Activision charging $25,000,000 for...

J4MES OX4D

...an eSport franchise spot in the COD League😂😂😂

Maybe if this was a decade ago and the franchise got its foot in the eSports door then maybe this would seem credible rather than laughable. The brand is in rapid decline, it's mocked as a competitive product, viewership is embarrassingly low and they haven't produced a game that's designed to accommodate this purpose since Black Ops 2.  The fact league play arrived 4 months late in BO4 just shows how serious they take this aspect and the $25m fee also demonstrates how money-grabbing they are.  Remember when they said the Uplink mode would redefine competitive online gaming...

There is money to be had in eSports no doubt but anyone fronting this kind of money whether it be full or a partial investment really needs their heads tested. I can't see COD ever becoming a popular eSport brand and I can't see it ever returning to the presence it once held. Most of the publicity it generates now is negative and Activision have done themselves no favours in tarnishing the series as a whole.  There's only a fraction of interested competitive players left too. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

...an eSport franchise spot in the COD League😂😂😂

Maybe if this was a decade ago and the franchise got its foot in the eSports door then maybe this would seem credible rather than laughable. The brand is in rapid decline, it's mocked as a competitive product, viewership is embarrassingly low and they haven't produced a game that's designed to accommodate this purpose since Black Ops 2.  The fact league play arrived 4 months late in BO4 just shows how serious they take this aspect and the $25m fee also demonstrates how money-grabbing they are.  Remember when they said the Uplink mode would redefine competitive online gaming...

There is money to be had in eSports no doubt but anyone fronting this kind of money whether it be full or a partial investment really needs their heads tested. I can't see COD ever becoming a popular eSport brand and I can't see it ever returning to the presence it once held. Most of the publicity it generates now is negative and Activision have done themselves no favours in tarnishing the series as a whole.  There's only a fraction of interested competitive players left too. 

CWL doubled its viewership in 2018 and now being on PC only help it. CWL 2019 also has a $6,000,000 prize pool. While my personal preferences call the game a piece of shit year after year, they pump money into it and some of the biggest organizations in all of esports got their start and still actively focus on Call of Duty. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

24 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

CWL doubled its viewership in 2018 and now being on PC only help it. CWL 2019 also has a $6,000,000 prize pool. While my personal preferences call the game a piece of shit year after year, they pump money into it and some of the biggest organizations in all of esports got their start and still actively focus on Call of Duty. 

It's highest viewership was around 80,000 and that was when Black Ops 4 launched which is still pitiful numbers really and also inflated due to Blackout at the time. That also taking into account it coming in off the back of WW2 which wasn't exactly a proper or successful competitive game either so doubling low numbers for an overall low number is still not much of an achievement. It's barely pulling 1% of your average CSGO major.  COD on Battle.net is already on life support due to lack of interest and it's even being overtaken by card games and other more credible brands built for competitive gaming from the ground up.  

Very ballsy of Activision to demand so much and plug this before the next COD game has even been announced too.  I wouldn't trust Activision with that sort of money especially after their cutbacks and cutting HOTS without notice either. 

_108296787_gettyimages-1157206935.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It's the first time a British club has seriously invested in e-sports outside of football title Fifa.

I wonder if Celtic had to ante up $25m ? That would make a whopping great hole in their transfer budget!

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 8/19/2019 at 7:07 AM, Plumbers Crack said:
_108296787_gettyimages-1157206935.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It's the first time a British club has seriously invested in e-sports outside of football title Fifa.

I wonder if Celtic had to ante up $25m ? That would make a whopping great hole in their transfer budget!

$25m? Celtic? Hmmm, okay....

Cant even buy a forward for 25k let alone 25 million! 😂

Must be some sponsorship deal with some gaming companies imo.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb