Modern Warfare First Impressions

J4MES OX4D

I'm lifeguarding today so only a short reply but my experience on PC so far has been nowhere near as shit as what I've been hearing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

I'm still no overly convinced by it. There seems to be like 6 maps and they just are not the best.

It's not really one thing about each map. It's the size of the maps, large chunks and parts of maps that are useless. The sightlines, the sheer amount of vantage points and general campy area's/buildings/doors/headglitches.

Just the general amount of cover and things to distract you. Enemies always seem difficult to spot or find.

The movement just feels slow, the custom elements are great but also a curse. Takes ages to unlock something good, also takes a while to work out what's best for certain guns. Why is there like 25-30 different optics available for the M4A1? Why?

Don't get me wrong crossplay is cool, I like how the tried a lot and changed it up a bit. But they spent too much time with all this rather than getting decent maps down, fundamentals, basic immunities, flow, obvious bad spawns. A shotgun that's more like a sniper. I think the 725 on this could be worse than akimbo models on MW2. No lie, the range is sick!

The game feels like we are still in the beta, it's Ghosts 1.5. The general feel, the shit maps. The janky ass looking menus. It all looks like ghosts, I absolutely hated that game. It was the cod that made me stop playing cod for 7 years.

Loved the previous 6 titles before that, all with slight flaws through their life cycle but all superb games.

I will give "this" MW a bit more time, but so far I'm clutching at straws to find enjoyment and replayability besides it's new and I paid money for it.

And oh wtf is up with those challenges, it's a totally ridiculous system in my eyes. You have to pick them and can only do so much at once. I don't like how that's done it's stupid!

14 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

And oh wtf is up with those challenges, it's a totally ridiculous system in my eyes. You have to pick them and can only do so much at once. I don't like how that's done it's stupid!

Oh god the mission system is so stupid - the fact it only tracks one challenge at a time is crazy so you often have to redo things or suffering doing the same thing over and over until you unlock the next part. Why they just didn't have 5-10 challenges in each mission which tracked everything at once rather than just the next thing is beyond me. Many of the challenges don't track properly either which makes it even more annoying. I think this will be completely reworked in time.

Azhir Cave

”Enemy at the destroyed building”

THEY ARE ALL FUCKING DESTROYED YOU USELESS PRICK!! TELL ME SOMETHING FUCKING USEFUL!!
Favourite has to be Picadilly...

"enemy at the bus!"

[emoji16]

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong there are things that can help the game run a bit smoother. Over time I expect things to get somewhat better.

It's just it boils down to some of the maps, they all feel awkward and promote defensive play. The Azhir cave almost had slight reminiscent elements to MW2's Afghan. The Piccadilly reminds me of MW3's underground map. But just much worse variants.

I noticed no snowy maps yet? If it's a big map=Shit. Oh I'm looking at you "Derail" from MW2, Outpost from MW3 wasn't as bad imo. Array from BO 1? A pretty smelly map, nah.

But maps like Summit from BO series and Sub-Base from MW2 were pretty good. Small/medium is ok. But I suppose gridlock from BO 1 again wasn't so great. Well I'm just rambling here it's clear.

Who thought it would be a good idea in Ground War that once a tank is destroyed, it automatically respawns? How about once your team captures a forwarding objective i.e C or the two enemy points; it respawns once destroyed. Or perhaps have 4 tanks max per team. It's bloody ludicrous that there can always be two tanks active at any time and there is no incentive to protect it. If it gets badly damaged, the driver stays inside usually so they can respawn along with it and go on another massive killing spree. In Battlefield you had to earn your tanks. 

I would personally remove them from Ground War because you can't destroy buildings so all it's used for as an infantry rinsing machine. Keep the transport vehicles and that's it. Stupid design. 

I've reached the level 55 cap and now it gets weird because you level up really quickly to unlock challenges to complete i.e rank 56 gives you the challenge to earn a ribbon by completing 150 assault rifle kills for instance. I've jumped to level 63 but there seems to be display issues in-game because it sometimes shows me as level 8. Also a few of the challenges are broken which adds to the frustration on top of normal challenges and missions not working properly either.  I'm not sure of what to make of this 'endgame' element but it's a bit untidy and unreliable it seems. 

13 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I've reached the level 55 cap and now it gets weird because you level up really quickly to unlock challenges to complete i.e rank 56 gives you the challenge to earn a ribbon by completing 150 assault rifle kills for instance. I've jumped to level 63 but there seems to be display issues in-game because it sometimes shows me as level 8. Also a few of the challenges are broken which adds to the frustration on top of normal challenges and missions not working properly either.  I'm not sure of what to make of this 'endgame' element but it's a bit untidy and unreliable it seems. 

I watched an eight thoughts video last night that highlighted the fact the challenges were broken.

So I've played about 50 matches so far:

- 725 needs nerfing
- not seen as much claymore spam as people are complaining about. I've been done a handful of times not every game
- gunsmith is great
- perks are a bit meh
- killstreaks should recycle in a life. I got a chopper gunner just now and would like the next lot of gun kills I had to have counted for another set of streaks.
- support streaks would have been good
- piccadilly is quite possibly the WORST map in cod history and I quit out everytime it's up. It's so bad.
- spawns need work still.
- now I'm getting used to the map I dont feel so hard done by.

