News Ticker
  • Welcome to FG
Spacedeck

What Are You Currently Reading?

Do any of you have anything you are reading? Books? Comics? Magazines?

I'm currently reading SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard.  I recently watched her BBC documentary called Meet the Romans, so thought I'd continue my reading with her book.  I find the whole Roman Empire pretty fascinating.

I’m reading the Mistborn trilogy again.  Just started getting back into reading.  I’ve never re-read a book(s) before, but I’ve been recommending this series for years and on a whim decided to pick it up again.  Such a good story.  Not sure what I’ll do next but I’ll probably try out some nonfiction stuff.  I’m a huge history fan and have always wanted to study European history in more detail.  I’ve actually been looking at AP European History textbooks which may sound strange but I like getting right to the facts of stuff without all the fluff

Currently started to re-read 'Life and Fate' by Vasily Grossman. It was banned in Russia and would possibly be one of the most important books of the 20th century but for the fact that it took a long, long time to publish.

When Grossman submitted his manuscript in Russian in 1960 he was told it could not be published for 200 years. Two years later he was dead of stomach cancer, his novel confiscated, “arrested” as he said, for he had assaulted Soviet totalitarianism.

Also I just started a collection of Asimov's robot short stories.

Doing some light reading at the moment with "The Iron Druid" series.  They aren't as good as Neil Gaiman's stuff, but they are a fun little romp through mythology set in modern times.

I've finally got my arse together and bought the Destiny Grimoire Anthology Volume 1 off Amazon. I wanted to have some light reading in bed one or two nights so why not start with Destiny? 😜

I started the Wheel of Time series again. (6th time 😲

This time I got to start with the prequal, New Spring. Book 1 and now 2 makes more sense now.

Still captivates me even when I know the story well, not to say how it ends. 

15 books including the prequal. 

I started the Wheel of Time series again. (6th time
This time I got to start with the prequal, New Spring. Book 1 and now 2 makes more sense now.
Still captivates me even when I know the story well, not to say how it ends. 
15 books including the prequal. 
Awesome, I made it to book 6 back in the 90s, you made me want to go back to it.

I'm halfway through my re-read of Neuromancer. So far I remember nothing from the first time I read it. It's like a new book. Great story, not so sure about the writing style.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Awesome, I made it to book 6 back in the 90s, you made me want to go back to it.

I'm halfway through my re-read of Neuromancer. So far I remember nothing from the first time I read it. It's like a new book. Great story, not so sure about the writing style.

It gets a bit boring around book 5-7. But picks up again after that. 

What genre is Neuromancer? 

It gets a bit boring around book 5-7. But picks up again after that. 
What genre is Neuromancer? 
Its science fiction, credited as one of the founding works of cyberpunk genre.

11 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Its science fiction, credited as one of the founding works of cyberpunk genre.

Might check it out but cyberpunk is generally not my cup of tea.