Xbox One SAD Edition

J4MES OX4D

If I wanted to buy digital only I'd own a PC, hang on...

It's pretty ignorant if you ask me that whilst the current (new) generation of gamers mostly play on Digital only, the nostalgia and market for physically owned games is still huge. And that market would be a lucrative one if they stayed in it.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

21 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

If I wanted to buy digital only I'd own a PC, hang on...

It's pretty ignorant if you ask me that whilst the current (new) generation of gamers mostly play on Digital only, the nostalgia and market for physically owned games is still huge. And that market would be a lucrative one if they stayed in it.

They're not discontinuing physical media though are they? From a global perspective that'd pretty much be RIP Xbox. Most of Africa, Asia, India, many don't have internet access but do have consoles, so I can't see them writing that market off any time soon. 

banlol.png

3 minutes ago, Diddums said:

They're not discontinuing physical media though are they? From a global perspective that'd pretty much be RIP Xbox. Most of Africa, Asia, India, many don't have internet access but do have consoles, so I can't see them writing that market off any time soon. 

You're totally right, it's not. However, this move is on the back of a 30k strong focus group that said people will 'reluctantly' have to move away from physical purchases.

This version of the current gen is an early view of where Microsoft want to go so I'm now not going to surprised when the next gen xbox comes out in 2020/21 with no CD tray whatsoever.

(Or what will happen is they'll also make a CD tray version available at an extra cost at the same time - I hope fucking not).

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

9 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

You're totally right, it's not. However, this move is on the back of a 30k strong focus group that said people will 'reluctantly' have to move away from physical purchases.

This version of the current gen is an early view of where Microsoft want to go so I'm now not going to surprised when the next gen xbox comes out in 2020/21 with no CD tray whatsoever.

(Or what will happen is they'll also make a CD tray version available at an extra cost at the same time - I hope fucking not).

They'll never get rid of the CD tray, you've got nothing to worry about. The price will remain the same too, except you'll get a cheaper "digital only" console, like the slims and Pros. There's too much revenue in physical content to get rid of it, think of other countries, not just the UK. Then there are those who like collecting, trading in, lending games, swapping, etc. It'd be a suicide for Xbox if they got rid of the physical element. Never gonna happen.

That said, I have no idea why I'm even defending the most inferior console. Throw the fucking thing in the bin and your worries with it. 

banlol.png

I remember the Xbox One when it was first launching - online only and no pre-owned games destroyed them before it even went on sale. Even a u-turn at the 11th hour wasn't enough to cover up their bad decisions and direction and they've paid for it ever since. There will be a monumental backlash if they make any future consoles solely digital-only as physical media is still essential to console gaming and will be for a long time going forward.

Also gaming retailers which still probably make up about 60%+ of console sales will go under if they have no games to sell on top, so the reduction of supply chains flogging units and peripherals will be shot to pieces and could massively impact the likes of Microsoft, Sony and even Nintendo from the loss at the retail sector. 

New game sales will also suffer immensely because people ain't gonna be paying £49.99-$60 for each new game that they could've got for £44.99-$50 physical and could've traded in upon completion. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft do offer this as an alternative from the get-go for future consoles and they'll probably even have their own streaming system soon too. 

You can't beat traditional console gaming and hopefully that will forever remain.