Modern Warfare First Impressions

J4MES OX4D

My first impressions.

Maps: Some are good, but others are shockingly bad. Now maybe I have always played COD over Battlefield, but some of these maps feel absolutely ginormous. Which is fine if you are playing an objective game, but I got into a game of FFA on a map the size of a small country (Aniyah Palace), with a hundred trillion buildings, and the game went the full distance, and the winner only having 8 kills.

8 kills...

Other maps I feel there is so just so much going on. I struggled playing Domination last night, becasue everytime I get on a flag, I have to cover 30 different vantage points where I could get shot by, and despite all that, there is another 15 spots that I didnt realise and had no chance to inspect. Maps are full of stuff for people to head glitch over and like @GazzaGarrattsaid, I am really struggling to pick out enemies, even with perks and attachments that are supposed to help me. There is just too much crap, too much going on that it just doesnt give you a good feeling when you are trying to move through the map.

Picadilly can go suck a big fat one. This map is horribly designed and having spent 10 mins of TDM trying to fight my way out of my spawn and the game refusing to spawn us elsewhere, i have a deep hatred for this map.

Gun feel: This I REALLY like, even though the game does punish you quite hard until you get them leveled up, and you can start slapping on some attachments. Good variety of weapons with the added bonus of customising it via the gunsmith, even within an actual map being played. Major like by me on that.

Perks: Whoever took away Dead Silence as a perk and put it as a Field Upgrade deserves a slap and a bollock twist because this game punishes you for moving. As a rusher ever since COD2, this game heavily penalises me for a style of play that has been around for years. If you play with a headset (and I really advise you to do so if you arent already) you can easily hear everybody clomping around the map like a herd of elephants which brings me onto Dead Silence.

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK!!

So i now have to earn dead silence to make my footsteps quieter, but wait! Whilst reducing my footstep sounds for ME, every enemy can still hear me clomping around like the rest of the herd?!?! Not seeing the reason why it was designed this way. Plays like the following for me are not going to happen all that often.

https://youtu.be/aReXx58UScU

Movement: The game genuinely feels good. It feels smooth however I dont like the fact Soldier Chubby Buns can only sprint for 5 steps before the life of cheeseburgers catches up to him. Not asking for Marathon Pro, but when some maps are massive, it takes a very long time to make your way from spawn...

Its going to take a while to get used to this game. I just dont know if a lot of the player base is going to stick around in its current state...

APmVvKG.gif

2 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

I got into a game of FFA on a map the size of a small country (Aniyah Palace), with a hundred trillion buildings, and the game went the full distance, and the winner only having 8 kills.

That map is too big even for 20v20 and that's also taking into account that all players usually end up using only one third of it with spawn areas and flanking routes largely neglected. Terrible map which is only ideal for domination and that's it. 

2 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

Picadilly can go suck a big fat one. This map is horribly designed and having spent 10 mins of TDM trying to fight my way out of my spawn and the game refusing to spawn us elsewhere, i have a deep hatred for this map.

Good looking map but once you get spawn trapped on there, it's game over. It's also way too open in Domination and if you cap B, it's almost impossible to lose. 

For me, the Russian map is dreadful - it's like a long 3 lane map with stacks of windows, stairs and elevated places. You can be shot from every direction and height in that one. Also the bridge map is a total mess - I have never had one spawn flip on that one plus you can pretty much spawn trap an entire team of 20 right off the bat. Spawn killing is a nightmare on there also. It definitely needs more flanking routes too.

20 hours ago, Dan94 said:

It's strange cus it's PC towers then with the keyboard and mouse which would signal computer and KBM. I've had PC towers with consoles before so fuck knows

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

I've actually been matched with console players today but only in 20v20 matches. Wasn't happening yesterday so either the crossplay is borked or they are struggling to fill lobbies efficiently already....

I played a few matches of ground war earlier which were horrendous experiences even when doing well. Battlefield may have gone to shit but one thing it always has done right is conquest. 32 players divided into squads with classes and a leaders who can issue commands. Matches are usually tidy, easy to follow and extremely strategic. Maps are also well-designed and appropriately sized.

MW’s attempt at this format is an absolute shit show - there is no strategy, player organisation or flow to matches - it’s like they just made maps bigger and hoped for the best. It’s more of an opportunity for players to build easy killstreaks with as little effort as possible than a grand spectacle. Spawn and flank camping is rife and there are so many windows and cheese spots, you can be shot from any direction at any time. 

On another note, dead silence needs to be a perk or footsteps need to be dialled down IMO. 

