Shadowkeep First Impressions

GazzaGarratt

So. Shadowkeep.

Be good to hear all your first impressions. Be good to know what's the best thing about it and also what would be the first thing you would change if you could?

Once I've finished the campaign I'll put up my initial thoughts as I've still got a little bit to do.

I quite enjoyed dismantle simulator, a little different to the usual linear story mission and in happy I only have to go through it once not once per character.

Loved the last mission.

One possible issue is I've not found anything I really want to use weapon wise other than what I used before. Maybe there maybe something as there are loads but nothing better. 

The other thing I have issue with so far is inside PvP 3v3 survival with so much heavy spawning is a major issue imo. I really don't think it should be in that gamemode at all, especially with wardcliffe coil and colony. Comp PvP should be gun and abilities only.

After finishing the story and started the power level grind, I have both very positive and some negative feelings about the expansion. 

I think what what they did with the moon was done very well. You have a lot of familiarity with it but at the same time it feels different. Love the Red Keep. Looks great. The nightmare bosses that spawn are a nice touch. I like the difficulty of things. You weren’t just able to muscle through it. The nightmare hunts are really fun. I don’t care if they are re-skin weapons but I really like the vex offensive weapons. Especially the SMG with a good tool. They did a really good job with leveling in my opinion too. The  grind to 900 wasn’t bad. By the time I finished the story and did a couple of strikes I was at 900. Now the grind after 900 has been a little more tedious, not horrible but more demanding. I also really like the addition on the season pass. Gives me a reason to do bounties now 

I really domt don’t like the new mod system though. I think it’s stupid to put elementals on armor mods. You can only equip this scavenger mod on these boots because they both have solar elements. That’s dumb. People are going to grind the game regardless or they are going to stop. This doesn’t do anything but make you grind more and the HC players will be there anyway. This needs to change. They need to make all armor transmog. Not just everversa or seasonal. I have a ton of armor I would like to show off but will never be able to wear it. Let us look how we want. I don’t like the new upgrade system that much either. Adding ascendant shard to level up armor. This game really needs less currency not more. 

All in all I really like the changes, none are game breaking. Most are really good for the game. Well done Bungie. Hope it continues 

Well, finished the campaign last night. Had a few goes on Vex new stuff too. So here goes.

Hot take. Destiny positive guy thinks its worthwhile.

Well yeah, duh. But it shouldn't be a surprise if you a regular player of Destiny that enjoys the games ways of giving different activities and rewards in the way it does. It will always be worthwhile to these people as you will get you moneys worth in terms of time.

I think if you strip away the bias views from Destiny lovers I actually think Bungie has been extremely clever with making this content in the way they have at one of the most defining moments Bungie will ever have with Destiny.

If you have committed to move away and be independent from any publisher, make a stand and change the entire base game plus most of 2 years worth of content free to play, enable cross save across multiple platforms, with a few new ones in there as well, you can start to ask how the hell could they make a brand new expansion that is a little bigger than Rise of Iron? So clearly the right thing to do was to 're-imagine' content from D1 in the main. Yeah, other people will straight away go for re-used, recycled, same old content, etc. I can understand parts of it but it really has 'evolved' into something new. It doesn't feel old however you get the best of both worlds because from time to time you recognise an old Helium Filament run and get that nostalgic boost which many of us do ask for.

The campaign is relatively short, same as most campaigns. In the main i'd say it was slightly shorter than I hoped, being a lover of the story and unanswered questions. However, it was quality over quantity. The updates they've made to it really stand out. Notice how you had other NPC Guardians shooting the Hive down next to you as you battled through? It actually felt like you were finally part of a wave of Guardians, not just Billy no mates here to save the day again. Enemies have been created at the optimum damage level to the relevant Power level you expected to be around. The Hive hit slightly harder than usual and the Nightmare versions did make me jump back from time to time.

Spoiler paragraph ahead - In terms of Quality though, for anyone who loves the mystery of Destiny or even kinda half gets it, knew how impressive it was to turn the corner after hearing hysterical screams from Nightmares, to a huge glowing Earth in the sky....to then be presented with the first ever Pyramid ship we've seen in-game was breathtaking. It sounds like most Destiny regular players have found this to be the best surprise of all. And that was pretty much topped by going into it by the end. I won't talk more about it, you really have to do the campaign to experience it.

The dialogue and ideas behind the Nightmare's work well, although its a shame with Destiny's story its very difficult to connect back to open endgame content. I think the only way would be to hold back multiple additional missions along the way, but then they'd be told off for holding back content. It would be cool to have extra dialogue through the next 3 months - maybe the dungeon will provide this.

Replayability of the Moon and Nightmare Cryptoglyph to farm weapons i'm undecided on. Thats because I haven't played it enough yet. I actually went instead to do the Vex Invasions and then the Vex Offensive first. Now that was a lot of fun. Not groundbreakingly hard but another variation and change up that made Menagerie a winner. However, this is why I said earlier that Bungie had been clever. This content is actually part of season 8. But you get that included in Shadowkeep if you buy it.