What is also horribly lazy of them is the total lack of calling cards and emblems...its a disgrace compared to what was on offer in MW2..same goes for the challenges not tracking automatically.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

On 11/6/2019 at 6:53 PM, Dr Diamond said:

So I've played about 50 matches so far:

- 725 needs nerfing
- not seen as much claymore spam as people are complaining about. I've been done a handful of times not every game
- gunsmith is great
- perks are a bit meh
- killstreaks should recycle in a life. I got a chopper gunner just now and would like the next lot of gun kills I had to have counted for another set of streaks.
- support streaks would have been good
- piccadilly is quite possibly the WORST map in cod history and I quit out everytime it's up. It's so bad.
- spawns need work still.
- now I'm getting used to the map I dont feel so hard done by.

What is also horribly lazy of them is the total lack of calling cards and emblems...its a disgrace compared to what was on offer in MW2..same goes for the challenges not tracking automatically.

I agree with everything you’re saying. Once you hit level 56 there’s a whole new set of challenges that open up and they do track automatically. I wish the UI was more polished. Show what calling cards and emblems are there and how to get them. I do like how you can pick a challenge and work towards competition however I do hate these they are bugged and half ass work. 

I played a few games earlier. Didn't seem too bad to be honest. I wasn't getting insta-killed like in the beta. And there didn't seem to be too many campers. But it's early days so there's still plenty of time for me to get annoyed.

Via the FG App

fart.gif

9 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I played a few games earlier. Didn't seem too bad to be honest. I wasn't getting insta-killed like in the beta. And there didn't seem to be too many campers. But it's early days so there's still plenty of time for me to get annoyed.

Via the FG App

People have started moving around a lot more in the past few days. The first week was bad with the camping. 

On 11/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Dr Diamond said:

What is also horribly lazy of them is the total lack of calling cards and emblems...its a disgrace compared to what was on offer in MW2

I bet the good ones are either monetized or unlocked behind broken challenges. What I find silly is that when you earn a card or emote, it doesn't even tell you what it was for! The whole menu interface needs a major overhaul because basic or important information is missing and things I don't need to know or care about is in my face i.e whoopee I've unlocked a rare calling card but please tell me how and why I unlocked it.

It's also strange that the scoreboard doesn't contain important info either - TDM only tracks kills and assists but not deaths, Kill Confirmed tracks kills and deaths but not tags and objective modes never track the objective counts. You only get given this information at the end. 

It's also strange that the scoreboard doesn't contain important info either - TDM only tracks kills and assists but not deaths, Kill Confirmed tracks kills and deaths but not tags and objective modes never track the objective counts. You only get given this information at the end. 

The way the scoreboard works is intentional. I think it's to stop new players feeling bad or getting abuse if they aren't doing well. Personally I'd rather know who on my team isn't going for the objective.

Via the FG App

fart.gif

Does anyone else have the glitch where Activision friends don't appear in the barracks leaderboards? You can switch between PS4 friends and Activision friends but there's no difference, I still can't see my xbox mates

Does anyone else have the glitch where Activision friends don't appear in the barracks leaderboards? You can switch between PS4 friends and Activision friends but there's no difference, I still can't see my xbox mates

Same for.me

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

Totally agree with James on the scoreboard/menu interface. A blind Mexican child could design it better.

Game is still meh, full of campers, maps are boring and forgettable.

The thing is, I played a lot of cod's. Every cod has campers and other issues with guns/maps etc.

But the rage is real. I find even when I'm having a good game, I'm still not enjoying it.

And when it goes bad it's awful.

It's the worst cod I've ever played. Ghosts is as bad, but it was released so long ago it has an excuse.

But to roll this game out as it was, pathetic. So many things wrong with this game. So what we have to wait for another 2-3 fixes and the game will almost be playable? Why should we have to wait till after Christmas to get a half decent game?

1 hour ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Totally agree with James on the scoreboard/menu interface. A blind Mexican child could design it better.

The thing is, I played a lot of cod's. Every cod has campers and other issues with guns/maps etc.

But the rage is real. I find even when I'm having a good game, I'm still not enjoying it.

It's the worst cod I've ever played. Ghosts is as bad, but it was released so long ago it has an excuse.

But to roll this game out as it was, pathetic. So many things wrong with this game. So what we have to wait for another 2-3 fixes and the game will almost be playable? Why should we have to wait till after Christmas to get a half decent game?

I actually think the better twitch players here, like yourself Kenny, agree with that sentiment but everyone else is enjoying it as it's different to the rest of the CoDs.

I said before it's about changing your game but actually I just think it's being more aware of your surroundings. Maps are so open that theres just a few more places to look.

It's a shame you arent enjoying it as much, have you played much of Gunfight mode?

11 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

Just popped in here to see what the deal is with this game, still won't be picking it up then by the sounds of it.

