Recluse & One Eyed Mask Nerf

GazzaGarratt

Grabbed this from TWAB yesterday:

From the Development team:

The Recluse

• Changed the effects of Master of Arms:
  • Removed the precision damage modifier
  • Recluse will continue to receive a damage bonus from Master of Arms, but damage will not default to precision values when the perk activates

Many doubted The Recluse when it was first announced, but it has since proved to be resilient to being squashed. Although the precision damage modifier did not actually improve the efficacy of the weapon at its best, it did allow for fairly mindless spraying to be just as good as concentrated aiming. After considering various options on what to do with it, the decision was made to remove that part of the functionality and preserve its activation methods. The alternative was leaving in an effect we believe to be too strong for a Legendary weapon.

One-Eyed Mask

• Changed the effects of Vengeance
  • Removed the overshield granted from defeating an opponent that inflicted damage on you

In a previous sandbox update, One-Eyed Mask received some tuning in how Vengeance was applied to Titans. Next Season, this perk will continue to provide health regeneration when defeating an opponent that has inflicted damage upon your Guardian, but it will no longer grant an overshield.

So yeah, they're finally getting some form of nerf after months of moaning from the community that it upset the balance of PvP and also PvE to some extent with Recluse.

What's everyone's views?

I think the Recluse one won't be too bad. It still needs to stay pretty useful because its a Pinnacle weapon drop. I will still use it for void and SMG kills along the way. I wasn't using it that much in PvP either so I don't think its the worst decision to keep others happy.

OEM - Again, from a Titan that very rarely used it, this seems a pragmatic change but others may think its not enough. I don't see it much and in Comp we've still had games where we've beaten these type of players. I think a lot wear it who need that support, not the very good players that i've played against. Thing is, its an Exotic. So it has to keep some form of exclusivity to the Armour piece otherwise its useless.

Utter nonsense once again good titan stuff gets nerfed and hunters get to keep their bullshit. Leave shit alone. As for recluse imo it didn't need a nerf. Having used it it took a certain kind of playstyle that didn't suit everyone. 

Bungie need to focus in other areas imo

Just now, techno said:

As for recluse imo it didn't need a nerf. Having used it it took a certain kind of playstyle that didn't suit everyone. 

Bungie need to focus in other areas imo

I agree mate - The only thing I can think of is that because it works so damn well in PvE as well as PvP, that the % of players using it was just too high and stopping people changing and trying out other weapons. There's actually some decent alternative SMGs out there too. Even the Vex Offensive one is smart to use. Just people don't venture past something they've found that works for them.

24 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I agree mate - The only thing I can think of is that because it works so damn well in PvE as well as PvP, that the % of players using it was just too high and stopping people changing and trying out other weapons. There's actually some decent alternative SMGs out there too. Even the Vex Offensive one is smart to use. Just people don't venture past something they've found that works for them.

I get that but that's bungies design strategy it seems, tbh I very rarely see the need past what you said to use smg's, how often do you snipe, use bows, sidearms etc I only use certain weapon types for bounties, maybe there are just too many options.😳

I'd rather less options but more usable perk combos

On 11/15/2019 at 10:03 AM, techno said:

I get that but that's bungies design strategy it seems, tbh I very rarely see the need past what you said to use smg's, how often do you snipe, use bows, sidearms etc I only use certain weapon types for bounties, maybe there are just too many options.😳

I'd rather less options but more usable perk combos

If there was less options, even though most people dont try everything ppl would complain theres not enough loot to go after. You cant win.

Bows I only use for triumphs. Outside of that though, I'll use alot of different types, because of bounties but also theres some good loadout to run with for different activities.

Sniper wise is apparently the best on the new raid, smgs are superb at Menagerie, pulse are great in PvP, sidearms are amazing in PvP but no one stupidly uses them, scouts are great in strikes and are becoming a top pick in PvP, shotguns are great in Gambit. I think people just dont know all this cos they dont try out stuff.

Maybe we should put more things for people to try on here. Not sure if that would be useful or not?

I can't see you vaulting Recluse after this, I just think itll be more than viable in strikes, nightfalls and Gambit still.

On 11/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, NCA-Paendrag said:

Recluse seems to wreck (me) in pvp. 

And Bows are awesome. I use it alot in pve. Both Trinity Ghoul and Subtle Calamity (with rampage). Bows are even good in pvp, the one like hardcore. 

Didn't think to use bows in Momentum Control. I think it's going today so will have to try in normal Control.

Recluse will still be a major player after the nerf so dont expect to not be wrecked still 😀

13 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Didn't think to use bows in Momentum Control. I think it's going today so will have to try in normal Control.

Recluse will still be a major player after the nerf so dont expect to not be wrecked still 😀

Bows are pretty much OHK in Momentum. Two to three hits needed in normal. They should keep that mode in imo.