BO7H B4RRELS - upgrade help

phil bottle

Some things get buried in PPRs. So @BO7H B4RRELS needs some assistance.

I know nothing about AMD, but I believe both @Diddums and @The3rdWalker and more may have some knowledge here.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon but not real sure on what to upgrade first.  And, I'm not real good w/ knowing compatibility issues.  Here's what I've got... Any advice?  

CPU:  AMD A10-5800 APU

RAM: 16 GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A75M-D3H

PSU: Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR-D3 

I was thinking about something along the lines of an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X CPU and maybe a XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition.

I'm sure there are other/better options.  Help me out homies!  

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks, Phil.  I appreciate you bumping this up so people see it.  I don't care what everyone says about you, I think you're alright.  [emoji6]  
Ha ha I think they're mostly right [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Oh boy! Upgrade tiemz!

First off, y u no ping me?

Secondly, y u no tag me?

Thirdly, y u no maek thred?

Need moar infos tbh. What resolution you gaming at? Will you be upgrading to 1440p if you don't have it already? How much u wanna spend? How long does this upgrade have to last? 

If this is going to last you a good few years, then don't go for less than a 2600x. @Plumbers Crack has the 2600, I'm sure he'll come tell you how it's performing, and he plays at 1440p, so if you game at 1080, you have quite a bit of headroom. Anything above that is budget dependent, with the 3700x being the ultimate, but that's just gravy baby, you don't need anything above a 2600x and probably won't for quite a while (for reference, my 5930k is a 2011 chip, same amount of threads, and still rips everything to pieces). 

For RAMs I wouldn't go for less than 8gb. Speed is kinda-sorta important but it suffers rather spectacularly from diminishing returns. The sweet spot is 3400mhz, but again this is gravy. RAM isn't one of those things that will last you a million years and 15 processors, there have been some significant improvements in the tech over the last few years and it shows no sign of stopping, so by the time you upgrade again we'll probably be on DDR5 or even DDR6. Maybe even HBM, who knows. I'd say go for 3000mhz minimum, anything above that is gravy again. 

As for the GPU, there's only one answer to this and that's the 5700 or 5700XT if your budget allows for it. Granted this is a pretty expensive chip but the leap from the cards below to this one is a massive chasm. The $150 extra or whatever you're paying is like going from a beetle to a lambo, AMD really shat all over Nvidia with the 5700. The 5700XT trades blows with the RTX 2070 for half the cash, and nobody makes anything worth playing using Nvidia's party piece software, so don't waste the money on that. If you go for the 5700/xt, make sure it's an aftermarket brand and not AMD's blower cooler as they suck. I'd recommend the Gigabyte, MSI or if you really wanna go nuts, the Powercolor Red Devil.

If the 5700 is too much, then the RX580, but I wouldn't go below that. Either way it'll be a MASSIVE step up from a GTX 770, you'll be blown away by the smoothness gained.

For a mother board, just make sure you get a B450 or X470 board, the new latest ones are also nice but lack many features at this point. MSI in particular has deals at the moment where you can bag a free mouse or whatever, so keep an eye out on those.

Oh and if you don't have an SSD yet, then now's the time to get one. It'll change your life, no jokes.

banlol.png

Tommy, I didn't understand half of what he said but I have no complaints so far with the rig the guys got me and he's absolutely right about the SSD...no more making coffee while Windows loads! 😊

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I'm only gaming on a 1080 right now. I'd like to upgrade eventually, but not a huge need for me right now.

So, considering my current specs... if I've only got the money to update the GPU or CPU, should I go with the RX580 or the Ryzen? Which would make a bigger difference?

I want to do both eventually, but I've only got about $200 USD to play with right now.

I'm happy with my MOBO, RAM, and I've got 2 SSDs already installed.

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

In that case for the GPU. A CPU upgrade will require a new motherboard and ram, whereas a GPU will slot right in. Going from a GTX770 to an RX580 will net you a 50% boost-ish, depending on game / resolution / whatever. The GTX 1660 will bag you another 7-10% on top of that for a few dorra more, in fact with Newegg's offer you can buy the card for $230 and claim a $20 mail-in rebate, plus it comes with a free game.

14-487-437-V07.jpg
WWW.NEWEGG.COM

Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Black GAMING, 06G-P4-1161-KR, 6GB GDDR5, HDB Fan with fast shipping and top-rated customer service.Once you know, you Newegg!

That's personally where I'd be looking if I were in your shoes, however something else you need to consider is the jump you'll be making and whether it's worth it. Saving another $200 will open up the 5700xt which will more than double your FPS and last you a lot, lot longer, but it's up to you. Who knows what another $200 will get you in another 5 years' time? 

banlol.png

9 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

Thanks, Dave. You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you. I'll update soon when I make a decision. You're the man!

He has his uses don't he? Nice one Dave 👍

Have you done a side by side build on upgrade versus new build/ salvage job? For all of us when we are asked what the budget is to go on the side of cheaper but realistically if you were to buy a new GPU or CPU what would you be comfortable spending. If for a slight more we upgrade multiple pieces then you might as well `buy a pair of $100 boots once than 5 pairs of $20 boots'

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD