Modern Warfare First Impressions

J4MES OX4D

Stick them in here. I've only played about 8 matches so far and haven't touched the campaign or seen all the maps - I'll probably give my impressions a bit later after I've seen more and sampled some of the campaign. No kill confirmed though by the look of things which is very disappointing. 

It's been a bit of a mixed bag for me today. I have only played the multiplayer so far and I've noticed more problems than positives.  It's the usual story - rain someone with bullets and they seemingly melt you in one. Put that down to the cheap-ass shitty servers.  Some of the maps are really piss poor also - not many flow all that well and a lot encourage passive-defensive play. Spawns are terrible on some and I can't believe how many head-glitching and camping spots there are.  The menu interface still looks and functions poorly and all the good gear is locked at higher levels so if you play against users who have got a head start, you may be in for a rough ride. 

The movement feels fluid, the visuals are good and the weapons are decent to use but I wouldn't say this game is all that enjoyable. It brings back a lot of issues from MW2 but doesn't have the fun factor that made that game so great and forgivable. I'll probably play a few more matches over the course of the weekend and then probably go through the campaign and spec ops.  

all the good gear is locked at higher levels so if you play against users who have got a head start, you may be in for a rough ride. 

You can rank up by playing the campaign or Spec Ops. That's what I'll be doing.

Via the FG App

fart.gif

I haven't played it, im waiting for reviews and so far what im reading on Twitter is its MP is horrible and pretty much mirrors what I thought of the beta the maps are atrocious. However the campaign is getting great reviews which might mean trying to get a cheap copy one day to do that.

Completely disagree with James here. Sorry. The game is fun. The changes they have made from the beta are extremely noticeable. Great job IW on listening to the community. Same with the maps. Are the mind blowing, no. Are they something different and refreshing from the three lane maps we’ve been getting, absolutely. The guns feel great  the TTK is spot on. No too fast that you can’t turn on someone. I don’t get a lot on the shoot first die first scenarios. If I do it’s been I was running a SMG and was a at longer distance against a AR. That was a mistake made by me. You can still rush but need to be smart about it, so don’t be a dumb ass and run through the open area and wonder why I died then go right back and die again. Get good. Don’t be fucking stupid. I played probably six MP matches and was top two or three all matches and top score twice. Learn the maps, learn how to use cover and don’t engage in fights you shouldn’t. Play smart and you will enjoy the game. Play reckless and stupid and you will

hate it. Enough sad. So yeah @Diddums will hate it 🖕🏻

Well my initial thoughts are two halves.

Initially, I have to say it felt bloody awful. It clearly feels like a steep learning curve because the maps, the starting guns are all pretty crap imo. A few maps I really enjoyed but they need to specific maps switched off for some gamemodes. Playing last night with @fg_cal @Chookes and @STE M was horrible on wide open maps for Deathmatch. Very like BR games, run around from spawn for 2 minutes to get battle but get picked off out of nowhere. Also, not sure if the colours have changed from the beta but I struggled like mad to find where my opponents were. When you watch the death cam it's like they could easily see you.

Now for the good.

Dont judge the game until you unlock stuff. It's more and more feeling like R6 than any other game but not as sweaty/Competitive (yet) as that game.

As soon as you get to level 4 it unlocks the M4 and you start to feel better about the game. Sights matter so much to identify where people are.

And it's far more about tactical attacks, not just blindly running around and getting kills. I slowed myself down, found where the enemy were bottlenecking up and took kills out of them. I went from first games in CoD 1-15 to going positive on nearly every game.

It's like @TigerBurge says, don't be naive like a million others and treat this like its just another CoD because it doesnt feel like that - and this franchise needed this with everyone hammering to Kingdom come.

I think theres a lot they need to tweak amend based on my early bad points (and dont forget how too easy it is for them to get UAVs everywhere) but there is a promising game underlying here.

Euan struggled like fuck to start with and @Diddums will hate it atm as Shotguns need tuning - you cant blindly run around yet and get kills out of nowhere.

It's not just the game developers that have to adapt to the changing market, gamers do too. Otherwise they need to just stay on their PS3s and Xbox 360s.

I've only played the campaign, which is pretty decent, though a bit too much on rails for my liking. It looks, sounds and feels great.

I imagine there's going to be some tweaking of MP post launch but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Only played some private games v bots so can't really judge yet.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I am considering downloading tonight but what I'm hearing Is that it isnt quite the old style cod ?

I have sandstorm which is realistic tactical FPS that is easy to get wrecked on as all the weapons kick like a mule and have all sorts of things affecting them like bullet drop, damage drop off etc

Kind of just want a cod game with decent connection, minimal bullshit and cool kill streaks to wail on noobs

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

On 10/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

It's been a bit of a mixed bag for me today. I have only played the multiplayer so far and I've noticed more problems than positives.  It's the usual story - rain someone with bullets and they seemingly melt you in one. Put that down to the cheap-ass shitty servers.  Some of the maps are really piss poor also - not many flow all that well and a lot encourage passive-defensive play. Spawns are terrible on some and I can't believe how many head-glitching and camping spots there are.  The menu interface still looks and functions poorly and all the good gear is locked at higher levels so if you play against users who have got a head start, you may be in for a rough ride. 

The movement feels fluid, the visuals are good and the weapons are decent to use but I wouldn't say this game is all that enjoyable. It brings back a lot of issues from MW2 but doesn't have the fun factor that made that game so great and forgivable. I'll probably play a few more matches over the course of the weekend and then probably go through the campaign and spec ops.  

