The Truth About Anthem

J4MES OX4D

Kotaku put out a scathing article about Anthem and it's horrendous development, with developer interviews and previously unknown details.  It's a long but very interesting read https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

EA are apparently furious about it being leaked so that's a bonus😎

This is quite possibly the biggest fuckup in many, many years. This can be added to the pile with ME:A, Fallout 76 and all the other DOA games. I knew it was bad but this really does highlight what a complete and utter clusterfuck it's been. Bioware and EA both to blame here. 

banlol.png

We now know that the E3 trailer from 2017 was fake - it was a tech demo laden with assets built on convoluted ideas that had only been named 'Anthem' a few days earlier. The game did not exist and the developers who watched the demo at E3 for the first time were essentially watching what they then had to go on and create.  LOL at 0:03

It's a fantastic but sad read that Jason Schrier has done. BioWare made the almightiest of screw ups and after reading all of this and understanding which bits are flat out lies and BS, it feels abit like a miracle that it got to 55 on Metacritic so far.

Hearing how hard that EA Frostbite engine is to work with just makes you lose most interest in any updates to the game because the underlying problems cant really be solved.

Casey Hudson (General Manager of BioWare) has come out to now acknowledge the report and that they need to and are acting on ways to improve the place for game developers.

I think this will also start a ripple effect through EAs games where they use Frostbite as FIFA was already showing major signs of lacking gameplay and this sounds like clearly another reason why people are moving to alternative titles.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Here is indeed the update from Casey https://kotaku.com/bioware-boss-addresses-studio-issues-vows-to-continue-1833802608

I've said it on a few occasions previous about my suspicions regarding Black Ops 4 and how there is no way in hell that the game we got (probably wasn't even a Black Ops game originally also) was the game they started producing back in 2016.  We knew that Anthem was a shitshow but we just didn't know how much of a mess it really was and there were similar suspicions about BO4 and how that went from a farcical Overwatch-clone into a recycled BO3 flip with ideas borrowed from current hot games along with having an 11th hour Battle Royale mode chucked in that was clearly rushed.  There was even tweets to support the fact that Vahn had to scrap the project after it was rejected by testers and low and behold we get yet another BO game painfully sandwiched into a timeline with no campaign, ripped assets and stolen ideas with no real innovation. 

I'd love for the truth to come out with that game as I bet it's not all that different from Anthem's mess albeit not as a prolonged, embarrassing or severe.  

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It's a fantastic but sad read that Jason Schrier has done. BioWare made the almightiest of screw ups and after reading all of this and understanding which bits are flat out lies and BS, it feels abit like a miracle that it got to 55 on Metacritic so far.

Hearing how hard that EA Frostbite engine is to work with just makes you lose most interest in any updates to the game because the underlying problems cant really be solved.

Casey Hudson (General Manager of BioWare) has come out to now acknowledge the report and that they need to and are acting on ways to improve the place for game developers.

I think this will also start a ripple effect through EAs games where they use Frostbite as FIFA was already showing major signs of lacking gameplay and this sounds like clearly another reason why people are moving to alternative titles.

You buy the season pass yet? 

banlol.png

24 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Here is indeed the update from Casey https://kotaku.com/bioware-boss-addresses-studio-issues-vows-to-continue-1833802608

I've said it on a few occasions previous about my suspicions regarding Black Ops 4 and how there is no way in hell that the game we got (probably wasn't even a Black Ops game originally also) was the game they started producing back in 2016.  We knew that Anthem was a shitshow but we just didn't know how much of a mess it really was and there were similar suspicions about BO4 and how that went from a farcical Overwatch-clone into a recycled BO3 flip with ideas borrowed from current hot games along with having an 11th hour Battle Royale mode chucked in that was clearly rushed.  There was even tweets to support the fact that Vahn had to scrap the project after it was rejected by testers and low and behold we get yet another BO4 game painfully sandwiched into a timeline with no campaign, ripped assets and stolen ideas with no real innovation. 

I'd love for the truth to come out with that game as I bet it's not all that different from Anthem's mess albeit not as a prolonged, embarrassing or severe.  

I'm cynical as fuck, it's a cross I bear. I realised that this was a crock of shit very soon after it was launched, something just always felt off. I always maintained that it was built as nothing more than a platform for microtransactions and even whinged like a little bitch about it on this very forum but not everyone felt the same way and I even had a pop at @GazzaGarratt about it because he's blind as a fucking bat likes to remain objective as far as games are concerned, and lo and behold, I was right.

Let the be a lesson to you all. I'm always fucking right. I am the messiah, sent from videogame heaven to help fulfill the prophecy and all that jazz.

banlol.png

4 hours ago, Diddums said:

You buy the season pass yet? 

Bought it? I have shares in them 😎

You are right, and at the start for a long time I didnt like it. I canned it and didnt think it would come close to Destiny. Then I gave it a chance after seeing demos (now we know were enticing you in and some total lies).

It still doesn't come close to Destiny as much as that's had it's fair share of crap and content droughts. At least that has some fundamental core fun things within it than just need some serious flashing out to get anyone back on it as burnout hits everyone at some point on that game.

The framework for this game seems to be if its flying, it's pretty good but if you're not, its shit (and every other dimension of it too).

What's more worrying is the entire game industry seems to be forcing this work culture on their devs, possibly partly our own fault given we want so much content 3 days ago.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb