Danny Baker Sacked From BBC

For this..

13280002-7009283-image-m-47_155738554343

Bit of a silly joke from the risky broadcaster especially in this delicate climate. However, the BBC have hosted plenty of comedians who have made some pretty horrendous racist jokes over the years. Overreaction or the right thing to do? 

I obviously don't think Danny is a racist but really, he's an intelligent man and should know better. There's something about blokes from his generation who lack empathy and then like to play the victim. Silly man, I hear he was trying to blame his cancer too...not cool.

BBC is a platform for all sorts of dodgy right wing nuts these days so maybe a bit hypocritical of them to sack him like that. But then, it's the royal family involved too and you know how that goes. Naming your kid 'Archie' like he's some lovable working class rogue says it all.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's the right reaction but they do need to do the same for anyone else who makes the same mistake. Even if he's not racist he has to look at what he's posting and realise that people could take it the wrong way. There's enough racist shit in the world without people posting stuff that could be taken as being racist without meaning it, it'll only draw the racist idiots out the woodwork.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I obviously don't think Danny is a racist but really, he's an intelligent man and should know better

Didn't hear about this at all. Now reading what you guys have put i'm kinda with Phil's point above. If you are in anyway shape or form in the social media spotlight you can't really make any jokes that insinuate racism. Can't even go anywhere near it. I wouldn't go as far as you though Rich, I don't want to see a world where we go too PC we can't do or say anything in fear of getting sacked. A lot of people on the dole which means more of people we have to pay for through our taxes.

From what I gather, the dressed up chimp is a long running gag on his shows, so a bit unfortunate there I think, it seems most ppl know the score. Still, in the meantimeI hear Farage was going a bit rabid on Question Time tonight, Yaxley Lennon has been usung nazi era language like 'Menshen' in his speeches and Morrissey has joined Britain First. What a world [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think Lee hit the nail on the head. I also heard he posted it then deleted the the tweet and apologised. I just read Dara Obrians (however it's spelt) take on it and it's more common sense. There's alot of stuff these days either taken out of context or called racist etc that clearly isn't or isn't intended... especially on twitter

10 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Didn't hear about this at all. Now reading what you guys have put i'm kinda with Phil's point above. If you are in anyway shape or form in the social media spotlight you can't really make any jokes that insinuate racism. Can't even go anywhere near it. I wouldn't go as far as you though Rich, I don't want to see a world where we go too PC we can't do or say anything in fear of getting sacked. A lot of people on the dole which means more of people we have to pay for through our taxes.

Sorry i've just read it back and that's not what i meant at all, i meant others who are more clearly racist, sexist etc should be sacked. I agree that his sacking could be seen as harsh but like you say anyone who has a voice in this world should pay more attention to what they are posting./saying. When Kayne said slavery sounded like a choice, that was one of the most offense things i've ever heard and i didn't think i got offended by things. I definitely don't want the world to be more PC, hell i laugh at almost anything. I just think with the racist talk that's been going around about Meghan, you have to think about what you post. Unfortunately the line is pretty blurred with things you can post/say now because there always someone who will be offended. An issue that you could run into is people posting things that could be taken as both ways then saying oh that's not what i meant by it, when that was exactly what they meant (i'm not for one second saying he's racist) 

Another issue is that common sense is no longer common, i don't think someone should be punished for not having common sense but they have to at least try. 

The more i type the more i go round in circles, can't people just not be racist then someone would be able to post a picture like this and it not be taken offensively. He's been undone by the fact that people are racist and people get offended by things......also it's the Royal Family. Part of me feels for him and another part thinks, you're an idiot.

I watched BBC breakfast discuss Freddie Starr this morning and the fact he used to dress up as hitler in wellies, suggesting there was something wrong with his type of humour. Thats the PC i hate. Thoughtless and reactionary. He was laughing at Nazis you smug pricks.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I watched BBC breakfast discuss Freddie Starr this morning and the fact he used to dress up as hitler in wellies, suggesting there was something wrong with his type of humour. Thats the PC i hate. Thoughtless and reactionary. He was laughing at Nazis you smug pricks.

You sound surprised, I mean people not getting the joke, it hardly ever happens these days 😂

In the video I posted in the chat he dresses as a blind black man as well 😉

It's why I watch GMB on ITV. Yeah, Piers can be a nob sometimes :D but at least they are more light hearted and have hilariously stupid things on there to make you laugh rather more serious dulcet tones of the current BBC angle.

BBC were seemingly paying a glowing tribute to Starr today but it was only a few years ago they were damning him to the devil with Operation Yewtree! BBC are now trying to fall in-line with today's moral standards against the very comedy they used to create and happily televise. They still host Jimmy Carr after all the jokes he's made against Diana, 9/11 and other tragedies/controversies and Family Guy was riddled with some dark humour and they had that going for well over a decade. It was very daft from Baker but I hope and am sure he will find another job quite easily in the broadcasting domain and shouldn't be bound to hell forever for his joke. 

You sound surprised, I mean people not getting the joke, it hardly ever happens these days [emoji23]
In the video I posted in the chat he dresses as a blind black man as well [emoji6]
Mate, nothing surprises me about human beings, just take a look at our behaviour throughout history. We have the same brains we had when we were living in caves.

With humour, I prefer to punch up than punch down, if you know what I mean. And if I think someone's humour is promoting inaccurate stereotypes I stop calling it humour, i call it what it is, nastiness.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

BBC were seemingly paying a glowing tribute to Starr today but it was only a few years ago they were damning him to the devil with Operation Yewtree! BBC are now trying to fall in-line with today's moral standards against the very comedy they used to create and happily televise. They still host Jimmy Carr after all the jokes he's made against Diana, 9/11 and other tragedies/controversies and Family Guy was riddled with some dark humour and they had that going for well over a decade. It was very daft from Baker but I hope and am sure he will find another job quite easily in the broadcasting domain and shouldn't be bound to hell forever for his joke. 
Fun fact, I was recovering from bowel cancer when Diana died, my sister told me about it, expecting the news to cheer me up, it did.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg