Best 16:9 Monitor?

J4MES OX4D

I currently run a 21:9 setup but want to get another standard 16:9 gaming monitor on the side to use with certain games. Whenever I go online shopping, I always end up getting a headache and overwhelmed trying to get the best and ideal purchase. I'll hand it over to you guys for advice but my basic requirements would be:-

- 1440p preferable or 1080p

- 144hz or better

- 27 inches ideally

- IPS Panel

- 1ms response

The Asus ROG Swift PG278QR is £475 on Amazon from £629 which is a great deal for a G-Sync monitor with 2K and 165hz but that's still quite a bit of money for a monitor although it's a stunning price for what you get. Any alternatives you recommend? 

You screwed up by specifying that aspect ratio which makes people think you're talking about some oddball stuff, whereas 16:9 is the most common one nowadays, the kids today don't even know anything else. To be honest your list of requirements pretty much hits the Swift on the head, @phil bottle has one, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. 

Gigabtye have also just launched theirs:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-aorus-ad27qd-27-2560x1440-144hz-ips-freesync-g-sync-tactical-gaming-monitor-hdmi-dp-mo-000-gi.html

Your requirement for IPS is restricting you a bit to be honest, if you went for a VA you'd be opening up a whole list of more affordable ones which probably perform just as well, like LGs offering, which is 32" as well:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-32gk850f-32-2560x1440-va-freesync-2-hdr-144hz-1ms-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14z-lg.html#tech_specs

banlol.png

Cheers guys! The ROG Swift either PG278QR or PC279Q seem to be the best ones on the market and I've also been looking at the Acer Predator XB271HU which is also deadly with G-sync, 165hz and also under £500 now. The Dell S271DG is also on my list as reasonably priced with a good response time but only a TN panel.

Is VA really not that noticeably different from IPS then? If so then that could open the doors to a few beefy Samsung ones that are very well-priced. Trouble is these days is there isn't too many places around on the high street where you can make a comparison side by side on the spot. 

Not really, no. The colours will be slightly deeper but it's hardly that much of a difference. The main difference is viewing angles, so unless you wobble around your monitor whilst playing games, you'll be good to go.

Abuse Amazon's return policy, order a monitor and see what you think, if you don't like it, send it back. That's how most folks choose their kit nowadays.

banlol.png