DriveClub Online Servers to shut down 31 March 2020

Gutted. Great game and loads of fun, especially what we've had so far here at FG. Full email from Playstation below:

Online servers for DRIVECLUB™, DRIVECLUB™ VR and DRIVECLUB™ Bikes will shut down on 31 March 2020 (at 23:59 BST). All online features (including online multiplayer modes) will cease on that date. You will still be able to play and enjoy these games in single player offline modes. However, the games have significant amounts of online gameplay so from 31 March 2020, functionality will be affected in the following ways:

You will not be able to:

• Use your season pass online
• Represent your Club online in multiplayer events or tours
• Play online multiplayer and compete in challenges
• Create your own events
• Compete in leader boards, or share stats and player progress

You will be able to:

• Use your season pass on all single player and offline modes
• Continue to play all game (DRIVECLUB™, DRIVECLUB™ VR and DRIVECLUB™ Bikes) and DLC single player functionality in offline mode
• Earn trophies in single player/offline mode

PlayStation will cease selling DRIVECLUB™, DRIVECLUB™ VR, DRIVECLUB™ Bikes and all DLC and season passes related to those games from 31 August 2019 (at 23:59 BST).

20 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

I hope they decide to discount everything in the store then.  I still wouldn't mind picking up the last few pieces of DLC I haven't purchased.

That's a great shout. They have nothing to lose if they do that.

19 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

It really annoys me that you can lose functionality of a game.  

Totally agree. It's the one internal concern I have about many games that I hope they can figure out a persistent way of making online worlds available in an offline mode at the very least.

I think we should have a few revival nights before it has a slow and painful death. 😪

21 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Trying to play this game after 6 months of Gran Turismo is quite an experience. Driveclub is a good looking game but the handling is atrocious.

Gran Turismo is still only  14.99 on PSN.

DriveClub for me was just the perfect mix of Sim and Arcade. When you go too Sim and realistic, it's kinda difficult for some people to have just a random lolz night on it as its gets a little more 'serious' - that's why I see a few people just turn off. Id play all of them regardless but you can see why GTA has always been the best in the past for a night of racing fun for FG.

1 minute ago, GazzaGarratt said:

DriveClub for me was just the perfect mix of Sim and Arcade. When you go too Sim and realistic, it's kinda difficult for some people to have just a random lolz night on it as its gets a little more 'serious' - that's why I see a few people just turn off. Id play all of them regardless but you can see why GTA has always been the best in the past for a night of racing fun for FG.

Driveclub is a shambles, it deserves to go. I'm evidently not in the minority with this opinion otherwise this topic wouldn't exist. It suffers terribly from an identity crisis. Is it an arcade game? Is it a sim? It doesn't know what it wants to be. The driving is a bit sim-ish, the weather is pure sim and a benchmark for game weather systems as far as I'm concerned but the menus, unlock system, all arcade. Except there's no ability to upgrade your cars, which is another nail. The racing, whilst tight, is all over the place. Gran Turismo does racing right, it's still fun, has a million times more content, upgrades, etc. For arcade, GTA is pretty much top of the pile. It's a buggy, stuttery, shit graphics mess with physics that look like they were pulled from the 90s but it just works. It's not trying to be serious, it just takes the tools it has and fucks around, to a reasonable degree of success I'd say.

Driveclub has always been a lost game, it was meant to be some kind of open world MMO type thing where you can visit each others' garages, roam the free world and challenge others, but it just didn't work, like any MMO type racing game hasn't (Test Drive anyone?). They cut all that and turned it in to a racing only game and whilst it's enough to keep some entertained, it was only a small element of a massive game. They removed the rest and suddenly the racing only aspect felt more like a PS2 game than a PS4 game. Glaring holes in the content, missing TONS of stuff to do, it's just... not all there. 

banlol.png

On 4/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, Diddums said:

Driveclub is a shambles, it deserves to go. I'm evidently not in the minority with this opinion otherwise this topic wouldn't exist. It suffers terribly from an identity crisis. Is it an arcade game? Is it a sim? It doesn't know what it wants to be. The driving is a bit sim-ish, the weather is pure sim and a benchmark for game weather systems as far as I'm concerned but the menus, unlock system, all arcade. Except there's no ability to upgrade your cars, which is another nail. The racing, whilst tight, is all over the place. Gran Turismo does racing right, it's still fun, has a million times more content, upgrades, etc. For arcade, GTA is pretty much top of the pile. It's a buggy, stuttery, shit graphics mess with physics that look like they were pulled from the 90s but it just works. It's not trying to be serious, it just takes the tools it has and fucks around, to a reasonable degree of success I'd say.

Driveclub has always been a lost game, it was meant to be some kind of open world MMO type thing where you can visit each others' garages, roam the free world and challenge others, but it just didn't work, like any MMO type racing game hasn't (Test Drive anyone?). They cut all that and turned it in to a racing only game and whilst it's enough to keep some entertained, it was only a small element of a massive game. They removed the rest and suddenly the racing only aspect felt more like a PS2 game than a PS4 game. Glaring holes in the content, missing TONS of stuff to do, it's just... not all there. 

Oh I totally know that I'm the minority, I kinda like Jack of all trades, master of fuck all games. Equally, I now know how it feels like to be @phil bottle and his love for Fallout 76 :D

It just goes to show, not all 'Games As A Service' can be saved after a god awful launch period. RIP.