My PC is NO LONGER knackered damnit

phil bottle

You really have explained why when we first met I have always had reservations of fully going back into the PC world. I always worry for that day when your PC becomes irrelevant or 'old' even when it doesn't feel old.

I hope the new build last 10 years mate [emoji1696]
I think my issues stem from a lightning strike on my house a couple of years ago. I always leave my PC unplugged but the Ethernet was still connected. My modem was fried and when I got a new one, I found that the ethernet port on my PC no longer worked. Instead of investing in a new mobo, I just added a new port.

But still, now I've reconciled myself to the expense (I was planning on a new mobo and CPU by 2020 anyway) I'm quite excited to be upgrading.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

New parts should all be here by Wednesday.

Mobo:
Asus ROG Strix Z390

CPU:
I7 8700

RAM:
Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 16GB

Hopefully get it all installed by the end of the week, maybe Friday, as I have the day off work.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

25 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah, I won't be going out much for a while after this, may even have to pack up the ciggiesemoji22.png

So actually, upgrading your PC is good for your health and wellbeing? I'm starting to think that it was a saving grace you left the ethernet cable in.....

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 3/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

You really have explained why when we first met I have always had reservations of fully going back into the PC world. I always worry for that day when your PC becomes irrelevant or 'old' even when it doesn't feel old.

I hope the new build last 10 years mate 🤞

The thing is a PC becomes ‘old’ the same way consoles do.  The only difference is your pc isn’t good enough vs a new console generation stopping you playing the latest games.  Either way you’re looking at an upgrade to carry on gaming.  PC’s do cost more initially but then they (can) last longer, games are cheaper and not to mention all the other things PC’s do.

22 hours ago, phil bottle said:

New parts should all be here by Wednesday.

Mobo:
Asus ROG Strix Z390

CPU:
I7 8700

RAM:
Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 16GB

Hopefully get it all installed by the end of the week, maybe Friday, as I have the day off work.

Nice one Phil, any reason you didn’t go k this upgrade? I thought intel chips still clock quite well.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

The thing is a PC becomes ‘old’ the same way consoles do.  The only difference is your pc isn’t good enough vs a new console generation stopping you playing the latest games.  Either way you’re looking at an upgrade to carry on gaming.  PC’s do cost more initially but then they (can) last longer, games are cheaper and not to mention all the other things PC’s do.

Nice one Phil, any reason you didn’t go k this upgrade? I thought intel chips still clock quite well.

It is K. You made me double check there for a second lol

I expect to overclock to 5ghz without any issues :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I was surprised it wasn’t a k so good to know it actually is.  A hex core at 5Ghz should be enough for a while.  Shame you didn’t fancy jumping to the red team though [emoji6] 
If I hadn't just bought a cpu cooler I might have considered it.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Hopefully I'll be back on tomorrow, possibly tonight but I have loads of things to reinstall as many of my single player games were on the HDD.

Been delayed, as the new PSU had an issue and caused me much frustration. It blew my optical drive, just for starters. Had to return it. I won't go into it too much or Lee will have nightmares. I learned a lot the past couple of weeks...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Finally got the little beast going. It's practically a new PC after all the shenanigans, with only the SSDs surviving. It's been 2 weeks of stress but I must admit I'm very happy with the outcome.

The case is glass on one side, and even though I thought I wasn't a tart for lighting, I have to admit looking at the ram changing colour is fucking sweet.

Windows 10 won't fully activate as it's a OEM Windows 7 Pro upgrade on a new MOBO but I'm going to moan at Microsoft about that tomorrow.

New PSU is a 1000W Corsair (the EVGA is being returned and refunded by Amazon).

CPU running at 4.3 for the moment, and I didn't overclock it, so looks like I have a good 'un. [emoji39]

I played BF5 on ultra settings. 180 FPS (1080p) and no fan noise.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Nice one Phil, it’s been an ordeal but should be a pc to last you a long time.  It will be interesting to see how much the extra cpu grunt helps you in games like star citizen.
Cheers dude[emoji4]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

There you go @Diddums

My new set up:

New CPU:          i7 8700K 4.4Ghz 

New Ram:         HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB

Cooling:             Corsair H100i Pro

PSU:                   Corsair RM1000x

Case:                 Coolermaster MC500

Mobo:               ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H

All I have left from the previous build are the two SSDs and the glorous Nvidia MSI GTX 1080ti.

Grainy footage below

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Looks ace Philly, liking the sound of Hackney in the background too [emoji3] 
When I heard that back, it was what I imagined America was like when I was a little boy[emoji23]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

48 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:

@phil bottle with all the hardware changes, did you not have to buy another copy of Windows 10?

That was an unexpected issue, as my Windows was OEM, and Microsoft don't allow transfer of Windows where there has been a significant hardware change (motherboard specifically).

Microsoft do allow you to use Windows if you have the software installed (I'm still using the same SSD), but won't allow personalisation and has an ever present message on the screen, even in games, asking you to activate Windows. 

Fortunately, I found that I could buy a license key from a seller on Amazon for £5 which would activate W10 Pro. I bought it and it didn't turn out to be a scam :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

One final update on this is that a certain Mr @Diddums managed to find me a monitor from his workplace, and then delivered to my house, in a feck off big pink van, none other than a 27 inch ASUS ROG Swift, full of 1440p 144hz goodness.

Thank you so much you absolute beauty:)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg