Battlefield 5 Is Out

J4MES OX4D

Bit confusing due to the game having 3 release dates but for Origin Access Premier subscribers; they get to play 11 days early.  You can actually sub for one month for £15 and have access to all EA's games including BF5. Deluxe purchasers who paid like £20 more to get 5 days early but still 6 days later that Premier players can play on November 15th before the game gets released to everyone else on the 20th. 

Anyone got it or planning on getting it? Single player looks impressive visually but plays pretty bland and is only 6 hours long.  I still can't judge the MP and if any improvements will make a significant change from the beta.  BO4 has really went to shit after just three weeks but I dunno if this is the answer. 

Only picking this up if most other FGers do as well. Just don't see what's different to BF1 and Blops 4 should have a good run in it still into next year.

5 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I've already got this on order. Should have it today.

Let us know how it goes.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I'll pick it up next summer

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There may be a cheeky deal around Christmas based on how sales are likely to go. I bet this ends up around £25-30 on Black Friday. It then becomes marginally more tempting.

I bit the bullet and picked it up cheap on CDKeys in the end. Had a few games of Conquest earlier and found it to be pretty bland in all honesty.  It is basically musical chairs with flags - it's very hard to defend a position and very easy to gain them so essentially games just decline into trading flags. You can also get shot in any direction it seems as the matches have no real flow or strategy unless every squad is in sync. Nobody seems to know what the fuck they are doing either.  I will try the Grand Operations next because Conquest doesn't seem to work well on any of the maps and that's supposed to be the traditional flagship mode. No improvement over the beta really. 

Movement mechanics seem fuid but the gunplay is inconsistent and the animations are pretty wonky. Visually the game is stunning maxed out on PC and runs smooth as butter but the live service UI is horrible.  The respawn times have also been cut thankfully.  Still too early to judge fully but this feels like it's the weakest and most incomplete Battlefield game on launch yet. Higher level players (people who paid £30 more to play a buggier game 5 days early) also have a huge advantage over new players too and the starting guns are a load of horseshit. 

12 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I bit the bullet and picked it up cheap on CDKeys in the end. Had a few games of Conquest earlier and found it to be pretty bland in all honesty.  It is basically musical chairs with flags - it's very hard to defend a position and very easy to gain them so essentially games just decline into trading flags. You can also get shot in any direction it seems as the matches have no real flow or strategy unless every squad is in sync. Nobody seems to know what the fuck they are doing either.  I will try the Grand Operations next because Conquest doesn't seem to work well on any of the maps and that's supposed to be the traditional flagship mode. No improvement over the beta really. 

Movement mechanics seem fuid but the gunplay is inconsistent and the animations are pretty wonky. Visually the game is stunning maxed out on PC and runs smooth as butter but the live service UI is horrible.  The respawn times have also been cut thankfully.  Still too early to judge fully but this feels like it's the weakest and most incomplete Battlefield game on launch yet. Higher level players (people who paid £30 more to play a buggier game 5 days early) also have a huge advantage over new players too and the starting guns are a load of horseshit. 

Apparently grand operations is

^ I played my first Grand Operations match yesterday on Norway and we won the first two rounds of the day but lost the last one so despite 'winning' 2-1, we lost the overall match and lost it by one fucking ticket! We pissed the first two rounds as well. 

First round was like Rush where we had to repel the enemies from planting on 3 bomb sites. Did that easy and it was quite enjoyable because everyone was focusing on 3 forwarding positions on the map on either team. Next up we had to prevent the enemies from capturing two points on the map - yet again this was quite enjoyable, balanced and extremely frantic. The match flowed really well and it was great fun once again. The final round it all went to shit as it was a conquest format but because we wont the first rounds (I assume) we started with a 3 flag head start but less tickets (for some reason) and flags are so hard to defend as it is so they managed to turn it around and with their head start in tickets already, they won that and the entire bloody match! 

