Modern Warfare Beta Impressions

GazzaGarratt

Apart from 3 or 4 matches where it seemed I couldn’t kill anyone.  The rest were fine though and I enjoyed it.  As Stretch said, it’s gone from a no to a definite maybe and I’m looking forward to trying the next Beta.

As for the mini map, I didn’t miss it tbh.  I usually only look at it when there’s UAV’s up anyway (which was constantly).  Plus I quite enjoyed the more hardcore nature of having no map.

It’s kinda funny when you think about it, the community moans that CoD’s are just rehashes and we want something new then people moan when it gets changed 😆

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Played a few matches and it's definitely a more faster and livelier game than it would suggest on paper. It's very polished visually and mechanically but I do have some concerns and frustrations.

The maps are simply too busy; far too many doors, windows and general assets. They don't feel quite as big and there's always some action to be had but the game rewards camping so defensive players and rushers could be in for a hard time. It will take a bit of time to adapt but I don't know if I'm going to enjoy playing a different way than I usually do. 

The colour palette as I've already said in this thread, is a bit drab and can make identifying enemies a bit tricky at times especially if you are transitioning into a darkened room. Graphically, the game looks fantastic but it's not very sharp and the post-processing effects are dreadful. The menu could be a lot of imaginative and the colour scheme for that is a pretty odd choice also.  

The minimap debacle worries me - IW have tested and tried everything but as we've seen with previous beta's, that doesn't mean we'll get what the majority wants when the pre-orders are in and the game is released. I'm grateful they've experimented and acknowledged concerns within the community but I just wish they'd do away with the outline and implement the standard minimap especially when the rest of the game is supposed to mimic that of the classic COD feel. The fashionable navigation bar and compass is a waste of fucking time also. 

The worst thing as always is the community. Idiotic teammates or scummy opponents. All the classic negative COD emotions can be found in this game along with old frustrations. At least with recent COD's, the maps were so small and gameplay was so limited, players had to get involved rather than play passively and dirty. Also without scorestreaks, players aren't encouraged to play as a team.

I do think this will be the best COD game this gen though but I'm still not sure if it's going to set the world alight long term or if it'll be dead before Christmas as usual these days. A lot will depend on Activision and how people tolerate the gameplay on offer. A lot has changed in gaming since the MW2 days and people don't really play 20 matches back to back like they used to in games and have really long sessions. 

Roll on next week at least. PC beta will be very interesting along with the crossplay. Hopefully some new content and they will have resolved the minimap situation and stick with whatever choice they make based on the data they receive. 

Downloaded last night just had a quick session and I have to say my initial thoughts in the first match were ok graphics ok gun sounds etc ok then you get this

And more and more and realise the map design and colour pallette etc is awful not bad truly terrible, whoever decided that these were how cod maps should be should be fired you get shot from everywhere with no time to react, I want fast paced not having to walk around like im in a swat team. No real mini map in core is also a dumb ass decision. How hard is it to make a cod game FFS it's not like there isn't enough things in the past to draw from. I was thinking I'd buy this to play with the guys off here but at the moment and unless I see more favourable reviews ( which I doubt as that's the game on release) then it's a hard no, I can't back this franchise.

Eight thoughts sums it up.

Edit ..I will add it's 2 gamemodes I wouldn't choose to play normally.

What I've played hasn't been fun.
Maps have too many hidey spots for people to camp in. And too many head glitch spots.
Players are out of sync. You can see somebody for a split second, die, and on their screen they've seen you for a few seconds and emptied a load of bullets into you.
Having the UAV unlocked first but not having Ghost unlocked makes it impossible to flank as the other team knows where you are at all times as there is quite literally a UAV up all the time.

I actually think the UAV spam is what the main issue is. People just wait for you to walk around a corner as they know where you are.

Via the FG App

fart.gif

Also may I just add; fuck that cave map. Whoever thought that would be an enjoyable experience is a complete dickhead. Compare it to Afghan from MW2 and the difference in quality and design logic is insane. I'd take a remake of Afghan any day of the week. 

4 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

I also forgot to mention the spawn system. It's fucking awful! You can quite literally spawn in front of somebody. It's just ridiculous.

Spawns are badly broken - I got spawn trapped in TDM whilst playing 5v3 it's that bad, and that was on the train map which is bloody huge! 

Best COD game in years, if you don't like this, it ain't getting any better any time soon [emoji41]

I'll be picking it up for sure, though the single player and Special Ops are the main attractions for me.

Multiplayer in the beta was enjoyable. They need to sort out the dark areas and I hope there are some great maps, as maps are everything for me in this game.

Didnt care for the NVG mode, is my only gripe.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Does anyone know (@J4MES OX4D I'm looking at you...) when playing with xbox players in your party, does cross play have to be enabled?

There's a few xbox players and few PS4 players from school and we all wanted to play together on Friday release day but we don't wanna play against keyboard and mouse players on PC. Maybe you can invite everyone into a party then turn off cross play so only play against PS4 players? [emoji848]

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Dan94 said:

Does anyone know (@J4MES OX4D I'm looking at you...) when playing with xbox players in your party, does cross play have to be enabled?

There's a few xbox players and few PS4 players from school and we all wanted to play together on Friday release day but we don't wanna play against keyboard and mouse players on PC. Maybe you can invite everyone into a party then turn off cross play so only play against PS4 players? emoji848.png

Crossplay is purely input-based so when you opt in, you and whoever is in your party will only face like-for-like inputs. If you're using a pad either on PS4 or Xbox, you will only face those players OR a PC player who is using a controller. If pad players don't mind facing KBM users, they can further opt in to unrestricted crossplay meaning they face anyone with any control scheme. Console KBM players have to play against PC users or fellow players with this scheme on console. 

Crossplay has to be enabled for cross-platform play too. If someone doesn't have this enabled, they will not be able to join a party on another platform.  I don't think you can sneak any crossplay changes whilst in a lobby or party as that can only be done in the menu so loopholes like this are covered.  Console pad users who may want to play with a PC user with a KBM may have to have unrestricted crossplay enabled to do this. A KBM user on PC can join a (pad) console party host but they will only be matched with unrestricted crossplay users. 

I'm probably gonna get it on PC which means I can use KBM against PC users and also join console users when I plug my controller in instead. When I do this, I will have restricted crossplay on meaning I will only be able to join Xbox Live, PSN and PC users who also have a bad.