14 hours ago, Dan94 said:

I've decided I'm just gunna play campaign for the next week or so until they sort out multiplayer properly.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

I'm holding off buying the game at all for a while. I'm going to wait to see what changes they make. I'm hoping Dead Silence becomes a perk.

fart.gif

So far I’m struggling with this game, I’ve always preferred run and gun but if I play it, I seem to get picked off my campers / head glitchers.  If I play more conservatively I get shot in the back as it is relatively easy to flank on these maps.  Still, overall I have enjoyed what I’ve played and look forward to playing some more.  Hopefully next time I won’t be so tired and so have better reactions.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

3 hours ago, MrBiron said:

Look at this bullshit:

The spawns don't flip at all so the other team is spawn trapped in fucking TEAM DEATHMATCH! You shouldn't able to spawn trap in TDM.

It's the same on the Euphates Bridge map where one team can occupy 90% of the map including the bridge which overlooks the spawn and they wont even flip behind team that's pushed nearly the whole map so one team gets pinned. Even if they get out of the spawn area, they still have to deal with 3 ground level choke points and potentially multiple targets on the bridge. If you push deep and die, the game respawns you right back to your initial spawn so as it stands, there isn't a hope in hell of a flip. 

Even if Picadilly gets fixed, it's design is too flawed - the other spawn area is just as broken as it's completely exposed to the center of the map plus the only safe area is a shop door which can be claymored easily. The white pillars can also be locked down and even if you can catch a break to the centre, you can then be window killed from the top right. Any competent team can control the map and the remainder of the match in the first 30 seconds. It's a beautiful map but its even worse that MW3's downturn.

14 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I played a few matches of ground war earlier which were horrendous experiences even when doing well. Battlefield may have gone to shit but one thing it always has done right is conquest. 32 players divided into squads with classes and a leaders who can issue commands. Matches are usually tidy, easy to follow and extremely strategic. Maps are also well-designed and appropriately sized.

MW’s attempt at this format is an absolute shit show - there is no strategy, player organisation or flow to matches - it’s like they just made maps bigger and hoped for the best. It’s more of an opportunity for players to build easy killstreaks with as little effort as possible than a grand spectacle. Spawn and flank camping is rife and there are so many windows and cheese spots, you can be shot from any direction at any time. 

On another note, dead silence needs to be a perk or footsteps need to be dialled down IMO. 

Okay, I mean we can all be critical of the game but it really isnt that shit @J4MES OX4D.

It isnt CoD as we know it and they have some improvements to make but its definitely not that bad at all.

As I said earlier, your playstyle will dictate how you like this game initially. The reaction feels very similar to how Rainbow 6 felt. Hard as nails to start with but once you adapt to the game more and more, and also unlock better weapons, attachments, etc then you feel like you make a difference.

Maps are bad, I'll give you that. However, I think that's more down to what game mode is available for each map. Dont put a huge open map up with a control point wide fucking open to everyone. Or deathmatch that takes 15 hours to find someone.

4 hours ago, MrBiron said:

Look at this bullshit:

The spawns don't flip at all so the other team is spawn trapped in fucking TEAM DEATHMATCH! You shouldn't able to spawn trap in TDM.

Not seen this happen too much but its something they need to fix for sure.

16 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Seems like business as usual. Money saved once again. 

I dont think that's quite true. The BS you dont like isnt there in this game so potentially for you it could be a winner as you got bored of the series years ago. If you can stomach Destiny PvP, you'd enjoy this I reckon. It's the CoD regulars that love twitchy speed gamers that may not get on with it.

It's good to see the likes of @JBR-Kiwi giving this a try although it will be through some initial pain.

9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Okay, I mean we can all be critical of the game but it really isnt that shit @J4MES OX4D.

It isnt CoD as we know it and they have some improvements to make but its definitely not that bad at all.

As I said earlier, your playstyle will dictate how you like this game initially. The reaction feels very similar to how Rainbow 6 felt. Hard as nails to start with but once you adapt to the game more and more, and also unlock better weapons, attachments, etc then you feel like you make a difference.

Maps are bad, I'll give you that. However, I think that's more down to what game mode is available for each map. Dont put a huge open map up with a control point wide fucking open to everyone. Or deathmatch that takes 15 hours to find someone.

Not seen this happen too much but its something they need to fix for sure.

I dont think that's quite true. The BS you dont like isnt there in this game so potentially for you it could be a winner as you got bored of the series years ago. If you can stomach Destiny PvP, you'd enjoy this I reckon. It's the CoD regulars that love twitchy speed gamers that may not get on with it.

It's good to see the likes of @JBR-Kiwi giving this a try although it will be through some initial pain.

But I can't stomach Destiny pvp 🙂

But from much of the feedback in here, it sounds alot like the usual COD bullshit that puts me off. 

Tried Spec Ops earlier and it’s not quite what I was expecting. There are 4 co-op operations which are objective-based in rather large scale maps. These are supposed to be tied to the story but this doesn’t appear to be the case as they just seem to be generic missions with respawning enemies from all directions. 

There is also Classic Spec Ops which has just one map and you survive an onslaught of enemies which was part of a mission of the campaign except there are stacks more and it’s pretty relentless. Doesn’t appear to be any other missions available at this time which is very disappointing.

i was hoping for something more in-line with MW’s Spec Ops mode, but 4 bland operations and one poxy mission is just not enough here and it’s not a great concept either. Feels really undercooked and poorly thought out. Could be a laugh in co-op once in a while and you can earn MP XP but I can see this getting old fast.

The part I'm happy about is the ability to level up your multiplayer weapons. If there is a class you suck with .... Snipers for example you can get some xp on bots and get new attachments to make them more usable

Tried Spec Ops earlier and it’s not quite what I was expecting. There are 4 co-op operations which are objective-based in rather large scale maps. These are supposed to be tied to the story but this doesn’t appear to be the case as they just seem to be generic missions with respawning enemies from all directions. 

There is also Classic Spec Ops which has just one map and you survive an onslaught of enemies which was part of a mission of the campaign except there are stacks more and it’s pretty relentless. Doesn’t appear to be any other missions available at this time which is very disappointing.

i was hoping for something more in-line with MW’s Spec Ops mode, but 4 bland operations and one poxy mission is just not enough here and it’s not a great concept either. Feels really undercooked and poorly thought out. Could be a laugh in co-op once in a while and you can earn MP XP but I can see this getting old fast.

Via the FG App

I’d agree that the maps aren’t all that great though there are a couple I enjoy.  Playing last night with everyone did highlight what is great about CoD.  Get a few people together and it’s a laugh whether you win or lose.

Though I wish I was more consistent, some games I finish with a 2+ Kd and other I struggle to even manage a 0.5.

Also as much fun as the shotguns are, I can’t see them surviving long without some sort of nerf.  You can OHK from serious range with them.

Priority MP issues acknowledged

Footstep audio needs a lot of toning down. The sounds are quality but the directional and distance audio is way off. People are scared to move and others just soundwhore corners for pre-firing. 

I use Claymore with the x2 perk and it's a filthy setup. I sometimes get more kills this way than gun ones. There's so many doors, angles and corners to exploit, you are guaranteed two kills almost every life.

Battle chatter is laughably flawed - your character will speak at the worst possible times in which the enemy can hear it i.e sneak up on an enemy and your character will shout 'Enemy Spotted' and then the enemy turns round and you get melted. It can't be disabled either.  All they have to do is make it so only your team can hear such notifications. If they aren't willing to do that, then there has to be an option to turn it off.  

Spawns need a complete rework on the non-beta maps especially Picadilly. I never thought Spawn trapping would ever come back after Havana ooh na naa in Black Ops 1. Even spawn killing is an issue on bigger maps especially in ground war. 

i was gonna download tonight but it seems its twice the shit show on PC right now. Swathes of people's games crashing and unable to play multiplayer or campaign without constant crashes.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

I personally love the game and see some great potential. I haven't bought a COD game in a while because to be honest, I didn't like the futuristic crap and flying around. This game doesn't seem to have some spawn trapping issues on some maps as well as it seems to promote a lot of camping rather than the fast play style that COD has always been about. Other than that, I miss the feeling. It definitely has the potential to be the best COD made IMO.

datfroggieguynewsig.jpg

I got home late last night so hopped on for a couple quick solo games and discovered 2 things.

Firstly, this game can suck playing solo. In a group where you can have a laugh and play tactically, it’s good.  Solo play though I’m just finding frustrating.

Second, the quarry map (can’t remember it’s name) is terrible.  Played it for the first time last night and instantly spawn trapped.  The enemy team held the bridge and the map is so open sniped anyone that went in to the open.  I tried counter sniping but there’s too many angles to cover so just got shot in the back instead.

I got home late last night so hopped on for a couple quick solo games and discovered 2 things.

Firstly, this game can suck playing solo. In a group where you can have a laugh and play tactically, it’s good.  Solo play though I’m just finding frustrating.

Second, the quarry map (can’t remember it’s name) is terrible.  Played it for the first time last night and instantly spawn trapped.  The enemy team held the bridge and the map is so open sniped anyone that went in to the open.  I tried counter sniping but there’s too many angles to cover so just got shot in the back instead.

Unsurprising that they dont know how to balance large scale battlefield style big player count maps.

Huge part of the problem here is the player base. The only reason they release half finish products every year is that not matter how bad the games suck, there is a sea of people that will buy it and they make money either way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

My worry is they get rid of large battles at some point which I hope they don't. Always want to have one or two modes where its higher than 6v6 is available but I think it's purely down to how the large maps are laid out.

Cant believe we'd agree on that Adam @Dr Diamond...

Maybe they need to remove a few large ones and tweak them before putting them back into rotation.

The one plus, if it is one is that it's made me appreciate sniping more in battles and not sticking to one gun all the time.

Oh, and @Greboth agree with the solo thing, not so much the Shotgun nerf you mentioned previously. I think they arent OP at all, it's just they work well on one life modes like SnD and Bomb Array (if that's the right name??).