The Mad Box

GazzaGarratt

Slightly Mad Studios CEO has just tweeted out that they are going to enter the console market with something that will contend with the PS5 and the new Xbox.

It's a pretty bold move if you ask me, taking on the big boys but you never know. Open dev kit for anyone to create games for it and the likelihood that they will be creating the very latest specs available whereas Sony and Microsoft could be holding it back for theirs.

120 FPS on a console that is like a very fast PC 2 years from now? You wouldn't just say that would you?

I mean, they made Project Cars so not sure if their previous work can be linked to this in any way.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Pretty pointless I'd say. Unless they have bottomless pockets and give it away for free.

SEGA couldn't cope with the demands of the console market and even Microsoft didn't come good until their second effort.

Mad by name, mad by nature. Particularly when console architecture is turning into Steambox type PC hardware. Unless they have some kind of USP we're not aware of...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Pretty pointless I'd say. Unless they have bottomless pockets and give it away for free.

SEGA couldn't cope with the demands of the console market and even Microsoft didn't come good until their second effort.

Mad by name, mad by nature. Particularly when console architecture is turning into Steambox type PC hardware. Unless they have some kind of USP we're not aware of...

I like the ballsy attitude as it would be cool to see something new enter the market. You've hit the nail on the head though mate, they must have some top USP or guaranteed AAA title makers on board to say this.

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Plus, how many TVs can cope with such mooted high speeds?

I imagine it won't be long until we get 120 FPS on tv's as standard. Maybe a bit longer for affordable ones. 😂

They seem to have been doing some concept drawing and feedback sessions and have now ended up with the below product. They've still said it may slightly change but this is what it will be. Also has the game you're playing written on the front. Looks better than the ones before, but this all feels still a little visionary and not too real yet. Still talking a good talk though.

IMG_20190112_100059.jpeg

IMG_20190112_100101.jpeg

IMG_20190112_100105.jpeg

IMG_20190112_100110.jpeg

Very interesting. The idea that you can have an open source console to develop your own games on is pretty fucking cool. I wonder how much it’ll cost because a dev PS4 is fucking expensive and hard to get your hands on. I’d like them to bring the cost down and get developers excited 👍 It’s fairly simple to port games to different consoles now a days, but actually getting the chance to test it yourself is the big one.