RIP PS4?

Diddums

This could've gone in my PPR but I suspect there will be a few others with the same thoughts so fuck it: thread.

It'll come as no surprise to most that I'm just meh on console lately. It all started with Dave's PC when I was given some ridiculous last-gen hardware and had to make it all talk to each other, I thoroughly enjoyed it and these 980s in SLI absolutely shred anything I throw at them. On Medium on DayZ for example, at 1440p, I'm getting 90fps. I think the lowest it's been was 84 or so, so smoother as butter. Playing at 1440p is a game changer, I forgot how much I loved it. 

Anyway. I started a new character on WoW which started off just being a time killer for when folks aren't on or whatever but I'm really enjoying it again, granted it doesn't have the addiction it did years ago but if you're looking for a game for chilling and just roaming around, exploring, soaking in the lore and just enjoying the vast, (and I mean vast, one continent is more than both Destinys combined, and there are 4 of them) colourful, rich environments Blizzard has created. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoy it and it's well worth the fifteen bones a month.

Then there's Star Citizen, which I was gifted about a year ago, but it just destroyed my PC to the point of having to do hard resets. 8gb just wasn't even close to being enough. Now I can play it, and play it at decent settings too, and it just highlights the limitations of consoles, both on the hardware front and controls front. 

I haven't signed on the playstation in ages. Destiny 2 is dead, the only game I could see myself playing is Broforce but even then it's a short-burst game for an hour or so and then it's enough.

I was honestly bored shitless on the playstation. I was fed up of Density, CoD was decent for a bit but ultimately meh, Warframe is on PC and probably a million times better (haven't tried it, have it installed), played a bit of Division 1 but started a new dude and just wasn't feeling it. Apex legends, like CoD and all the other pointless games has no end game, no objectives, just spawn in, die, repeat. It's boring as fuck. Anthem? Well, we all know where that ended up.

Ark has potential but like most survival games, they split the community. The lack of common goals means everyone's running around like headless chickens, then someone comes in and drops a freakin' shark with lazer beams and suddenly any goals you had to work towards were gone because now you just walk around the map zapping everything. 

The PC has really rejuvenated gaming for me and I haven't been able to get off it for ages, whether it's repeatedly committing suicide in DayZ to meet up with @crispymorgan and @phil bottle or just cruising around in WoW doing fuck all or exploring space with Phil, it's awesome and feels so much better than consoles. 

It's probably just me, but I'm enjoying it so whatevs mang. 

banlol.png

Just now, phil bottle said:

I'll reinstall Warframe if you give it a bash on PC. I loved it on PS4 and on PC it's amazeballs. 

Have a solo playthrough the first bits and then - if you're feeling it - I'll join you.

Alright my love, I shall. We shall venture in to the sunset together and frolick in the sunshine, whoppin' space ass like the space cowboys we are. Gangsta 'n shit.

banlol.png

Just now, Diddums said:

Alright my love, I shall. We shall venture in to the sunset together and frolick in the sunshine, whoppin' space ass like the space cowboys we are. Gangsta 'n shit.

lol and as it's free I recommend PC newbies @GazzaGarrattand @Plumbers Crack giving it a go too😘

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

@GazzaGarratt get your PC sorted dammit, it's time.

I'm getting there (see below). Desk is coming next week and then I have to convince the wife to use more of our recent savings on a gaming chair I've found.

Heres the deal for me. I've missed PC properly gaming but my heart has always been in consoles. My desk is coming with extra places for some of my old consoles too. It still remains the easiest accessible platform for alot of FGers and I've noticed lately that I've got that used to playing with everyone here I can't play on my own much at all.

Destiny 2 bombed too hard before Forsaken and the reality of what's happened is we just haven't had that one or two games to reignite us. Remember, around Destiny we had Overwatch that kept us going for a very long time.

I'm really happy that you're finally playing games again more than anything (and now you have a PC proper you can be round here more innit 😘).

I dont want the "old days" back. They were ace moments and I'd rather say let's find the next new ones. And alot of them come from our grouping up nights on GTA, Modern Warfare, DriveClub, etc. All games accessible on PS4s.

Maybe the PS5 will change where people go next but I'll be damned if I'm leaving my PS4 friends behind - theres too many that dont have PCs currently.

20190404_182211.jpg

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Maybe the PS5 will change where people go next but I'll be damned if I'm leaving my PS4 friends behind - theres too many that dont have PCs currently.

This...been with Gary, Mazz, DaveyDave, Rodd, Mike, etc for well...Gary and Mazz must be 9 - 10 years now, since MW2

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I spent an outrageous amount of hours on the 360 and PS3 last gen but this time around I've only touched my PS4 for exclusives (which have been excellent but mostly single player) and spent most of the time on PC. I've had my PS4 for 5 years and enjoyed games like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Detroit Become Human, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us and plus others but with Call of Duty going stale/crap and games being technically restricted and performing poorly at 30fps; I've been mostly on PC this gen and the difference has been monumental especially with quality and choice available. 

The only time I've had PSN was a one month freebie and it's still as crap as it ever was except this time you're paying £50 a year. PC has also become the lead platform for many FPS games and other genres and it's becoming more and more accessible in the mainstream. People are learning not to buy an Xbox One X and games for £500+ when they can invest in a PC and get cheap games and a far more user friendly experience. 

I'm looking forward to the PS5 though and I hope it can deliver the same level of exclusives and be technically strong from the get-go. The PS4 was dated along with the Xbox One when it dropped and games really struggled to be optimised.  The range of early exclusives were fucking tragic and It didn't help that brands like COD which we were reliant with on the old gen went to shit and then seeing MP/social games being overrun with Battle Royale and ruined with loot box greed. 

I don't think there has been a truly ideal socially driven game like COD was in the old gen this time around. Instead we've been overwhelmed with a quantity of games that fall short or don't have that appeal.  Too many games that promised so much and failed also.  

I’m getting there, currently making a bootable usb for the comp. Fingers crossed that this works, hopefully should be finished with it all sometime this weekend.

Then I just need a desk and a chair and I’m sorted. I’ll buy a monitor from work,

it wont be a pretty one but will do me till I’m ready to fork out some cash on a nice one.

In terms of the PS4, I completely understand where you’re coming from. I feel we’re waiting around for the game that’ll unite us all but in all honesty that’s not going to be for a while. The console community is getting screwed at the moment, there’s a lack and imagination and a lack of listening to people. Hopefully it’ll change at some point but it may take a while.

I think we should give 7 Days and try again and see what they’ve done with it. I also think everyone should get Raft (only if it’s cheap) 

I was going to name more games but in all honesty I’d be here all day.