will probably be digital only but the storage will be cartridge SSD's or an external range of storage which can be inserted and replaced with ease rather than screws having to be undone and warranty's getting put under risk. Games are pushing and surpassing 100gb so if you have a few installed and don't want to delete anything, just swap to a different storage drive with a cartridge maybe.. 

I can't lie. I will be one super happy person if any form of storage or games come in physical cartridge format.

I genuinely believe it would sell like hotcakes because of how retro things work. 20-30 years later everything becomes cool again, even for 5 year olds never knowing what the hell they are.

As @Fusious' comment, they won't break or scratch as easily as discs either. The Switch still uses a form of cartridge that justify their high prices too. Can't see why it can't work for Sony as well?

Plus, I need a reason for @Diddums to annoy me and this will definitely guarantee he'll get the cartridges in the wrong case.