No Loot Boxes - Battle Pass Confirmed

J4MES OX4D

Activision have confirmed there will be no loot boxes however there will be a Battle Pass for each season. The pass is divided into two - free and premium streams and both have their own cosmetic rewards. Weapons and unlocks are earned by playing the game leveling the usual way. The questions are now how much is each pass and how long is a season. This should be positive news but there's always a catch after everyone has bought the game and the reviews are in...

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Activision have confirmed there will be no loot boxes however there will be a Battle Pass for each season. The pass is divided into two - free and premium streams and both have their own cosmetic rewards. Weapons and unlocks are earned by playing the game leveling the usual way. The questions are now how much is each pass and how long is a season. This should be positive news but there's always a catch after everyone has bought the game and the reviews are in...

The same system that's in destiny.

Another question is how long do you need to play on average to rank up as with destiny there's a paid booster towards end of season.

32 minutes ago, techno said:

The same system that's in destiny.

Another question is how long do you need to play on average to rank up as with destiny there's a paid booster towards end of season.

Activision did this with Black Ops 4 and their operations - they made it so hard to rank up to get the ‘good’ gear, people would either have to pay up in the end, or play for several hours a day every day for nearly two months. This was even after the nerf. 

People we so desperate, they were happy to buy hundreds of blank tiers at an average of £1 just to get some shitty cosmetic. Activision will stifle and milk the hell out of this.

Like fuck are Activision suddenly gonna become good guys. Where there's money, there's a way for Activision to extract it. 

Of course the blame doesn't entirely lie at Activision's feet, it's the dumb cunt gamers who spend all the money on this shit in the first place. Close the tap and they'll soon move on to other things. Unfortunately gamers are in general dumb fucks who keep spending money on stupid shit so the Megacorp Inc publishers will always be there to milk it.

I wonder when they're releasing the Celestial Steed for WoW Classic.

banlol.png

Honestly, it's the best thing that could happen. A season pass is clear, guaranteed stuff for a price. You know what you have to do get said stuff, and providing it stays all cosmetic and not game changing then there isnt a problem with it. Dont like it? Dont buy it.

Fortnite has done amazingly well on it and Destiny's pass just shows that it removes any bullshit RNG loot boxes that could be bought (maybe with exception of Exotic engrams in Destiny's BP).

Btw, not saying Activision need any pats on the back as this was obvious they needed to do it because of lootbox backlash. Just be good to focus on how good/bad the game is for once rather than surrounding bullshit that puts people off.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

This sounds good on paper but I have a few concerns:

1) How much will these battle passes cost? Anything over £10 is too much.

2) What will be in the "free" stream compared to the premium stream? Will the free stuff just be utter shite to try and make people pay for the battle pass?

3) What will the earn rate be like? Will the purposely make the earn rate of the free stuff slower than the premium stuff in order to, again, make people pay.

4) How much will the stuff in the shop cost? If it's £10+ for one skin then that's just a ripoff. And will the shop stuff be better than any of the stuff you get if you pay for the battle pass?

I have absolutely zero faith in MicrotransActivision which means I suspect they'll find a way to fuck this up and make it all about fleecing gamers.

fart.gif

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

This sounds good on paper but I have a few concerns:

2) What will be in the "free" stream compared to the premium stream? Will the free stuff just be utter shite to try and make people pay for the battle pass?

3) What will the earn rate be like? Will the purposely make the earn rate of the free stuff slower than the premium stuff in order to, again, make people pay.

4) How much will the stuff in the shop cost? If it's £10+ for one skin then that's just a ripoff. And will the shop stuff be better than any of the stuff you get if you pay for the battle pass?

I have absolutely zero faith in MicrotransActivision which means I suspect they'll find a way to fuck this up and make it all about fleecing gamers.

1. Probably £10-12 every two months. It'll replace the season pass lost revenue I expect and probably work about about £50/$60 worth of passes for the whole year. 

2. I'm expecting shite cosmetics from calling cards, emotes, common camos and even blank tiers. Premium tiers will likely be full on each level and offer far more attractive 'rare' and 'legendary' stuff. 

3. Hard to gauge the earn rate because they don't want to slow it down too much so people are put-off from going premium, but then they wont want to make it so rapid, people may neglect on buying the inevitable boosters. If BO4 is anything to go by, they with rig and tweak on the fly rather than having an consistent and fair system to start with. 

4. Probably £1 to £500 - you can't put a price on Activision's greed. They'll also be selling COD points and boosters no doubt. If they can sell a boxing glove melee weapon for the same price as a game then there is no asking what people will be willing to buy and for how much. 

I don't think it'll end up as tacky as Treyarch's microtransactions but it'll be just as prominent.

1. Probably £10-12 every two months. It'll replace the season pass lost revenue I expect and probably work about about £50/$60 worth of passes for the whole year. 
2. I'm expecting shite cosmetics from calling cards, emotes, common camos and even blank tiers. Premium tiers will likely be full on each level and offer far more attractive 'rare' and 'legendary' stuff. 
3. Hard to gauge the earn rate because they don't want to slow it down too much so people are put-off from going premium, but then they wont want to make it so rapid, people may neglect on buying the inevitable boosters. If BO4 is anything to go by, they with rig and tweak on the fly rather than having an consistent and fair system to start with. 
4. Probably £1 to £500 - you can't put a price on Activision's greed. They'll also be selling COD points and boosters no doubt. If they can sell a boxing glove melee weapon for the same price as a game then there is no asking what people will be willing to buy and for how much. 

I don't think it'll end up as tacky as Treyarch's microtransactions but it'll be just as prominent.
For me if it's only cosmetic it doesn't cause any problems when they start to incorporate weapons it'll be an issue. Like Blops 4 some guns are battle pass like requirements

Via the FG App

On 10/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, MrBiron said:

Agree and I dont think it'll be too different to that price.

Yes it will be shite apart from a few things near the latter end of the free pass. That's how this model works.

This for me is the real question which all game companies are struggling to get right. Go in too low and they miss a shit load of extra cash that people will throw at any old skin because that's what people love doing.

Go in too high and you could get a smaller trickle of your expected sales, HOWEVER:

1) Going in high means you can always bring it down as you learn what people will/wont buy.

2) people will pay almost anything for some things, just like you see with Deluxe Special EgoFragilistic Editions of games that go for nonsensical prices but people will buy them cos they want them.

If 2 keeps happening which it does more often than not, theres no incentive to do number 1 more. Shame as I think I'd buy a shit load more stuff for a few quid here and there on things like Destiny and Fortnite.

12 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I'd definitely buy a nice skid if it was a couple of quid. But there's no way I'd pay £20 for a skin. 

I'm with you. It was the same on Overwatch, just cant justify pretty much an indie game price for a skin. But as I say, that's not just CoDs fault that's the whole industry. I wont hold it against this CoD if this happens.