It just felt so unfair and a complete waste of time after all that effort especially defending successfully in rounds one and two. You can essentially get battered first two rounds without any consequence it seems.  It's clear that Conquest is the problem in this game as the maps are just not suited for it because they are too small. I don't know the rules and winning conditions in Grand Operations is but after yesterday, it seems you just have to win the last one to seal the match. 

Played a few more matches today on Conquest and got to sample all the maps available. I did play in some very entertaining games which were a lot of fun but it's still hard to overlook some fundamental design flaws and bugs. The attrition system works well and is certainly better than the stingy beta but having experienced all the maps, the air and tank element seems very weak in this game. Infantry is really the best and most effective way to play. 

This game is seriously beginning to test my patience - the bugs are fucking unbearable and occurring in their droves especially today. Here's a few that are persistent:-

- randomly swapping to secondary weapon when firing primary

- Class weapon keeps changing back to first weapon before each game

- Rubberbanding after being revivived

- Squad leader interface often bugged and unresponsive

- Quit button not working after match - ALT F4 is required

- Netcode is inconsistent beyond belief

- Mantling is broken 

- Explosives seem to be impacted by endless invisible barriers

Another one is animations of opponents can mislead - a player running forwards but looking to the side will appear as if they are simply looking and running forwards so if you flank, it may look like you've got the upper hand when actually they are looking right at you even though the character could be facing a different direction or appearing to look away.  

On 11/26/2018 at 9:34 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

This game is seriously beginning to test my patience - the bugs are fucking unbearable and occurring in their droves especially today. Here's a few that are persistent:-

- randomly swapping to secondary weapon when firing primary

- Class weapon keeps changing back to first weapon before each game

- Rubberbanding after being revivived

- Squad leader interface often bugged and unresponsive

- Quit button not working after match - ALT F4 is required

- Netcode is inconsistent beyond belief

- Mantling is broken 

- Explosives seem to be impacted by endless invisible barriers

Another one is animations of opponents can mislead - a player running forwards but looking to the side will appear as if they are simply looking and running forwards so if you flank, it may look like you've got the upper hand when actually they are looking right at you even though the character could be facing a different direction or appearing to look away.  

That’s awful, sounds like it’s not even close to being a working game. This sounds more like an alpha than full game.

2 hours ago, tronic44 said:

That’s awful, sounds like it’s not even close to being a working game. This sounds more like an alpha than full game.

Apparently there is a big patch coming December 4th. Not sure what the notes will be but they have a lot of fixes to do that's for sure.

53 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

If they reduce the size of the guns that would be a start. Seemed to occupy the whole screen when I tried the beta. Made it feel too cumbersome...

Did you try it on console Phil? Apparently the FOV is terrible on there and can't be changed. On PC you can scale the HUD down, ramp up the FOV and apart from that really chunky vertical gun, it seems to appear decent enough. I do play on 21:9 admittedly so I'm not sure about the standard 16:9 but certainly on PC it can be fiddled with. 

6 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Did you try it on console Phil? Apparently the FOV is terrible on there and can't be changed. On PC you can scale the HUD down, ramp up the FOV and apart from that really chunky vertical gun, it seems to appear decent enough. I do play on 21:9 admittedly so I'm not sure about the standard 16:9 but certainly on PC it can be fiddled with. 

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap copy on PC. FOV slider FTW :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

No one 'actually cares anymore' [emoji23][emoji23]

Couldn't have put it better, I feel like it will never come out of the shadows of CoD.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I'll probably still pick this up at some point, almost went for the 50% off deal on console but I'll just get the PC version this time round.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just wait until CD Keys has it for a tenner😎

Then it must be really, really bad! 

CoD should never be the gold standard of a game these days.

You say that but it isn't the worst game in the world and there isn't many FPS war games that beat their revenue figures of late.

Just wait until CD Keys has it for a tenner[emoji41]

Not a bad shout but my birfday is in Jan so looking forward to seeing if this on sale just before that.