Your favourite TV

Greboth

I was scrolling through some of my favourite series on IMDB and looking at the recommended series looking for something new and it got me thinking – what is everyone’s favourite series?  We can share our favourite shows and maybe find something new to watch too

For me, I’ll skip Game of Thrones although it is up there.

Band of Brothers – A mini series following Easy company during World War 2 and a very well made, well written and directed series.  I’m not one for being too bothered about war films and it is easy to be dissociative while watching the actual episodes – it’s just Hollywood, special effects, make up etc. but at the end of each episode, they have the real soldiers talking about the episode and it brings it back to it isn’t Hollywood and it really happened and it hits you hard in the feels.

Billions – It focuses on 2 main characters Bobby a hedge fund manager who uses insider trading to increase profits and Chuck a District Attorney trying to prosecute him.  It follows their scheming, dealing, double crossing, planning as they each try to out do each other to come out ahead.  Plus Wags is brilliant so always worth watching for him.

West Wing and Newsroom….basically anything by Aaron Sorkin – West Wing follow the west wing of the whitehouse and the presidency while Newsroom follows a news anchor and the broadcaster producing actual news.  Both are in Sorkin’s style of fast paced, dialogue heavy, witty writing with his usual camera style too.  Both extremely well written shows and ones I’ve watched through multiple times.

The Marvellous Mrs Maisel – A comedy sitcom following Mrs Maisel as she aspires to be a female comedian in 1950’s New York.  It didn’t appeal to me by the description but it got highly recommended to me so gave it a watch…..and ended up watching both seasons in less than a week.  Currently there is only 2 seasons but there are more on the way.

4400 – One of my favourite sci-fi shows out there.  Over the last 50 years or so, 4400 people disappear though only one at a time here and there.  All 4,400 get returned at the same time and having not aged a day from when they disappeared.  The series follows the investigation in to what happened to them and their re-integration in to society.

The Expanse – Set in the nearish future where we have colonised Mars, the asteroid belt and a moon of Jupiter.  Mars want independence from Earth and events unfold the lead to a potential war but there is more going on than initially meets the eye.  The show follows the crew of a small ship as they try to uncover the conspiracy and stop a war happening.

Counterpart – During the Cold War a crossing is discovered between this world and an alternate reality and series follows the UN organisation tasked to investigate and monitor the crossing as well as deal with people from the other side.  A little bit of sci-fi and a little spy thriller and well worth a watch.

Better off Ted – A short lived comedy about a project manager in an office.  Anyone who does or has worked in an office will appreciate it most but still an enjoyable series.  If nothing else, it’s worth watching the Veridian dynamic commercials from the show.

Banshee – Fucking and fighting.  There really isn’t anything else to say, a criminal assumes the identify of a small town sheriff and spends most of the time fighting or fucking.  This is on my list not as well written or directed series but it is damn entertaining.

Star Wars Rebels – My favourite of the Star Wars animated series.  It starts off not that great and a little kid friendly but by the end it gets darker and you really find yourself attached to the characters and their path in the Star Warsuniverse.  Plus it puts some nice easter eggs in the new SW films (mostly Rogue One)

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis – These get an honorary mention, as I grew up watching them.  They aren’t amazing series but I still love them and can re-watch them repeatedly.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Nice to see someone else found banshee (possibly the most realistic show I've seen) that and band of brothers 2 of my all time favourites Bob being my number one and the inspiration for our European tour last year.

Bates motel, Gotham being 2 I've recently binge watched.

I'll also throw billions in, tbh these days TV really is better made than cinema imo. Just got to hope it doesn't get too ruined by the politics and inclusivity.

• Band of Brothers
  • Park and Recreation
  • South Park
  • Archer
  • Brooklyn 99
  • IT Crowd
  • The Office (UK and US)
  • House
  • Only Fools and Horses
  • Men Behaving Badly (Recently watch this again after years, bloody funny still)
  • Faulty Towers
  • Dexter

I had forgotten about Brooklyn 99, I do enjoy a bit of nine nine.  Though a but behind so need to catch up.

Is Parks and Rec that good? It got recommended to me ages ago so watched the first couple episodes.  It didn’t grab me so never watched any more but with the amount it gets recommended I’m wondering if I missed something.

In no particular order

Faulty Towers

Young Ones

Comic Strip Presents

Bottom

Blackadder 2, 3 & 4

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Red Dwarf

Cheers

Star Trek (all of em)

Buck Rogers

Battlestar Galactica (OG and new version)

The Prisoner

Starsky and Hutch

Rising Damp

Brass Eye

2nd Alan Partridge Season

Kung Fu

Hill St Blues

Auf Wiedesen, pet

Fast Show

I just realised I could probably go on forever with this list, that's mostly stuff from when I was a kid...[emoji39]

I'll do modern tv in another post

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I don’t watch a lot of tv so my list is rather short 

• Game of Thrones

• Agents of Shield (however I’m way behind)

• Shameless 

• Dexter

• Sons of Anarchy

• Two and a Half Men 

• The Ozark 

• Lost
  • Band of Brothers
  • Super Natural
  • Ghost Whisperer
  • Afterlife
  • Early Edition
  • Some Mothers Still 'Ave 'Em
  • Porridge
  • Game of Thrones
  • Gavin & Stacey
  • Open All Hours
  • The 100
  • The Royal Family
  • Spaced

None are in order but only ones I can think of right now.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, Greboth said:

I had forgotten about Brooklyn 99, I do enjoy a bit of nine nine.  Though a but behind so need to catch up.

