Your Anthem Impressions

J4MES OX4D

I went into this game with an open mind despite a lot of concerns previous but having spent some time with the demo, the game seems even worse than I expected. I take note that this demo is an 'older build' that for some reason the developers have provided us with as a selling point but I can't see substantial enough changes that will improve the game dramatically towards release and beyond.  The game is nowhere near on par with the likes of The Division or Destiny so staying with those is a much safer bet. They aren't groundbreaking either but at least they are content-laden and highly established brands. 

Anthem demo breakdown

+ Some impressive looking areas visually

+ Pretty solid combat mechanics

- Horrible UI and menu functionality

- Long loading screens

- Loading screens triggered by other players ahead that interrupt your play

- Enemies that stand still and/or disappear 

- Messy battles

- Guns feel a bit tame

- Flat atmosphere

- Bland environments that are largely empty

- Poor up close textures

- Uninspired story and characters

- Controls are a bit cumbersome off the ground

- Fort Tarsis is devoid of things to do

- Shallow foundation

- Expensive

- Endgame content concerns

I think this game will probably need a serious amount of support post-release along with some significant content dropped regularly to keep it fresh. I am deeply worried that after seven years of work that this is the end product with such a seemingly limited package marred by fundamental flaws and shortcomings. Even Warframe seems to do a lot better across the board. The Division and Destiny despite their issues were highly immersive and very environmentally impressive but Anthem feels very lackluster and unspectacular. 

I’ll be interested in revisiting the game after a year, Division 1, Destiny/ Destiny 2 style.

That game was beautiful on my machine I just know how I play games and if there’s not enough endgame content I’ll shelf this game quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I liked what I played. It's not perfect but it's decent enough.

Movement and shooting are both solid.

My biggest issue is that the UI is awful as mentioned above. And there are too many loading screens and it takes ages to load. I had a mission, went into an area and got a loading screen. Left the area 30 seconds later and was greeted with ANOTHER FUCKING LOADING SCREEN.

fart.gif

I don't know how long the beta had to run but I uninstalled it last night.  The loading screens are just too immersion breaking and you literally have to be holding hands with your team mates so one doesn't go adrift and then trigger a loading screen which means everyone else can't finish their battles or collect loot. I also died and it took about 4 minutes to respawn.  

If the final build is plagued by so many stop-start loading screens then it could prove an infuriating experience.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:38 AM, MrBiron said:

I''ll be getting this but not at launch. I enjoyed it but the crashes and loading screens are too much. I'm waiting to find out what the finished game is like.

As much as I disappointingly didn't get to try it and wanted this game to be a mainstay for FG like Destiny, I just can't see myself now buying it at launch.

I have an urge to, but if many here are sitting tight and waiting then I'm happy to stick with Destiny and look forward to Division 2 instead. I'm sure it'll save me a tenner if I wait a few months.