Information about Dauntless

• Developer(s)    Phoenix Labs
  • Publisher(s)    Epic Games
  • Engine    Unreal Engine 4
  • Platform(s)    Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
  • Release    May 21, 2019
  • Genre(s)    Action role-playing
  • Mode(s)    Single-player, multi-player

Dauntless takes place in a fantasy setting, where a cataclysmic event has torn the world apart, releasing monstrous creatures known as Behemoths that prey on the surviving humans. Players take on the role of Slayers to take down Behemoths, collecting loot that they use to craft and upgrade weapons and equipment as to take down larger and more powerful Behemoths. While hunting, the game plays as a third-person action game; the player uses a combo system to attack the creature, while monitoring their own health and stamina gauge. Such hunts can take upwards of twenty minutes of in-game time to complete. The game can be played both as single-player or cooperatively with up to four people.

Dauntless vs. Monster Hunter: World- 

Dauntless is a less hardcore, more friendly monster hunting game. The combat is less rewarding, but still fun to execute. The monsters feel less alive, but still interesting to fight.

The art style of Dauntless really sells a more interesting fantasy world than Monster Hunter: World’s realistic dinosaur look. Dauntless is vibrant, cheerful, and relaxing to play in the opening hours. It’s the perfect starting point for a player interested in monster hunting or for someone who just wants to hang out with friends. Dauntless also has something new to play and check out every few weeks.

But Monster Hunter: World is still the king monster hunter when it comes to skill and game play. It can be very frustrating, but taking down a Tempered Deviljho is more satisfying than anything we’ve felt in Dauntless so far. The skill it takes to defeat that beast is something players only gain after dozens of hours in game and a lot of investment. That said, Dauntless just came out, and we haven’t had a chance to hit the late game yet.

The choice between the two comes down to accessible and fun for Dauntless, or difficult and more satisfying for Monster Hunter: World.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

So I own both MHW and now decided to give Dauntless a try. While MHW is a complete experience Dauntless is a surprisingly fun time and with way less setup. (Do you only have 30 minutes to play? Well you can get 3-4 hunts in) Best of all, ITS CROSS PLATFORM! That means us PC members can play with any console members at anytime, use in game voice (or Discord) and kill some things. I'm not typically very good at monster fighting, souls game-esque where you learn attack patterns and so on but I have to say I am digging this after one night. 

We should all pick this up. (It's free)

I agree, definitely worth picking up for free. How many in a group?

I've seen some of the American FG family play it (@Horrible_Hector @igotmollywhopped @Capn_Underpants @SensaiNemesis)

If its as quick as you say Rob, I don't mind playing the odd 30-60 minutes when we're just trying to fill time between games, etc. Usually we're missing a game that fills the void/waiting time.

58 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I agree, definitely worth picking up for free. How many in a group?

I've seen some of the American FG family play it (@Horrible_Hector @igotmollywhopped @Capn_Underpants @SensaiNemesis)

If its as quick as you say Rob, I don't mind playing the odd 30-60 minutes when we're just trying to fill time between games, etc. Usually we're missing a game that fills the void/waiting time.

• Hunting Parties of 4. 
  • I believe a few of the Americans play it. There's also a small group of us on PC that play it. 
  • Here is a sample fight from yesterday, I did it while waiting for the grill to heat up:

On 5/31/2019 at 4:04 PM, The3rdWalker said:

• Hunting Parties of 4. 
  • I believe a few of the Americans play it. There's also a small group of us on PC that play it. 
  • Here is a sample fight from yesterday, I did it while waiting for the grill to heat up:

I really like the look of this.

Is there quest style missions you can pick up and work towards/help others out?

I started this tonight, pretty decent game overall.  Everything is pretty much scaled down versions of MH and overall for a freebie, it does a very good job.  I really like the art style, the fighting is much easier, it's much quicker to finish a fight, the home hub is larger and actually feels alive and best of all, it is cross platform, so always plenty to play with.

I love MHW and I can't wait for the upcoming expansion though, I'll most likely put some time on Dauntless as it's a fun little game.

13 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

I started this tonight, pretty decent game overall.  Everything is pretty much scaled down versions of MH and overall for a freebie, it does a very good job.  I really like the art style, the fighting is much easier, it's much quicker to finish a fight, the home hub is larger and actually feels alive and best of all, it is cross platform, so always plenty to play with.

I love MHW and I can't wait for the upcoming expansion though, I'll most likely put some time on Dauntless as it's a fun little game.

I think it has a quicker way of getting people together because 1) it's free and 2) it's a quick enough to get a hunt going and dip straight out after a short period.

We should play these games more for an hour or so ahead of playing what main game you were going to play that evening.

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think it has a quicker way of getting people together because 1) it's free and 2) it's a quick enough to get a hunt going and dip straight out after a short period.

We should play these games more for an hour or so ahead of playing what main game you were going to play that evening.

Also I can play with you on PC!

17 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

I reached rank 10 tonight 👍.  I'm really enjoying this game at the moment, not playing this half as much as I have MHW but it's great for a few fights before bed.

Hows it been grouping up with randoms? Or have you set it to play on your own? Just wondered if there was any squad directions you can give or its just chat.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hows it been grouping up with randoms? Or have you set it to play on your own? Just wondered if there was any squad directions you can give or its just chat.

In these early stages, I haven't really come across anyone who uses the text chat.  You pretty much run around the map until you come across the monsters, then just shoot a flare in the air to inform the others of your location.  It's pretty straight forward this game.

There is supposed to be voice chat but I've never heard anyone try talking.

2 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

In these early stages, I haven't really come across anyone who uses the text chat.  You pretty much run around the map until you come across the monsters, then just shoot a flare in the air to inform the others of your location.  It's pretty straight forward this game.

There is supposed to be voice chat but I've never heard anyone try talking.

There's no point in using text chat. Send out your flare, enjoy the fight. Perhaps chat in lobbies if you need a specific part but there's no reason to chat. 

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Someone called us noobs in text chat and I cried for several hours.