I'll come back and talk more about the content in a few weeks I reckon. The great thing now is that we kinda know what to expect in how these seasons go. I've paid my money for the whole year, and now I get to sitback and watch it all the content drop.

TLDR, Even if specific Shadowkeep elements are potentially lighter than usual, the huge amount of changes that have come at the same time mean its possibly the best ever time to hop back in.

A game you'll continue play alongside everything else. Its the Constant One.

Enjoying it so far with some meh moments.

The grind to max light itself isn’t bad, think it will take three weeks max and as I don’t mind jumping around in all different modes quite happy to do that.

As ever I take little notice of the story! Seemed ok. Had one moment of massive confusion when I thought Uldren Sov turned up before remembering my hunter looks very like Uldren Sov by coincidence , duh!

New armour system I am undecided about , don’t see the need for the affinity system but equally not sure I’m that worried about. 

Love being back on the Moon! Welcome back Monte Carlo

Not sure I totally understand the point of nightmare hunts but as mini strikes they are ok. The joy of being slapped around by Phogoth again !

Vex Invasion I’m finding very meh. I’m not keen on things you can’t fail and you don’t seem able to fail this. At least Menagerie had  some variety and you could fail individual steps. This is like the ultimate no skill no jeopardy hold fire down for 20 minutes. Hope it evolves as running it three times for light is a chore already.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, Baabcat said:

Enjoying it so far with some meh moments.

The grind to max light itself isn’t bad, think it will take three weeks max and as I don’t mind jumping around in all different modes quite happy to do that.

As ever I take little notice of the story! Seemed ok. Had one moment of massive confusion when I thought Uldren Sov turned up before remembering my hunter looks very like Uldren Sov by coincidence , duh!

New armour system I am undecided about , don’t see the need for the affinity system but equally not sure I’m that worried about. 

Love being back on the Moon! Welcome back Monte Carlo

Not sure I totally understand the point of nightmare hunts but as mini strikes they are ok. The joy of being slapped around by Phogoth again !

Vex Invasion I’m finding very meh. I’m not keen on things you can’t fail and you don’t seem able to fail this. At least Menagerie had  some variety and you could fail individual steps. This is like the ultimate no skill no jeopardy hold fire down for 20 minutes. Hope it evolves as running it three times for light is a chore already.

I think the new armour system is starting to make sense a little bit. But really is no point in worrying about it until you are nearer 950.

My grind for light has gone tbh. Yeah, I want to be higher but its throwing me enough stuff that it gradually goes up anyway. Bounties and Season Pass levels are the new grind and a pretty cool one for me. Totally the right move to have it.

I thought you could fail Vex Invasions Bob, as there is a timer when crystals pop up. Don't get me wrong, not sure how people could fail that still anyway but its a nice variation when they have some fantastic guns available that you can go and farm. I've used the Scout Rifle and SMG in Iron Banner last night and they did pretty well at a much lower light level. I'm keeping a Scout Rifle roll with Triple Tap and Dragonfly for PvE.

Vex offensive was a nice novelty but only doing it now for xp, I've no weapons from it except optative that I want to use but it's not going to replace Luna's unless I need void.

Iron banner seems so far to have been dumbed down a little but I enjoy doing it so that's fine. However the same weapons, really they couldn't have added something different or even reskinned them? What do I use all the tokens for, ib or factions ? 

Im starting to get into the armour especially after watching a few mtashed videos it's nice to play around with and with infusing being so cheap why not.

Still plenty to get on with but that's probably down to the grind in the season pass thing. 

Maybe get into the raid? But it hasn't crossed my mind yet tbh. 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, techno said:

Vex offensive was a nice novelty but only doing it now for xp, I've no weapons from it except optative that I want to use but it's not going to replace Luna's unless I need void.

Iron banner seems so far to have been dumbed down a little but I enjoy doing it so that's fine. However the same weapons, really they couldn't have added something different or even reskinned them? What do I use all the tokens for, ib or factions ? 

Im starting to get into the armour especially after watching a few mtashed videos it's nice to play around with and with infusing being so cheap why not.

Still plenty to get on with but that's probably down to the grind in the season pass thing. 

Maybe get into the raid? But it hasn't crossed my mind yet tbh. 

yeah thats the key bit about armour , so cheap to try different perks out that’s it’s a decent system. Also upgrading to 7 energy is dead cheap so worth doing. Higher than that expensive but I’ll only do that on a few prices anyway. kinda thinking of junking pretty much all my old armour at this point 

On 10/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, techno said:

Interesting way to boost alt characters in this video as they're charging £20 🤬

£20 is mind blowing at pretty shit tbh. Cant defend that at all. Shame that they're doing it probably because they know some will pay it and it really isnt worth it.

Everyone should make sure they talk to people here as with a little help from each other you can get your other guardians up in no time.