Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

A fire has broken out at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, with firefighters attempting to contain the blaze which police said began accidentally and could be linked to renovation work at the site.

The spire of the medieval cathedral collapsed after flames burst through the roof, and smoke can be seen billowing from the famous monument as a huge plume of smoke rests above the 850-year old Gothic building.

On the bright side a lot of the art and relics were moved out prior to the renovation. Crowd funding and a few millionaires have donations at 301m euros right now. It's just amazing that the structure didn't burn down completely. Think of everything that church has survived through.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

3 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

On the bright side a lot of the art and relics were moved out prior to the renovation. Crowd funding and a few millionaires have donations at 301m euros right now. It's just amazing that the structure didn't burn down completely. Think of everything that church has survived through.

Yes, that's testament to the stonemason's abilities that the walls didn't come down...however the spire itself was not that old, which came as a surprise to me:-

"Construction of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris (Our Lady of Paris) began in the 12th century, using stonework for the walls and vault and wood for the main roofs and its spire. The flèche (spire) was rebuilt in the 19th century, in oak covered with lead; the original had been removed in 1786"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_fire

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Someone was in telly the other day arguing that 3 rich French families have given a ton of money to restore it and she felt they should've done it anonymously.

I really don't see the problem in the fact they get a little publicity. Has anyone else got that money to give? I still dont know who they are so if it was such a big deal then wouldn't we here about them more? Another little example of the current PC culture imo.