Rachel, this thread is full of more positive comments than any other CoD over the past 5-6 years. Genuinely is a far more polished game than the rest we've all played. Your sniping kills would actually be appreciated in this 😂

33 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

Just popped in here to see what the deal is with this game, still won't be picking it up then by the sounds of it.

It's decent. It just needs a couple of tweaks for it to be great, you can tell there is a good game underneath. Really it should have been released in November.

fart.gif

Yeah it's hard Gazza. I've wanted to enjoy it, but seems there is a lot wrong with the game. I know it's new and takes time to get things sorted.

I just don't seem to be engaged by it, I play a bit and jump off again. Even if I have time to play it for a good couple of hours, I tend not to indulge. Whereas previous titles, I could binge and grind. Prestiges, calling cards, challenges etc.

I actually had a lot of fun when that 725 was OP. Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be allowed and was ridiculous. But there was a "fun" element to it.

Sick of joining in on a game of picadilly dom only to realize your "stuck" at A flag and can't get out of spawn. 

It's the game itself, it promotes defensive play too much. Not that I was an Uber run n gun beast, but the game is best played with X2 claymores, pre-fire every corner, mount your weapon whenever possible, only walk don't run because the footsteps sound like an Elephant stampede and dead silence isn't ready yet!

It just sickens me, the fact all the maps are huge (Apart from the new map) and people are crawling round the map, lying prone, hiding whatever.

Makes the game feel even slower.

Never in my life have I seen a cod that has so many games that are not completed because the time ran out.

5 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

It's really weird because this game has so many positives from the engine, animations and visuals yet it lets itself down in an astonishing amount of ways. I actually think this game has more issues than any other Call of Duty from a conceptual, design and technical standpoint yet it looks and performs fantastic which gives it almost an illusion of quality that is not reflected in the core gameplay.

Personally I am not surprised this game has issues - it was made by the team responsible for Ghosts and Infinite Warfare along with studio members who by their own admission have been out of the COD picture for a decade. There is still clearly a lot of deadwood at the studio. Ironically, if this game was called Ghosts 2 it would be ridiculed and judging by the rumours, this was what it was originally supposed to be. 

I don't think I have ever been so conflicted with a game because it clearly has potential but I don't know if it'll ever get passed that poor pool of maps, dreadful 20hz servers and ultimately messy gameplay. Maybe this is the start of better things to come in the franchise as the foundation is there with the new engine but with Activision's aggressive monetisation coming in December and a lot of damage already done, this could go the same way as all the others in this gen and once again, all eyes on next year.

I honestly think this game began as Ghosts 2, the old IW staff came back and then tried to do an MW2 on it and what we've ultimately got is the worst aspects of both games.

54 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

It's really weird because this game has so many positives from the engine, animations and visuals yet it lets itself down in an astonishing amount of ways. I actually think this game has more issues than any other Call of Duty from a conceptual, design and technical standpoint yet it looks and performs fantastic which gives it almost an illusion of quality that is not reflected in the core gameplay.

Personally I am not surprised this game has issues - it was made by the team responsible for Ghosts and Infinite Warfare along with studio members who by their own admission have been out of the COD picture for a decade. There is still clearly a lot of deadwood at the studio. Ironically, if this game was called Ghosts 2 it would be ridiculed and judging by the rumours, this was what it was originally supposed to be. 

I don't think I have ever been so conflicted with a game because it clearly has potential but I don't know if it'll ever get passed that poor pool of maps, dreadful 20hz servers and ultimately messy gameplay. Maybe this is the start of better things to come in the franchise as the foundation is there with the new engine but with Activision's aggressive monetisation coming in December and a lot of damage already done, this could go the same way as all the others in this gen and once again, all eyes on next year.

I honestly think this game began as Ghosts 2, the old IW staff came back and then tried to do an MW2 on it and what we've ultimately got is the worst aspects of both games.

So much truth on this post, I agree on every point. For me what hits home is the maps/shoddy menus/challenges, broken things etc.

But your right it all looks good on the eye, I'm not bashing anything graphics wise. It is the core gameplay for me. The cod's I played in the past I never had a problem with.

Omg Black OPs 1 had some horrific lag at times especially at the start of it's cycle.

MW3 had rotten lag as well, MW2 had the "real" campers ohhh the guys you used to see on that game. 

All the maps on this new MW are just not to my taste. If I had to pick 2, Hackney yard and Gun runner are my favourite out the bunch. The maps look very nice overall, but the way they play it just feel doesn't feel good. If anything they all feel grey and sludgey. 

Ghosts was it, it ended my cod career for many years. I said it before multiple times. This new MW does feel exactly as you described. Ghosts 2 with all MW2's worst bits.

Even if they keep adding new maps etc and sort some things out. It's months of torture in the meantime.

I want a playlist with only the new map, everyone has only the 725 pre nerf with an RPG secondary, a Molotov and a flash.

Killstreaks only precision airstrike/sentry gun/juggernaut. Oh and make it groundwar only. Haha.