Budget laptops with 120Hz/144Hz Refresh Rate

MogwaiPower

Hello.

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on gaming laptops please. I get bad headaches from 60Hz refresh rates and am looking for a budget laptop with a higher refresh rate (120Hz or 144Hz) but can't afford more than £1,000 tops.  Would also need minimum of 4 USB ports.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Cheers

Hey there, i'm just finishing up lunch at work so haven't had a lot of time to look but this looks to be a pretty decent gaming laptop with a high refresh rate and also 4 usb ports. 

Some basic info on it:

• Price £887.99
  • 7th-Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor, up to 3.8 GHz (Boost clock)
  • Portable gaming performance with GTX 1050 4 GB graphics
  • 120 Hz 15.6" Full HD Wideview display.
  • ASUS AURA 4-zone RGB Gaming Keyboard. Scar Edition design with kevlar pattern on palm rest.
  • 128 GB PCIEG3x4 NVMe SSD OS Drive + 1 TB FireCuda Hybrid Data Drive; 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Comprehensive connectivity with 2x2 802.11ac, USB 3.1 Type-C, HDMI 1.4, and Mini Displayport

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235071&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleUKAdwords-Global-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleUKAdwords-Global-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Laptops-_-N82E16834235071&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKqYh_rb4AIVTrftCh3RKgjXEAYYASABEgI2gPD_BwE

I'll try and dig some more out for you.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-tuf-fx504gm-plus-backpack-optical-mouse-fhd-i7-8750h-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-gtx-1060-6g

Also if you're getting head aches then there's a 20-20-20 step, which is every 20mins, look at something around 20ft away for around 20 secs. Apparently it works a treat.

5 hours ago, MogwaiPower said:

Hello.

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on gaming laptops please. I get bad headaches from 60Hz refresh rates and am looking for a budget laptop with a higher refresh rate (120Hz or 144Hz) but can't afford more than £1,000 tops.  Would also need minimum of 4 USB ports.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Cheers

My colleague Mr @tronic44 is possibly one of the most helpful people you're ever likely to come across :)

However, it's generally good form on this site to introduce yourself as your first post.

Please do, we're all dying to know all about you and welcome you to the FG family.  There's a forum sections entitled: Introductions.

Looking forward to it:)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks Tronic44.  That's great ... I'll have a proper look at the specs tonight. Thanks for spending the time to look into this for me. 

Sorry Phil Bottle for not introducing myself ... will do so ... just in a rush this morning.

Maybe the Etch a Sketch is the way to go 😂🤔

The etch a sketch is a great idea but you may want to get an external hard drive with it, don’t think it’s storage is very big 😏

Youre more than welcome dude, if you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask. Also like Phil says, you should definitely introduce yourself and tell us more about you. We a pretty friendly group here and regularly game together.

Thanks ... yep, hard drive a good idea with the Etch a Sketch, but might need to hunt around for the right cables 🤔

I hear that some gaming laptops can be a bit noisy due to the fan ... can anyone tell me if they're all like that as I think that might do my head in a bit ... are some less noisy than others?

Cheers

Thanks ... yep, hard drive a good idea with the Etch a Sketch, but might need to hunt around for the right cables [emoji848]

I hear that some gaming laptops can be a bit noisy due to the fan ... can anyone tell me if they're all like that as I think that might do my head in a bit ... are some less noisy than others?

Cheers
An overheating laptop will do your head in more than the sound of a laptop fan. If you're planning to play games I'd advise getting external fans to keep it cool.

Saying all this despite suspecting I'm just replying to a market researcher[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks Phil Bottle.  Sorry if I made you think I'm not genuine ... I'm definitely not a market researcher .... I'm a violin teacher/musician!,  but I totally understand that you have to be cautious 🙂.  I've just added my introduction message and apologies for the delay.  I was just asking about the fan as I'm intending to use the laptop for music production as well as other stuff, so a noisy fan isn't great when you're writing music. Hope this clarifies 😎✌️🙏

Most of the fan noise would come from the graphics card.  My guess is that when you are running your DAW, it wouldn't stress the laptop *too* much, unless you run a billion VSTs.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

Thanks crispymorgan. That's good ... I use an Atari with Cubase for music production at the moment and have a very noisy external SCSI hard drive hooked up to my sampler (fan noise) and I have to turn the whole thing off as its so loud. I'm guessing you can't turn off the fans on a laptop. 

It seems my Intro didn't post for some reason. Will do it again.

Well, from my research, it seems that if you get a computer with Max-Q Design, they're quieter.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/nvidia-max-q-faq

https://en.softonic.com/solutions/what-are-the-best-quiet-gaming-laptops

So far, I haven't found a 'quiet' one that's under £1000! 😤