News Ticker
  • Welcome to FG
Shucker

Rockhounds?

I bought my daughter (6 yrs old) a rock tumbler for Christmas. Don't worry, she got many much more exciting toys with immediate gratification. Anyway, even though it's slow going, the results are pretty amazing. Are there any rockhounds or collectors in FG?

71w7kOsXi4L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-Rock-Tumbler-Starter/dp/B01I56RV0C/

Not from my family but I've never ever seen anything like this before. It does look like something my kids would love to. Dax would get a sensory kick out of the spinning tumbler and Yara would love the precious stones that end up coming out. When you have some results before and after would be cool to see.

We figure it'll help teach her a little patience too since each of the four stages takes about a week. :)

I don't really know what I'm looking for out in the wild, but when we're out and about or at the beach, we keep our eyes open for cool stones that might be worth tumbling. Will try and remember to post something in two weeks time.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:29 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

tumbler3_medium.jpg?v=1472101490

Well if they turn out like these ones after finding those stones the kids would freak out!! Nice find Shucker.

They already look very close to that, but only when wet. Once they start to dry, they get kind of cloudy. The last step is polishing and that's where they're supposed to keep that shine. Also comes with jewellery settings so kids can put smaller stones in a pendant or glued to a ring.

21 hours ago, Shucker said:

They already look very close to that, but only when wet. Once they start to dry, they get kind of cloudy. The last step is polishing and that's where they're supposed to keep that shine. Also comes with jewellery settings so kids can put smaller stones in a pendant or glued to a ring.

Really? That is cool. I'm starting to think my girl would now love it more due to the ring and pendant ideas.

They love going on walks now so I'm going to see if they can save some rocks that look like they have some colour in them. The wife seems to approve so a good birthday present for sure!