PS5 - Info and Details

Plumbers Crack

PlayStation 5: Sony reveals first details of next-gen console

Sony has finally released the first details about its next PlayStation console.

Gamers have been waiting patiently to find out any information about PS4's replacement, but until now details have been kept firmly under wraps.

Now Sony's system architect Mark Cerny has released information about what the "next-gen console" will look like.

In an interview with Wired, he reveals it will be much faster, more powerful and include improved audio.

But don't expect to be able to buy one in 2019 - you'll have to wait until at least next year to see it on shelves.

Below, we outline all the new details we know about the PlayStation 5 so far, as well as the questions we still want answered.

Much faster loading times

Good news for avid PlayStation users - the new console will include a high-speed solid-state hard drive (SSD).

While that won't mean much to a lot of people, the point of the SSD is to dramatically reduce things like loading times - which will make everyone's gaming experience a bit better.

For example, when playing Spider-Man on a PS4 it can take 15 seconds to fast travel between different locations. Cerny gave Wired a demonstration that showed the same task taking just 0.8 seconds on the new machine.

"No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this," he says about the PlayStation 4.

"That's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive."

Improved audio

Another big focus for the next-gen console is 3D audio.

Cerny tells Wired that as a gamer himself he was left frustrated that there wasn't much change in audio between PS3 and PS4.

"With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be," he says.

PS5 (which isn't the official name of the new console) will see gamers being immersed in audio from above, behind and from the side, according to Cerny, and will be experienced best through headphones.

Enhanced visual experience

The next PlayStation supports ray-tracing graphics - the first time a game console has ever managed graphics like it, Cerny says.

They're usually used in Hollywood special effects, and occasionally in high-end processors.

It means users of the next-gen PlayStation will receive much better, and more realistic, visuals.

It's also worth noting that while the PS5 will have all of these improvements, you don't need to worry about compatibility with PS4 games.

The new console will still take physical discs, and gamers can still play PlayStation 4 games on the new console.

What we don't know

All the details that have been released so far are about hardware.

We still don't know:

When it will be released - although Cerny says it won't be this year, so don't expect to get your hands on one in 2019.

How much it will cost.

The name of the console. It's already being dubbed the PlayStation 5, but Cerny hasn't confirmed its official name - yet.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47953213

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Development kits have been accelerated so Game developers can get their head into the new equipment so I'm hopeful this will have a bunch of releases. The kicker which will make a ton of people happy is backward compatibility with PS4. I think they had no option there but to make it happen.

I want to know how games will work in terms of patches and updates. If its too much like PCs (well, we're pretty much there now) then it'll be one of the first times I don't look to buy the current gen console available. Not gonna lie though, my heart has always wanted the xbox to bring back their amazing xbox live and exclusive game list they had on the original xbox and the 360.

Surprised they are going for 8k graphics when they could barely achieve native 1080p on the PS4 for many games. Seems like they are going for absolute overkill to get a foot ahead of the Xbox One X. It's great it will have backwards compatibility along with a disc drive but everything else sounds a bit much and that usually adds to the price.  The Pro didn't utlise its extra power very well and we don't want another generation of games appearing visually under par running at a wobbly sub 30fps all the time. 

The biggest problem with the PS4 for me was the noise for me. That would have to be addressed significantly on the next console especially as it didn't really improve on the Pro or later built models. I'd be happy for the PS5 to simply have 4K, 60fps and games running at an ultra preset but that probably wont wash for marketing these days as it wouldn't be a significant step ahead of the XB1X especially to see out the entire next gen until 2025+.

PS4 was underwhelming, Xbone was an insult. My expectations are adjusted accordingly.

I don't expect Sony to deliver 8K at all, unless they go down the Microsoft route and release multiple versions of the console.

Either way, meh...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Like most of the past decade of gaming, it'll likely come down to who gets the best exclusives.

Sony will definitely deliver again in this department but I wont make the same mistake in buying into the new gen from the start and will probably wait 3 years before even considering a purchase. The PS4 didn't really get going until 2016 and the first couple of years were a real struggle. I'll probably pick up a PS5 Pro😎

• GazzaGarratt changed the title to PS5 - Info and Details

Here's the sneak preview in the loading times that the PS5 has in comparison to the PS4 loading times:

They are also going to be using AMD's Radeon Navi with New RDNA Design. 1.25x improvement per clock and 1.5x improvement per watt.