Fibre optic broadband installation...

Madjonny

So I'm having fibre optic broadband installed by Virgin media Tuesday, and I was wondering about the installation...

I assume there isn't already fibre optic cables at my house, so does this mean they are installing all new underground cables?

How do they do it?

We have block paving driveway so it's bit a case of dig up a bit of grass to lay the cable, and first it's a recently done driveway so there is no way they will be allowed to tamper with it...

Or will there be ducting underground anyway?

We don't care if they dig up the pavement but there is no way we will let them dig up the drive...

Anyone had fibre installed, and know how this works?

blackops2sig.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fibre is installed in numerous ways. The easiest means tying some fibre onto the existing copper cable, and pulling it through like that. The most difficult means starting from scratch. You'd be surprised at how non-intrusive they can make it. 

Odds are that the cable has been there for years, they've just connected it to an exchange. What BT and Virgin tend to do is wait up opportunities, so rather than dig up a road for a cable installation, they wait for the road to be resurfaced and hit two birds with one stone. Of course that cable might not actually be connected to anything, but once the next stretch of resurfacing goes down, they'll connect more or even hook it up to an exchange. 

It's pretty complicated, but all you need to worry about is having that socket in your house. They can't simply inconvenience people every time they want to lay a bit of cable, that requires months of planning permissions.

banlol.png

I wish fibre optic was available here! My 0.9mbps is pretty depressing :(

Back on topic, I don't think they would be allowed to dig up your property without permission so I wouldn't worry about that.

I can't wait! I'm getting like 4.1 atm, and it's just shite...

I feel for you, 0.9 =O...

blackops2sig.jpg

We had VM installed a few years back then had block paving laid over where we park the cars. Said to the builder "shall I get you some conduit to put the cable in?" "Naw, mate, it's in sand. If it gors wrong, they can pull a new piece through" ....... Never pay any attention to someone like that!

The telephone copper cables (on the out side of the interwebz cable) went down a pair at a time. Called VM who said we'd have to take up up part of the block paving. We said no, we'll keep the Broadband and TV and get phone from Bt via overhead cables

Long story short, when we block paved the rest of the front we put a conduit in and went back to. VM for the telephone.

VM is OK for interwebz, we've been with them since they were NTL, very few problems. Hope you have the same luck

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I don't know Diddums, it happens 50% of the time with Virgin. My advice jonny is to move for 4-6 months to give them the time to dig up the house and the road and then after a building inspection and other legal checks you'll be good to play your PS4 in July.