Epic Store V Steam

Valve received a blow today after Ubisoft withdrew The Division 2 from the Steam Store meaning Valve wont receive their 30% starting cut for every copy sold, and instead it will appear on the Epic Store instead for around 12%. Valve also missed out on big grossing games like Destiny 2 and Black Ops 4 which went went to Battlenet. EA also have long left the platform. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/9/18174375/division-2-pc-epic-games-store-steam

What's worse for Valve is that this comes soon after they ammeded their revenue tiers were amended to be more favourable towards developers and big earners https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1697191267930157838

Does serve Valve right IMO - they got very comfortable sitting on 30% as the games wheeled in and now the store is a bloated mess and publishers finding better deals elsewhere on less cluttered storefronts, they are going to miss out on possibly $billions in the long run. 

This isn't going to result in cheaper prices, it will only result in a bigger cut for the developers.  If it means the developers have a better chance of survival, I'm all for it.  I don't see why so many complain that if a game isn't on Steam, they won't buy it. I'm seeing this a lot with The Division 2 now that it's been removed from Steam.

Different launchers isn't really much of an issue, there are programs out there to combine all your games into one launcher.  I only ever load up the launchers when I want to play something anyway, so I don't have any of my launchers (inc. Steam) to load up when I start Windows.

As long as the launcher is a decent one, i can't stand Origin. It pains me to even have it installed on my computer.

43 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:

This isn't going to result in cheaper prices, it will only result in a bigger cut for the developers.  If it means the developers have a better chance of survival, I'm all for it. 

This! Developers need all the help they can get, i think it's great that we have these platforms for people to be able to upload their games to and have the public play them. I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get your own game onto Epic Store, i do like steam for how easy that is. Also they always have sales on :lol:

Steam has had little to no competition for awhile. While the lazy person in me is annoyed that it's another launcher, I cannot be upset for companies not wanting Valve to get the massive cut (30%) that they do for Steam.

1. Blizzard App- Great. 
  2. Uplay- Great
  3. Steam- Great
  4. Epic- Subpar
  5. GOG- Subpar
  6. Origin- Bad
  7. Twitch- Bad

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD