RIP Anthem Feb 2019-March 2019 ?

J4MES OX4D

I can't see how the game can recover now - The Division 2 released today and seems a far more stable and well-produced game and this is off the back of a terrible week Anthem has already had with community fury regarding missing features and apparent lies from the developer all the way up to release being discovered. Supposedly a bug accidentally caused 'fun' within the game as items were dropping faster that the normal rate but BioWare patched that out immediately meaning it went back to a mundane grind. There were also reports that item stats are also broken so much so the first rifle you get in the game is actually the most powerful! This on top of the wealth of problems the game currently has and the fundamental issues that exist with the design. 

Anthem could very well be 2019's answer to Fallout 76! 

17 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I can't see how the game can recover now - The Division 2 released today and seems a far more stable and well-produced game and this is off the back of a terrible week Anthem has already had with community fury regarding missing features and apparent lies from the developer all the way up to release being discovered. Supposedly a bug accidentally caused 'fun' within the game as items were dropping faster that the normal rate but BioWare patched that out immediately meaning it went back to a mundane grind. There were also reports that item stats are also broken so much so the first rifle you get in the game is actually the most powerful! This on top of the wealth of problems the game currently has and the fundamental issues that exist with the design. 

Anthem could very well be 2019's answer to Fallout 76! 

Okay, I really dont think it will get completely left behind.

If you really look at all the reviews and the people that have it here @Nutcuttlit @J&B @SensaiNemesis, etc, they've all said the game is really fun and has some stunning parts to it - the loot is an issue as well as content at launch on which I can see.

I think most people agree that the game in around 3-6 months will be a pretty good buy because it should have had time to fix and release content and loot alongside the fact the game will be cheaper.

I'll pay £30 for it at some point after Cataclysms come out.

If EA had something about them, I'd make a marketing campaign as soon as all the large content comes out to recapture some audiences.

The underlying framework of a story, mechanics and gameplay (somewhat to Destiny 1 but a little less imo) is there and pretty solid and fun.

I'd like to be more positive about games rather than not anymore. The expectations of companies are at an all time high - yes,yes I know they had c.6 years. We'd still expect the world and more though.

I have seriously enjoyed anthem, four javelins to choose from with more coming soon. I can be a crazed melee master or a damage mitigation sponge and a death dealing ball of explosions all in one sitting, if that doesn't get the proverbial juices flowing I don't know what will. Yeah sure it's had it's issue but what game hasn't the division is having issues with ability deployment and cooldown timers

Via the FG App

Haven't played much since div 2 launched tbh but I had fun playing it and the loot drops really weren't that bad for me. I ended up playing 3 different javelins and getting pretty solid builds on them (enough to smash gm2 anyway) I would recommend it but I wouldn't push a sale of it on anyone.

Via the FG App

2 hours ago, Nutcuttlit said:

Haven't played much since div 2 launched tbh but I had fun playing it and the loot drops really weren't that bad for me. I ended up playing 3 different javelins and getting pretty solid builds on them (enough to smash gm2 anyway) I would recommend it but I wouldn't push a sale of it on anyone.

Via the FG App

Thanks. I’m considering getting it but not if it's still in shambles, with long loading times and getting kicked from lobbies and other shit. 

Angry Joe had another massive rant about it today. I feel for them as it does read like EA essentially forced them to go to market with an unpolished product which they are now paying for.

I'll still hold out until around summertime to see what the content looks like and if the bugs have got any better before dipping my toe into it.

The recent Elysium Caches update (or whatever they're called) seems to have split opinions on it. It goes some way to fixing loot and new diverse loot but they aren't anyway near offering variable armour items as it's all vanity wear with guns looking very samey.

A few months away from Cataclysms though so we'll see eventually how it pans out.

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Angry Joe had another massive rant about it today. I feel for them as it does read like EA essentially forced them to go to market with an unpolished product which they are now paying for.

EA are scum of the earth but I don't think they are to blame with this one. They gave BioWare almost 7 years to get a very basic game format to market and the developers failed miserably especially with the core fundamentals.  This studio has been given substantial backing in this gen and it's failed with each game it's put out.  

Even if Anthem was given another 3 years, it still wouldn't address the failings attributed to the core fundamentals. The fact the game isn't seamless and is plagued by loading screens is the most fatal flaw right off the bat especially when compared to rival games and that's down to bad game design and development. 

BioWare wouldn't have received such generous backing over the years under any other AAA publisher especially with their declining reputation. 

On 3/27/2019 at 6:31 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

EA are scum of the earth but I don't think they are to blame with this one. They gave BioWare almost 7 years to get a very basic game format to market and the developers failed miserably especially with the core fundamentals.  This studio has been given substantial backing in this gen and it's failed with each game it's put out.  

Even if Anthem was given another 3 years, it still wouldn't address the failings attributed to the core fundamentals. The fact the game isn't seamless and is plagued by loading screens is the most fatal flaw right off the bat especially when compared to rival games and that's down to bad game design and development. 

BioWare wouldn't have received such generous backing over the years under any other AAA publisher especially with their declining reputation. 

It's a fair point about how long BioWare have had it in development. Is suppose it was always doomed to pair these two up together.

20 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It's a fair point about how long BioWare have had it in development. Is suppose it was always doomed to pair these two up together.

For reference, TD2 had a total development of two years- first line of code to launch. 2 years.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Lead producer of Anthem Ben Irving has left BioWare after 8 years of service. Be interesting to see whether they try and salvage something by installing a new producer with a fresh perspective or if they'll just pull the plug altogether. It'll probably be the latter especially as it's EA. 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

Lead producer of Anthem Ben Irving has left BioWare after 8 years of service. Be interesting to see whether they try and salvage something by installing a new producer with a fresh perspective or if they'll just pull the plug altogether. It'll probably be the latter especially as it's EA. 

Really? Wow. Then this really is dead in the water.

I've not seen any info on the cataclysm event they were bigging up to be the alternative to Destiny raids and their other twitter guy has gone completely silent too. Never nice to see a game flop so hard but I do hope other game companies use this example as what not to deliver to market from Day 1. 

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I've not seen any info on the cataclysm event they were bigging up to be the alternative to Destiny raids and their other twitter guy has gone completely silent too. 

I believe the event went live earlier this month but nobody cared or realised it happened. EA and BioWare just kept silent rather than drawing attention to it I think after its initial dead reception. 

Another big name at BioWare, Fernando Melo, has also left the studio after 12 years of service. That's a huge blow not really to Anthem but to Dragon Age 4, any new Mass Effect plus what's left of BioWare going forward. 

You can just see DA4 being some shitty online service with Anthem's horrible engine😂

On 12/4/2019 at 2:07 PM, phil bottle said:

For the lols I picked this up yesterday for £4.99

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I dont think that's a bad shout tbf. I should've done the same with No Mans Sky before it went back up to £20-25 when it fixed all its shit later down the line.

It's worth a punt if they fix it late next year. Just dont buy a pint innit? 🍺