The Matrix 4

J4MES OX4D

Mixed reviews so far with some saying it's decent enough and others a total dumpster fire. There doesn't appear to be any that says it's a worthy sequel and most fans of the original have been mostly critical. Disappointed but kinda expected really. I've watched quite a few snippets and it does seem painfully Hollywood with stuff we have seen a million times over the the last two decades plus the action doesn't have the same unique style or impact that the original had back in the day. The action genre is saturated to hell and special effects have been pushed to all limits so this was always gonna have a tough job of standing out and doing something spectacular but it all looks rather uninspired.

Two and a half hours long also apparently and large parts of the film focus on nostalgia but a lot of people say it just shows the huge disparity in quality between them. I'm expecting there will probably be another two films and then a TV series in the next 5 years before the brand is totally destroyed. Nothing will beat the original as it was way ahead of its time and had so many truly unique elements and an intriguing story.

So… it’s not good. Unfortunately. 

On a positive note though it’s not as bad as I had heard. It kind of just exists. I pretty much watched the whole thing with zero emotional attachment to any of the characters, which is weird, since I loved the original movies. 

The story is borderline moronic but maybe that’s me.  Idk. They re-used about as much footage from the original movies as I think they had new footage. 

The action scenes are decent enough and there are some decent acting performances, although I think Keanu may have been there for the paycheck instead of the performance. He seemed kinda blah through out. 

I just don’t know what to say… 😂 

I give it a 5/10 it’s not the worst movie I’ve seen by a long shot but I still don’t know what the fuck they were doing. I say if you want to waste about 2.5 hours of your life, watch it. Just keep your expectations on the low side. There’s plenty of nostalgia to be had but other than that it’s as shallow as a kiddie pool. 

*Go see Spider-Man instead 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

10 hours ago, Jason said:

although I think Keanu may have been there for the paycheck instead of the performance. He seemed kinda blah through out. 

He still looks like he's in Cyberpunk 2077 mode! Not sure if is true acting standard is finally becoming realised after all these years or if he just can't be arsed any more. He seems to be more one-dimensional than ever now and just playing himself rather than a character. 

Well that all sounds fucking disappointing but not unexpected. Was going to go see Spider-Man if it was a choice between the two. Sounds like another classic case of a Hollywood cash grab at the expense of the original. Thanks for the honest non-spoiler review.