Is Parks and Rec that good? It got recommended to me ages ago so watched the first couple episodes.  It didn’t grab me so never watched any more but with the amount it gets recommended I’m wondering if I missed something.

Parks and Rec is brilliant, they sort out a few of the characters after the first season. The second season onwards is brilliant, but as the first season is only 6 or so episodes, it's not too bad.

18 hours ago, phil bottle said:

In no particular order

Faulty Towers

Young Ones

Comic Strip Presents

Bottom

Blackadder 2, 3 & 4

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Red Dwarf

Cheers

Star Trek (all of em)

Buck Rogers

Battlestar Galactica (OG and new version)

The Prisoner

Starsky and Hutch

Rising Damp

Brass Eye

2nd Alan Partridge Season

Kung Fu

Hill St Blues

Auf Wiedesen, pet

Fast Show

I just realised I could probably go on forever with this list, that's mostly stuff from when I was a kid...emoji39.png

I'll do modern tv in another post

Omg i missed out so many after looking at this list. I've just finished watching Blackadder through again. 

Brass Eye is fucking epic as well and Bottom and Young One's! Anything Ric Mayall ❤️ 

---------------------------------------------------

Just thought of some more...

League of Gentlemen

Inside Number 9

4 hours ago, tronic44 said:

Parks and Rec is brilliant, they sort out a few of the characters after the first season. The second season onwards is brilliant, but as the first season is only 6 or so episodes, it's not too bad.

Hmmmm I’m have to give it another go and get through the first season then :) 

I’ve been meaning to properly watch Blackadder too as I got in dvd about 5 or 6 years ago so doing well :lol: 

3 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

The Sweeney

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.....anyone remember what it stands for without using Google?

Hogan’s Heroes 

M*A*S*H

Kung Fu

Morecombe and Wise

Adding to Morecombe and Wise, I’ll add the two Ronnies.  There aren’t many comedians I’d rank up there with those 4.

As for UNCLE - United Nations Clandestine Law Enforcement?

Some great lists above. I'll have to think about others but I can't believe I haven't seen Firefly up there. Granted it was only 1 season but a bloody good one at that and got a great film, Serenity, to follow it up too.

Some great lists above. I'll have to think about others but I can't believe I haven't seen Firefly up there. Granted it was only 1 season but a bloody good one at that and got a great film, Serenity, to follow it up too.
I bought the Firefly series in an Amazon sale as I heard it was decent but not watched it yet. Good is it?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 5/7/2019 at 5:45 PM, tronic44 said:

I've never seen Firefly but have only heard good things.

I did watch Serenity but didn't really get it as i hadn't seen the TV show.

Firefly suffers because it’s over hyped.  I love and think it is one if the best sci fi shows.  However I first watched it years ago with no expectation, without the cult following it now has.  So I think some people go in with such high expectations which it then can’t meet.  Still it is good and, if you like your comedy/sci-fi, worth watching.

14 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I've still not seen the first couple of series (and I plan to binge the whole lot at some point) but 'the Sopranos' is excellent.

I couldn’t get in with it, I don’t really know why.  By my general tastes in shows, I should love it but I watched about half the first season and it never grabbed me.  I never got that I want to watch the next episode and realised I was more watching it because other people had said it was good rather than I was enjoying it.

18 minutes ago, Greboth said:

I couldn’t get in with it, I don’t really know why.  By my general tastes in shows, I should love it but I watched about half the first season and it never grabbed me.  I never got that I want to watch the next episode and realised I was more watching it because other people had said it was good rather than I was enjoying it.

It's a slow starter but it goes from strength to strength. The later series were incredible TV.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 5/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, phil bottle said:

I bought the Firefly series in an Amazon sale as I heard it was decent but not watched it yet. Good is it?

On 5/7/2019 at 5:45 PM, tronic44 said:

I've never seen Firefly but have only heard good things.

I did watch Serenity but didn't really get it as i hadn't seen the TV show.

Like @Greboth said, its truly a great series but it can be too overhyped. I mean, it should have NEVER been cancelled after one series. Although the first 1 or 2 episodes could feel a little slow, the world they live and Nathan Fillion alone is worth watching it for. Rich - You really need to watch Firefly and it makes you appreciate Serenity even more. I enjoyed it on its own but can understand why some wouldn't get it if they watched it alone. You won't be disappointed.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Babestation😎

Whats the second series like?