Agree with most of this tbh.

The game itself has potential but many of the problems stem from stuff that can't be fixed. The maps are fucking atrocious to be quite honest. I like the idea of not having a 3 lane system on every map like the old cods, but some buildings have 3, 4, 5 storeys, its a campers paradise. Couple that up with numerous head glitching spots and dark windows/corners (which have improved since the beta tbf, but still an issue). The maps dont flow very well at all either, its a constant run round the map, there's no power points or action areas, which just promotes camping again. Look at old maps like Slums for example, its a massive fight for that middle ground, as once you have that you can hold it, and if you lose it, the tide of the game changes. With these maps, it seems to be 'a little' action all around the map instead. The fact you need an ATV in some TDM maps just to get around because they're so big is a joke. 

The colour scheme on the maps is crap too.  I understand they've gone for a 'realistic' look, but they're so dull. They look like WAW or WW2 maps, very grey and dark looking. You can be realistic and still be bright and nice to play on/look at; MW2 is a prime example. There's a difference between bright and cartoony. Spawns are terrible too, Ive had TDM games where our team is practically in the other spawn and they continue to spawn there. Some very odd spawns in the bigger maps too where you spawn miles away from ANYONE right at the back of the map, like wtf??

I also agree with the shoot first and die first scenario. I've lost count the amount of times I've hit someone 2-3 times only for them to melt me in what seems 2 bullets. I dont mind being outplayed or outsmarted, but when you're shooting someone, they have to stop running, bring their gun up, shoot at you, and still manage to kill you, something isnt right. Not sure if its shitty ping/servers (I see Xclusive Ace just released a video about high pings in MW, so will be an interesting watch to see what thats about.

Some good points... I like how much you can customise weapons, the weapon ranks, the variety of weapons in each class and how each weapon can be used viably, even the LMG's. The weapons also look and feel great with the recoil, sound and movement, very realistic. 

The best time I've had so far is on SnD, probably due to there being 2 action spots at either bomb site and not just running around the map looking for people/running into campers.

1 hour ago, Dan94 said:

Agree with most of this tbh.

The game itself has potential but many of the problems stem from stuff that can't be fixed. The maps are fucking atrocious to be quite honest. I like the idea of not having a 3 lane system on every map like the old cods, but some buildings have 3, 4, 5 storeys, its a campers paradise. Couple that up with numerous head glitching spots and dark windows/corners (which have improved since the beta tbf, but still an issue). The maps dont flow very well at all either, its a constant run round the map, there's no power points or action areas, which just promotes camping again.

Also, map control is way too easy and you can win so easily just by claiming certain power positions and holding them down - very prominent in 20v20+. It's boring as fuck but if you want an easy win, this is the way you can play. It's no fun whatsoever to play against though.  In the likes of MW2 and BO for instance, you could play a variety of styles whereas in MW, rushing and being offensive can be punished too easily. COD is not a tactical or hardcore FPS by sheer design yet it plays like one here and that's why a lot of the fun and variety has been sucked out. It's a very conflicted design and the fact they didn't have the bollocks to take the minimap out kinda proves they aren't comfortable pushing this philosophy of the wider population yet they still want to hamstring them whilst bringing back a lot of negatives associated with MW2.   

If I play a way I don't want to play, I do really well but if I want to have fun and play a more livelier match as the maps are clearly intended by size, I get punished. I love they moved away from 3 lane by-design maps but it feels like they've just created overly-detailed environments rather than strategic maps to be enjoyed and open to a variety of playstyles here.  Spawn trapping and killing is back too! 

37 minutes ago, techno said:

Is it true there's no kill confirmed?

Can't stand camp death match and only ever played it previously for challenges.

Cod was always a fast paced twitch shooter who decided to turn it into battled?

Kill confirmed is available but only in private matches apparently!? TDM is a nightmare - it's full of corner campers and crouch walkers! 

Another thing that I find strange is how after every match, the lobby is broken up and you can go from a completed game into one that's already ongoing - why not simply retain the lobby for the next match? 

29 minutes ago, Dan94 said:

Anyone else finding they're getting keyboard and mouse players in their lobbies?

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

Double check your crossplay is restricted to inputs rather than unrestricted and if you’re joining a party leader, make sure they also have their settings set to restricted. I have a feeling those are console players using KBM and they’ve found a backdoor to cheat the input detection most likely.

Double check your crossplay is restricted to inputs rather than unrestricted and if you’re joining a party leader, make sure they also have their settings set to restricted. I have a feeling those are console players using KBM and they’ve found a backdoor to cheat the input detection most likely.
These are the only settings I have for cross play80d97ac5fbf723a06b7a824c68fdd5f5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dan94 said:

These are the only settings I have for cross play80d97ac5fbf723a06b7a824c68fdd5f5.jpg

Seems they’ve removed the extra setting that was in the beta. I’d take a punt and say that it is working in regards to inputs but console users have found a loophole of sorts as expected. Every PC game I’ve played has been locked to KBM either with fellow PC users or them using it on console.

Seems they’ve removed the extra setting that was in the beta. I’d take a punt and say that it is working in regards to inputs but console users have found a loophole of sorts as expected. Every PC game I’ve played has been locked to KBM either with fellow PC users or them using it on console.
It's strange cus it's PC towers then with the keyboard and mouse which would signal computer and KBM. I've had PC towers with consoles before so fuck knows