Cross play now up to developers Sony says

Glad Sony did a u-turn on their original stance which was inflamed during the Fornite saga. It still doesn't appear they are too comfortable with the offering but it will benefit gamers and games immensely. Sony have no real reason to fear competition when they have so many key benefits to buying their own systems so it's truly bizarre why they wished to restrict 3rd party games this way which aren't even running on their own servers. 

Nice to see it but I've always been bothered that if they do all go fully crossplay, I want to know what their controls are in place to stop Mouse & Keyboard players playing in twitch based PvP games. It completely ruins the playing field for certain games.

Also, I wonder how much MTX and DLC will be pushed in the next 12-24 months because of this. Clearly companies won't get that extra cash that they rely on from certain players buying multiple copies of the same game.

Great for consumer but unsure on how it impacts developers.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

The cross-play controller v mouse & kb debate is overdone in my opinion. Controllers have aim assist. Don't understand the fuss.

Even with aim assist, keyboard and mouse has such a huge advantage I've found. I ran into quite a few KBM users on the MW alpha + beta on PS4 and I didn't stand a chance. I also played in a few mixed lobbies on PC before the crossplay restrictions went live and I absolutely shredded some of the pad users that it was just no fun.

There are definitely a lot of controller users out there who play on low sensitivities that could probably go toe to toe with a few KBM users but most of the latter are ultra sweaty bastards who would do anything to win and play good even if it sacrifices fun and a fair game. 

I do think there are a lot of games where this wont make much of a difference but games like Siege competitive have been plagued with people abusing such loopholes. 

On 10/9/2019 at 1:42 PM, phil bottle said:

The cross-play controller v mouse & kb debate is overdone in my opinion. Controllers have aim assist. Don't understand the fuss.

It probably is but whilst that's part of the problem, the facts are that there is a significant advantage. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if it really doesn't impact on most of us average players, no one like an unlevel playing field.