Spam, bots etc - big thanks

There's been a bit of an influx recently and just a quick thanks to those of you who've been reporting.

It is appreciated and allows us the the chance to deal with them swiftly.

Plus, I love deleting shit 😀

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

44 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Is it possible to disable guest posting? That seems to be the current issue. 

We can as its linked to the new feature Invision made available with our site. However, the concept is to help people interact and then register afterwards so was trying to let it slide for a while as the main issue may be more about how we stop bots via Captcha and other security settings.

It is getting to that point though that the concept feels flawed in what they were trying to do.

We can also likely set some rules up to hide stuff like this until we see a registration conversion.

Leave it with us and I'll report back.

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

Why do these spam posts only ever target selected threads?

It's a systematic routine a bot has found a way through. They achieved success so the bot answer is spam it until Kingdom come.

For the time being I've disabled posting before registering. I'll send some feedback to the forum board provider.

They chase keywords. Find keywords, post spam. It's to try and stay relevant.

The thing is with bots is that when they're originally coded they can actually fly under the radar very well, in fact most do. They then get butchered by others who haven't a clue what they're doing and before you know it you have bots asking advertising tampons in a Mortal Kombat Fatality thread. 

banlol.png