Xbox 'Project Scarlett'

J4MES OX4D

Be mindful that these are all buzzwords for both the PS5 and this Xbox. The plus side is is slight under a high end PC. I would expect most games could run 1080p or 1440p at 60fps, and some 4K 60fps depending on the engine; you're not hitting 120 FPS though, full stop. The 8k will most likely be an "upscale" type nonsense just so they can say 8k every 11 seconds. 

8K and 120Hz will be thrown around a lot this coming generation, but all that means, I believe,  is HDMI 2.1 display output support. Grabbing a snippet from the Games Subreddit. 

While buzzwords like 8K and 120 Hz sound either mindblowing or misleading, depending on who you're asking, there are many good things to come out of both Project Scarlett and the next PlayStation supporting HDMI 2.1.

Just quickly on 8K, it's entirely possible that 8K technology will decrease in price as drastically as 4K has over the last 7 years. At the very least, Project Scarlett and the next PlayStation should be capable of doing things like outputting the system UI at 8K, or 8K media playback (assuming things like video codecs and/or DRM don't get in the way in future).

The big advantage of having HDMI 2.1, discarding the established buzzwords, is better support for more advanced secondary features at resolutions that are already popular like 1080p and 4K. The extra bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 will enable full HDR10 support for resolutions like 4K at higher refresh rates without needing to resort to chroma subsampling which can reduce the clarity of things like text. 4:2:2 chroma subsampling is required in order to do HDR10 at 4K/60 with HDMI 2.0b, but with HDMI 2.1, HDR10 is supported with full chroma intact all the way up to and including 144 Hz. At lower resolutions like 1080p and 1440p, HDR10 will have full chroma sampling at 240 Hz.

HDMI 2.1 also supports features such as Dynamic HDR (HDR grading that changes frame-by-frame), eARC (allows for full Dolby Atmos over an audio return channel link), DSC (display stream compression for higher resolution and refresh rate content), and full HDMI standard variable refresh rate support (FreeSync over HDMI is currently a bit of a hack). In my opinion, it's these advantages that are going to be more noticeable to the vast majority of users over the next few years.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, The3rdWalker said:

Be mindful that these are all buzzwords for both the PS5 and this Xbox. The plus side is is slight under a high end PC. I would expect most games could run 1080p or 1440p at 60fps, and some 4K 60fps depending on the engine; you're not hitting 120 FPS though, full stop. The 8k will most likely be an "upscale" type nonsense just so they can say 8k every 11 seconds.

People don't realise that this 8K they're banding around will cost them $$$$ but they may never get to see it in action plus it will slice their framerates. 

PS4 couldn't even handle 60fps at 1080p in 99% of its games and the Xbox One struggled to hit 1080p in many bog-standard AAA ones so this is a huge leap and total overkill to see who has the biggest penis in the market. Both MS and Sony should really remain grounded and focus on 4K 60fps next gen. I don't think there's any reason for MS to release another system when the 1X has been neglected and is still OTT for console gaming right now. 

8K native wont be until 2028 I bet. 

19 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

People don't realise that this 8K they're banding around will cost them $$$$ but they may never get to see it in action plus it will slice their framerates. 

PS4 couldn't even handle 60fps at 1080p in 99% of its games and the Xbox One struggled to hit 1080p in many bog-standard AAA ones so this is a huge leap and total overkill to see who has the biggest penis in the market. Both MS and Sony should really remain grounded and focus on 4K 60fps next gen. I don't think there's any reason for MS to release another system when the 1X has been neglected and is still OTT for console gaming right now. 

8K native wont be until 2028 I bet. 

8K, 120hz TVs are also insanely expensive. (5,000+)

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

It's going to be insanely expensive for a very long time, plus i'd rather have my frames if i'm honest. You can buy an 65" 8k Samsung tv for just under £3000 but what's the point, you wouldn't want to play games on something that big. If it's anything smaller then it completely defeats the point of having 8k....not that there is any point of having 8k.

Destiny was hard enough to play on the PS at times, never thought i'd see a console struggle so badly for frames. They should take baby steps and stop trying to do the long jump.

To me, I'm not interested in even higher end graphics. Tons of games now look visually incredible with the current consoles. Theres not alot of difference my eyes care for anymore.

I think this will be more the war of loading screens. Clearly from the leaked PS5 video on loading to how they discussed loading times on this new console coming.

I think they should both be focusing on more integrations and functionality to bring to the consumer. Things like LFG apps, easy video editing and social links. That's what most people want these days sonits all under one roof.

This whole 8k thing reminds me of 3dtv arguement years ago which I didn't care about as I've being seeing things in 3d all my life. I would honestly prefer they work on better download speeds and a network that doesn't fuck up when someone decides they want a milkshake at 3pm.

Via the FG App

To further Robs post on buzzwords, it annoys me no end when you see people post things like the current consoles can’t even do 1080p 60fps.  Of course they can but the devs decide to turn the graphic settings up to 11 so they only achieve 1080p 30fps.  The only difference is on PC you can choose the graphics quality but console it is locked.

So to that end I’d like to see some control over the graphics settings.  I don’t expect to have the fidelity of controls like PC but when the supposed I don’t think 4k is the majority yet and they’re talking of 8k.  I’d like to see even a simple graphics option of 1080p 120fps, 4k 60fps or 8k 30fps for example.  I believe that Forza did this on the Xbox One X but I’d like it to see it more widespread.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

To further Robs post on buzzwords, it annoys me no end when you see people post things like the current consoles can’t even do 1080p 60fps.  Of course they can but the devs decide to turn the graphic settings up to 11 so they only achieve 1080p 30fps

Most PS4 and Xbox games run at lower presets with additional elements completely disabled as it is. There's only a few games which can run maxed out and those are built on highly established old and/or optimised current engines.  The PS4 also uses a GPU from 2012 with just 2gb VRAM so it's not going to be able to cope with the latest titles running at 1080/60 anyway even with the presets at their lowest internal settings. Even 720/60 would be ambitious in some games. 

That’s my point, the latest titles may not be able to run at 1080p60 but that is because the devs made the games / game engines that way.  It is a choice the devs made to run at lower resolutions and or lower frames.  If the devs made a game / engine with the limitation of the consoles in mind and with the aim to run at 1080p60 then the ps4 and xbone are both capable.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png